TM Warthog

Hi Guys,

I'm a DCS "pilot" for the F14 and the F18 for a few years now and i am using the TM Warthog Throttle and joystick and for the rudder pedals I am using the T-Flight from TM (they are not high end, but my bank account isn't high end either 🙂 ).

I have a real soft spot for the AH-64D and I'm going to buy the beauty I think.... My question is however can you fly helicopters decent with my hardware ? (Throttle, Joystick, pedals) I haven't flow a single helicopter in this game so I honestly have no idea...

But I'm reading about collective sticks etc... makes me wonder if you actually need it or not...
Can you just use one throttle for throttle and the other one for collective ?

In any case, thanks for taking the time to answer !

I've had similar hardware past few years until my throttle died. I was flying helicopters without problems but if you want 1:1 experience would be best to upgrade, from my opinion you don't need to.
Also you can try all modules for 14 days on standalone version so try some helicopters and you will see.
More about it here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

Send from my Poco F2

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM 

18 minutes ago, bonux1987 said:

That´s what I use to fly the Huey (with inverted Collective)

But I was asking myself the same thing. It works fine with the Huey as it only has one engine. The Apache has two, so I assume you would need two axis for throttle. Then again, in the Huey on startup you go full throttle and basically never touch the throttle again. Is it the same with the Apache ?

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Eugel:

Then again, in the Huey on startup you go full throttle and basically never touch the throttle again. Is it the same with the Apache ?

Unless you encounter an emergency, it should be. At least it is this way in all other DCS choppers I fly (Mi-8, Mi-24, Ka-50, UH-1, UH-60). Don't know why the Apache should be an exception here since it is optimized to assist the pilot as much as possible.

Regarding the TO question: Your setup is more than enough. The thing is that high quality equipment (incl. stick extension) makes it easier to learn controlling a helicopter, especially during a hover. But once you understood it and got some practice you can also fly it halfway decent with a  simple playstation controller using the thumb-sticks. You can even take off and land without crashing just using the keyboard. But that is neither precise nor fun.

Point is: You don't need any more special equipment for helicopters than you need for a full airplane setup (stick, paddels, thrust/collective). Higher quality equipment just make things easier and more enjoyable. That's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eugel said:

basically never touch the throttle again. Is it the same with the Apache ?

It's the same with all helicopters so far as I can imagine. There's no necessity to be fiddling around with the throttle after start-up. That's sort of why I think the Virpil collective which includes the throttle section is a bit of a waste of money... it's like an extra $80 or something for a function you use once, maybe twice if you do a shutdown.

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I flew the Huey for a few years using the Warthog's left axis for the throttle and right one for collective which I always found worked well, In the Hind, also the other 3 helicopters I used the axis joined together for collective which also worked well. Your setup will work great for the Apache but as Wychmaster said a stick extension will help also. 

Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

bonux, I have a Virpil collective right now, but flew Blackshark and the Huey for years (now the Hind too), with Saitek X55 throttle without problems. I had inverted axis to be more realistic. The only problem I had is when I hover with the Harrier (no inverted axis), get confused sometimes, hehe.

As other said, try some tryout helis first if you want.

Edited by nachomaga

1 hour ago, Eugel said:

That´s what I use to fly the Huey (with inverted Collective)

But I was asking myself the same thing. It works fine with the Huey as it only has one engine. The Apache has two, so I assume you would need two axis for throttle. Then again, in the Huey on startup you go full throttle and basically never touch the throttle again. Is it the same with the Apache ?

You could run no throttle binding if you wanted. The only thing that matters is the collective, like @Turd Fergusonsaid the throttles are more for eps and starting up and shutting down. You don’t mess with them under normal conditions in flight. 

• Like 2

There are real life helicopters that don’t have throttles anymore. Now I’m not saying I would want to lose access to the throttles in real life, but if you didn’t have the home setup that supports binding the throttles for dcs, you could use a mouse or key binding I think. Mine will be bound because it makes doing silly ep stuff possible, I like to do those sort of things, and I have enough controls to do it. Just saying people stress over the throttle a bit much when it’s usage is during start up, shut down and eps. Think of it like the apu. If you’re not binding your apu, you probably don’t need to bind your throttle. Just food for thought that’s all. 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 3

Great question as I was gonna ask the same thing. Im using the TM Warthog Hotas but I just upgrade the stick base to a Virpil CM2 base and using the TM warthog /viper grip. I preordered the Apache the other day and was wondering the same, using the TM Throttle with it. I also have the Huey that I have not spent any time with so I’m glad to hear this setup will work. I don’t have the room for that fancy Virpil Collective although it’s a beauty and knowing now Virpil’s built quality is fantastic!!!!

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 minute ago, kgillers3 said:

I would recommend inverting the axis so you don’t have to fight the afterburner lockouts if the warthog has it. But it’s ultimately however you like it

On the Worthog, you easily remove or swap out a little piece of plastic, that are the detents. 😊 

You can definitely use the Warthog throttle for any helo module in DCS (I've done exactly that for years and was perfectly able to do anything with more than enough precision), so I'm sure it'll also be more than fine to use with the Apache. As mentioned before, reversing the axis adds a bit to the experience.

Personally, I only switched to the Virpil collective to notch up immersion a tad. Apart from that, unlike other pc hardware, this kind of hardware (HOTAS sets in general) tends to hardly loose it's value. So if you don't like it, or need the money for something else, you can always sell it without too big of a loss.

So again, the Warthog throttle will do just fine and you really don't need a $xxx,- or even $x.xxx,- collective to enjoy the Apache.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

23 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

There are real life helicopters that don’t have throttles anymore. Now I’m not saying I would want to lose access to the throttles in real life, but if you didn’t have the home setup that supports binding the throttles for dcs, you could use a mouse or key binding I think. Mine will be bound because it makes doing silly ep stuff possible, I like to do those sort of things, and I have enough controls to do it. Just saying people stress over the throttle a bit much when it’s usage is during start up, shut down and eps. Think of it like the apu. If you’re not binding your apu, you probably don’t need to bind your throttle. Just food for thought that’s all. 

Totally agree with the throttle, I have no binding and never miss it. Handy if you are short of keys in your notas, and the Apache I think is going to need lots of other important keys.

• Like 1

Just now, Phaze11111 said:

So is there a list somewhere showing the recommended bindings for all the buttons & switches on the WH throttle and stick?  Thanks! 

For which module? Chuck's Guides have a recommended binding for the respective aircraft near the beginning of each guide. 

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

@Phaze11111 

There's multiple posts that have ideas on how someone is going to set up their own personal controls with what they have.  Along with supporting info.  Feel free to ask if you're not sure what a button does but alot of your questions have probably already been answered in other posts if you just look. 

As others have already said the TM warthog should work beautifully. I use it for the huey using the left throttle for the throttle and right throttle inverted for the collective and find I have the precision I want. My brother has a collective and its a nice addition and feels special to use but it's certainly not essential. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:35 PM, bonux1987 said:

Hi Guys,

I'm a DCS "pilot" for the F14 and the F18 for a few years now and i am using the TM Warthog Throttle and joystick and for the rudder pedals I am using the T-Flight from TM (they are not high end, but my bank account isn't high end either 🙂 ).

I have a real soft spot for the AH-64D and I'm going to buy the beauty I think.... My question is however can you fly helicopters decent with my hardware ? (Throttle, Joystick, pedals) I haven't flow a single helicopter in this game so I honestly have no idea...

But I'm reading about collective sticks etc... makes me wonder if you actually need it or not...

In any case, thanks for taking the time to answer !

Hoping to keep this thread warm as I'll be using the Warthog HOTAS for the Apache as well. I know there are other posts such as this but I hope to focus on the Warthog here. As for the power lever, Wags said here that he pretty much leaves it at FLY unless for a training situation or an engine out. I plan on using the slider on the Warthog throttle base for this. My only experience with the Apache was Jane's Longbow2, and that was so long ago. Learning and mapping the AH-64D when it comes out is going to keep me busy!  

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I have a TM Warthog that I'm using for AH-64 as we speak, I'm trying to get all of the mappings down but I'm so used to flying planes I'm not sure what's crucial to map and what's not (if that makes sense). I will say you may have to adjust the sensitivity a bit, I've found that even the slightest input seems to make the Apache start rolling like absolutely crazy.