Refresh rate - huge impact for me

markturner1960

Hi and apologies if I am staying the blindingly obvious here, but I just discovered a massive improvement in my VR performance while fiddling with settings, trying to figure out how to  turn motion reproduction on and off.

Basically, I have up until now had the headset set at the refresh rate of 90hz, being the recommended rate in pretty much every set up guide. Anyway, I changed it to 60 hz in the WMR portal settings window and ran DCS….I have been struggling to get decent performance in VR for ever, which is especially frustrating given my PC specs, at 90hz, I am struggling to get over 40 FPS, with high teens GPU frame times and more importantly, CPU frame times over 30. 

Running at 60 hz, I have both CPU and GPU frame times around 12 -14 ms and frames at around 30 -45 FPS. Most importantly it’s so smooth. I have some very slight judders in the cockpit when panning, but the difference is night and day……So I use thought I would pass that on.

I don’t want to spam the thread with other stuff, so will post separately on my continuing issues with motion reproduction, as I can’t seem to see any difference with it turned on or off…….

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Glad it's helped, if you're ok with the 60Hz refresh flicker then awesome 🙂

For reference try reducing your steamvr to 100% and turn on MFAA in the nvidia control panel, as you're running MSAA it essentially gives you 4xMSAA quality for zero performance impact.  You should get a heap of frametime back by reducing the resolution.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I can notice a slight flicker, but only out the corner of my eye, straight ahead, it’s fine and it only seems evident in the sky, not over land scenery……., will have to see how annoying it is over longer time periods, but the smooth stutter free graphics more than make up for that at first impression.

Cant believe I missed any discussion on this previously………

My monitor has a 60hz r3fresh rate, but Don’t see that effect when flying in 2D…….why is that?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I was the same when I initially switched from 90 to 60, saw the sky flickering for about 20 minutes and nothing since then; I can't tell any difference between the two refresh rates now.

No idea on the monitor, I suspect it might be to do with the latency of the headset panels in combination with the close proximity to your eyes, the moon phase and possibly if bears crap in the woods!

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Yeah if one is not bothered at 60 Hz then that is a good way to go with the G2 to get better performance.

I was too sensitive to it myself, gave me a swimmy feeling and did not care for that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

19 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

My monitor has a 60hz r3fresh rate, but Don’t see that effect when flying in 2D…….why is that?

Your monitor doesn't flicker its backlight at 60hz - it just keeps it on, whereas most headsets flash their backlight at the refresh rate of the screen so you only see the image briefly. This is because they don't want the image to persist as you quickly move your head as doing so would lead to very brief moments where the image feels like its in the wrong place, making some people sick.

Even in desktop displays that don't have backlights (like OLED), there tends not to be a long period of blackness between updates because they don't care about that motion sickness problem.

Additionally, the headset image takes up a much bigger chunk of your field of view, and people are more sensitive to flickering in the corners of their vision. If you had a CRT monitor (low persistency) and put your head so its display took up as much of your FOV as your HMD, you'd probably notice the flickering.

Edited by frenzon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2