VR and trackIR icons next to player-names in MP score chart

D4n

It would be awesome when we can see on PvP servers which users are using VR and TrackIR at that very moment, 1. to see if one team is stacked with VR/TrackIR players vs. the other team almost purely using joystick coolie-hat for view-control for example, and 2. to see after a dogfight whether the killed player or the player who shot you down was using VR/TrackIR at the time.

It would also finally allow us to collect statistics on whether VR pilots are better pilots than TrackIR- or coolie-hat players (and to confirm this theory once and for all).

Thank you.

Edited by D4n
  • Like 2
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• D4n changed the title to VR and trackIR icons next to player-names in MP score chart

Also mobo, processor, memory, graphics card, storage device, peripherals, seat, age, height, weight, visual acuity, trekkie or star wars.

• Like 17

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Oh come oooon guys...... 😑 what do you mean by "what proof the radar fluid is" though? 🤔 (strange english)

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

37 minutes ago, D4n said:

what do you mean by "what proof the radar fluid is" though? 🤔 (strange english)

The -21 uses an alcohol coolant to keep its radar from melting its way out of the airframe. So it's important to know whether the coolant has… ehm… dual-use potential. 😛

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I find it important to know what music people listen to - so I can finally prove that listening to AC/DC while strapped in is actually worse for your flying skills than listening to Maiden. So show the iTunes link next to the name.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cfrag said:

I find it important to know what music people listen to - so I can finally prove that listening to AC/DC while strapped in is actually worse for your flying skills than listening to Maiden. So show the iTunes link next to the name.

Every body knows that already! 

Aces High!🤘🏻

14 hours ago, cfrag said:

Who uses iTunes to listen to music? 😂 Even implementing a button in DCS that copies a YouTube link into the Windows clipboard would be way too hard to program, DCS would need access to the webbrowser that you're listening YouTube in... VR config however should be very easy to fetch, since the VR headsets are listed in device manager, and I guess it's even possible to fetch the state of the device (whether activated or deactivated in device manager) and checking if SteamVR is running or not

Edited by D4n

3 hours ago, D4n said:

implementing a button in DCS that copies a YouTube link into the Windows clipboard would be way too hard

Perhaps I was jesting, trying to make light of a request that - I think - serves as little purpose as requesting to know what music someone listens to while flying.

Let me try and put it differently: Why do you think it relevant if someone is using VR? What about Keyboard-Mouse vs Joysticks vs full HOTAS gear? Or a full cockpit with 3 screens? Hours logged in DCS? Player's sobriety (or lack thereof)???

IMHO, all meaningless statistics. If you get beat, you get beat. If you want a better game experience, get VR. Only the latter is your choice, so ignore the former 🙂.   

Edited by cfrag

1 minute ago, cfrag said:

Perhaps I was jesting, trying to make light of a request that - I think - serves as little purpose as requesting to know what music someone listens to while flying.

Let me try and put it differently: Why do you think it relevant if someone is using VR? What about Keyboard-Mouse vs Joysticks vs full HOTAS gear? Or a full cockpit with 3 screens? Player's sobriety (or lack thereof)???

IMHO, all meaningless statistics. If you get beat, get get beat. If you want a better game experience, get VR. Only the latter is your choice, so ignore the former 🙂.   

No, your initial assumption was correct. He clearly wants to see if there is a trend towards having "better" peripherals = more kills.

22 hours ago, D4n said:

whether VR pilots are better pilots than TrackIR

The entire premise is wrong - it only makes sense to compare that if we have established their 'naked' skill before, and then see how they perform if one of them gains VR. 

Good tools don't make a good artist, they can merely enhance existing skill.

Give me a perfect brush, and still my best drawing is crap. Give Edvard Munch a broken old toothbrush, and even his worst offering will be a masterpiece in comparison. Even in VR I will lose against a moderately skilled pancake driver - I'm just not a good combat pilot, VR or not. 

VR doesn't make you a better pilot. It sure as hell makes you have more fun - but we don't have to measure to know that. Of course VR is a better tool in sims than flat screen. Is there anyone seriously contesting that? Still won't help me if I accidentally stumble upon GS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Of course VR is a better tool in sims than flat screen. Is there anyone seriously contesting that?

I'd say it depends. If you're only talking about a pure flatsceen, I will agree that it's getting better. (Please stop writing "pancake". I'm sure you don't mean it as such, but is sounds utterly superior and demeaning for those that can't/use it for various reasons. 😊

But if you're talking about a full simpit like the Warthog Project I know what I would choose. 

But VR has stereo scopic vision, which unfortunately NVIDIA removed support for in flatsceens. When pure "mixed reality", or what is called, comes along, so one can use their own "simpit", and with a better FOV. Then VR will get hard to beat. 

I'll might build a 1to1 simpit in the future, but only if I have the real estate, (obviously the most expensive part), to have the projectors on the outside of a transparent sphere. But I will probably go VR first. It's just not good enough yet. 

My personal opinion. 

Cheers! 

20 hours ago, cfrag said:

Why do you think it relevant if someone is using VR?

Of course VR is a better tool in sims than flat screen. Is there anyone seriously contesting that?

Maybe depends on the VR headset, a very strong screen door effect can cause specs (hostile aircraft, black dots in the sky) to become harder to spot than on a flat screen. But indeed the main advantage of VR over TrackIR should be the 10x better immersion of "feeling" where your jets' nose is actually pointing at while you're twisting your head far up or anywhere really. And yes, in the past I really have met pilots who claimed TrackIR is better than VR . . . 😶 (Maybe due to increased fps? 😆)

What about Keyboard-Mouse vs Joysticks vs full HOTAS gear?

Good point but imo not as important as the VR thing since we can assume almost all players who survive 30 minutes on a PvP server to use HOTAS or at least Joystick anyways.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:07 AM, D4n said:

Maybe depends on the VR headset, a very strong screen door effect can cause specs (hostile aircraft, black dots in the sky) to become harder to spot than on a flat screen. But indeed the main advantage of VR over TrackIR should be the 10x better immersion of "feeling" where your jets' nose is actually pointing at while you're twisting your head far up or anywhere really. And yes, in the past I really have met pilots who claimed TrackIR is better than VR . . . 😶 (Maybe due to increased fps? 😆)

Good point but imo not as important as the VR thing since we can assume almost all players who survive 30 minutes on a PvP server to use HOTAS or at least Joystick anyways.

Just one more attempt for a player to become a “star bellied Sneech”. 
Einstein had a theory, no need to probe that here either….

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

• 4 months later...

Please ED, it will still bring a massive amount of balance to all those amazing PvP servers that are a great part of society, a place that brings people together and where new friendships are formed every day. TrackIR is just too powerful with a slight unrealistic head-movement and bam there goes that AIM-9X 90° to the side, vs VR players who actually have to turn their head a full 90° like real military trained airforce pilots. Thank you. Oh and please ignore Yink (he's crazy full of humanity-hostility and a lot of hate, he has a problem with the idea of every DCS player making friends in DCS). Thanks.

Edited by D4n

14 minutes ago, D4n said:

TrackIR is just too powerful with a slight unrealistic head-movement and bam there goes that AIM-9X 90° to the side, vs VR players who actually have to turn their head

If you feel that VR puts you at such a disadvantage and being competitive is so important for you, then you should use TrackIR. VR is a choice after all. Nobody is forcing you to use it. 
Your example probably represents a 1/100th of a second advantage. I have a hard time imagining this makes any real difference when there are so many other factors involved.

• Like 3

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

1/100th of a second advantage

what do you mean by "second advantage"? And TrackIR is expensive plus I don't have the space around my PC for my VR headset and  TrackIR gear.

1 hour ago, D4n said:

what do you mean by "second advantage"? And TrackIR is expensive plus I don't have the space around my PC for my VR headset and  TrackIR gear.

A second as in the unit of time. TrackIR is not expensive (in most countries), it costs less than any VR headset. And it doesn’t really take up space, it’s just a little head reflector and a small camera on the monitor. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, D4n said:

Please ED, it will still bring a massive amount of balance to all those amazing PvP servers that are a great part of society, a place that brings people together and where new friendships are formed every day.

It will not affect balance in the slightest. Largely because it does nothing. It will only affect the excuses people will weakly try to offer for why they were shot down, since it couldn't possibly be that the other player simply played the encounter better than they did.

Coincidentally, players without headtracking have access to a feature that provides even better tracking and even more “unrealistic head movement” than TIR or VR can offer.

5 hours ago, D4n said:

Oh and please ignore Yink (he's crazy full of humanity-hostility and a lot of hate, he has a problem with the idea of every DCS player making friends in DCS).

Being able to see if a player consistently gets thrown out of other servers seems to be entirely in line with that kind of idea. I can only think of one reason why anyone would be against that…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

12 hours ago, D4n said:

Please ED, it will still bring a massive amount of balance

Apologies, but I believe for this idea we still need to establish at least two important points

• Prove that Track IR does provide an unfair advantage: that the same pilot with TIR performs markedly better than without
  • Prove that adding said marks/icons negates that advantage. 

I believe that the proposed remedy to an (assumed) unfair advantage does not mitigate the issue, and merely serves to further inflame an already highly unfortunate discussion. "You only won against me because of (assumed unfair advantage)" isn't helpful in any conversation, is rife with undue accusation and can spoil the fun for everyone. I believe that adding potentially incendiary iconography wouldn't serve to establish balance. If you feel that people on your server are cheating, I recommend that you try and come to a gentleman's agreement with them, or ban them.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 2