CCIP of F18 is inaccurate for me

FrostLaufeyson

In my testing, the CCRP is very accurate, almost like magic. But I find that CCIP bombs are always less accurate, and their final hit point is always lower than my CCIP crosshair.

I have no problem with my GPS and AGR is on, but it just isn't accurate. This problem has been bothering me for a long time, is this a normal performance or a problem in the game?

My trk file shows several CCIP bomb drops, my operation may not be very standard, but you can definitely find that my drop point and bomb hit point are inconsistent.

I‘m posting to ask if anyone has the same situation as me.

ccip not accurate.trk

The Hornet IRL is supposed to be capable of 1 MoA accuracy in CCIP bombing. That's approximately 5x more accurate than the F-14 when dropping dumb bombs, to the point that the Navy stopped tasking the Tomcat with dropping unguided weapons entirely. 

Right now the experience in DCS is the exact opposite, and it feels quite wrong.  

• Like 1

vor 33 Minuten schrieb FrostLaufeyson:

In my testing, the CCRP is very accurate, almost like magic. But I find that CCIP bombs are always less accurate, and their final hit point is always lower than my CCIP crosshair.

I have no problem with my GPS and AGR is on, but it just isn't accurate. This problem has been bothering me for a long time, is this a normal performance or a problem in the game?

My trk file shows several CCIP bomb drops, my operation may not be very standard, but you can definitely find that my drop point and bomb hit point are inconsistent.

I‘m posting to ask if anyone has the same situation as me.

ccip not accurate.trk 580 kB · 2 Downloads

Havn't watched your track yet but I also noticed that my bombs always dropped a bit short when using CCIP. Wasn't sure if it was just me being incompetent. Will try it on the weekend again.

Mine are falling short too most of the time. Don't have a trk and I'm not a good 'dumb-bomber' in any way but though I feel the same inaccuracy.

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

5 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

The Hornet IRL is supposed to be capable of 1 MoA accuracy in CCIP bombing. That's approximately 5x more accurate than the F-14 when dropping dumb bombs, to the point that the Navy stopped tasking the Tomcat with dropping unguided weapons entirely. 

Right now the experience in DCS is the exact opposite, and it feels quite wrong.  

I took a QUICK look at the track in Tacview: (this is the first drop)

image.png

image.png

Slant range (at drop) is 1.21 nm = 7352 feet... Impact is 62ft from the target. 1 MOA @ 7352 is about 735in = 61.25ft ... 

Unless, of course, I messed up somewhere! (Always possible!)

What is the width (in MOA) of stadia mark of the F-18 HUD?

One thing I'm doing as of late if to reduce the brightness of the HUD to get a better look at the targets...

Just now, FMBluecher said:

I have done a bit of testing and found that the Hornet in CCIP drops consistently 200 ft short of where the pipper is in a 45-degree dive from about 20,000 ft. I ripple two at a 200-foot interval and the second bomb almost always hits exactly where the first one should.

Wait are you saying when you ripple 2 with 200ft spacing the second bomb hits where the aim point was? Because that's not 200ft short, its 100ft short.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 minute ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Wait are you saying when you ripple 2 with 200ft spacing the second bomb hits where the aim point was? Because that's not 200ft short, its 100ft short.

That's what happens. My understanding is that the first bomb is supposed to hit where the aim point was, and the second bomb is supposed to hit 200 feet beyond that--is that wrong? FWIW, when I drop bombs in singles or pairs (with no interval), they also seem to hit about 200 ft short.

25 minutes ago, FMBluecher said:

That's what happens. My understanding is that the first bomb is supposed to hit where the aim point was, and the second bomb is supposed to hit 200 feet beyond that--is that wrong? FWIW, when I drop bombs in singles or pairs (with no interval), they also seem to hit about 200 ft short.

AFAIK the standard behaviour for aircraft is the aimpoint represents the pattern centroid. I don't have anything specific for hornet, but its certainly supposed to work that way in harrier

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

11小时前,FMBluecher说:

This is how CCIP works for F18 in the game, so does CCRP

P%CPW8M5%8%MR2S9W%%HAY9.png

So according to you, the two bombs should have landed 100 feet on either side of the target. However, the problem with the CCIP crosshair actually caused your bomb to drift 100 feet, and finally the second bomb landed on the target.

13小时前,Draken35说:

I took a QUICK look at the track in Tacview: (this is the first drop)

image.png

image.png

Slant range (at drop) is 1.21 nm = 7352 feet... Impact is 62ft from the target. 1 MOA @ 7352 is about 735in = 61.25ft ... 

Unless, of course, I messed up somewhere! (Always possible!)

What is the width (in MOA) of stadia mark of the F-18 HUD?

One thing I'm doing as of late if to reduce the brightness of the HUD to get a better look at the targets...

I don't really understand these specific calculation, but even so. . The bomb will deflect these distances each time. So doesn't it just need to move the crosshair down a little to solve the problem?

Edited by FrostLaufeyson

9 hours ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

This is how CCIP works for F18 in the game, so does CCRP

P%CPW8M5%8%MR2S9W%%HAY9.png

So according to you, the two bombs should have landed 100 feet on either side of the target. However, the problem with the CCIP crosshair actually caused your bomb to drift 100 feet, and finally the second bomb landed on the target.

OK, thanks (to you and Swiftwin9s) for clearing that up for me! But yeah, as you say, there's still a problem there.

• 1 year later...
  • ED Team

Hi all, 

we are ware of a POS/AINS issues and it is being worked on. 

thanks

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 7/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, BIGNEWY said:

we are ware of a POS/AINS issues and it is being worked on. 

With GPS it is meant to work currently then? I may just be bad, or misunderstand what's being said here, but I also noticed the point being off with AGR and GPS. What I typically do when bombing a tank, is to press the button when I'm past the tank about 2-3 tank lengths. And then I get pretty close. That way I can use a smaller spacing. 

10 hours ago, Tin_Rat said:

With GPS it is meant to work currently then? I may just be bad, or misunderstand what's being said here, but I also noticed the point being off with AGR and GPS. What I typically do when bombing a tank, is to press the button when I'm past the tank about 2-3 tank lengths. And then I get pretty close. That way I can use a smaller spacing. 

There is an option to UPDT the GPS which may cause a very minor shift in hud targeting. I’m not sure exactly how it works (I don’t use ccip very often). Perhaps try that as you get very close to the target location, just to see if it changes. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

There is an option to UPDT the GPS which may cause a very minor shift in hud targeting. I’m not sure exactly how it works (I don’t use ccip very often). Perhaps try that as you get very close to the target location, just to see if it changes. 

The UPDT option is used for correcting INS positional drift, analogous to the FIX options in the F-16 (only available if the position-keeping mode is not POS/AINS).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, Tholozor said:

The UPDT option is used for correcting INS positional drift, analogous to the FIX options in the F-16 (only available if the position-keeping mode is not POS/AINS).

You’re probably right, but I *do* see the bomb fall line shift very slightly (I’m talking pixels here) after UPDT/ACCPT in gps mode. 🤷🏻‍♂️