KVM/Switching Unit

Hi All,

After some help and/or advice if possible.

I am looking to purchase a KVM/Switch unit so I can use my keyboard and mouse both on my personal PC with DCS installed, and also on my laptop sat on a docking station. Both the PC and the laptop will have a separate monitor, so graphics capability won't be needed.

From what I can see I can get a reasonably priced unit that will allow me to hook up my keyboard/mouse and up to 2 more peripherals, and then output it to both my PC and my docking station - obviously used at different times.

Questions are:

1. Is it as easy and straightforward as it appears to be? Is there any lag when using?

2. Any suggestions or experience as to a decent reliable unit - looked on Amazon and there are so many I am not sure what is good/not good?

3. In addition I am also contemplating using a powered USB hub for my DCS setup - as I am running out of USB ports on my PC - for my TM Warthog and Pedals. Will this solution work ok or is it best to keep them plugged in to the PC direct?

Thanks for any help in advance...

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Well it has been over a decade since I used a KVM switch but running  either PC I never experienced and lag per say. Not sure but does Startech have any KVM Switches? I would reccomend a Powered USB hub but make sure you have enough amps for the ports you have on the hub..

So basically you figure .5 amps per usb plug so if it is a 6 port Hub make sure the amps on the power pack is near 3 amps.. usually they use less but .5 should even it out.. if you have USB DEview you can see the power draw on your USB Devices to figure power needs..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Thanks @The_Nephilim - advice well received. Managed to get a small USB switching unit through Amazon - more of a KM switch without the V - which works just fine as the V wasn't needed. Just now trying to track down a decent powered USB hub.

One more question different subject - contemplating getting the TM MFDs - are they worth it?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Your Welcome hope it works out for you.. as for the MFD's I like them but once I got VR did not use them as much but if you fly the A10C or F16 heck even the F18 could use them they are pretty neat. and if you use a monitor you could always get those little monitors to use as a real MFD of sorts..

So if you are a fan of DCS and getting the MFD's are pretty cool in a way especially if you like having flight gear on your desktop..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2