Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

That's appreciated, but why is Cobra never posting those things here in the Forums?

@jaguara5where did you find that?

Edited by MemphisBelle
  • Like 5

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

6 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Heatblur Discord
https://discord.gg/heatblur-simulations

Other 3rd parties has the same as your "main" comunication channel.

That was where I looked first but did not found the update on their Discord (I´m a member there since a while already), then I just found it on their Reddit, thx

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Nice update!!

"nextgen core framework" sounds interesting! I can't wait to hear more about that, but I can wait until EA starts, more important to get people burning holes in the skies than this hidden aspect to development!

1 час назад, MiG21bisFishbedL сказал:

Never before has Robin Olds been so well modeled.

People dunk on DCS for lacking gameplay elements like the dynamic campaign engine and whatnot, but there's a lot less attention to the value of DCS from historical perspective. It kind of serves to commemorate the aircraft for posterity as an interactive digital construct that helps people experience it in a way they would hardly even hope to otherwise. It kind of applies to the maps too. And in this context it makes absolute sense to pay tribute to Robin Olds, and guess what, the Black Shark pilot looks pretty much like Dmitri Avtukhov, the IRL Black Shark test pilot. I wonder what La-7 and the Intruder pilot models will look like :music_whistling:

Edited by WarbossPetross
  • Like 10

On 3/22/2023 at 3:09 PM, Rick50 said:

Are you talking about the new freeware mod by VSN  that just recently was released? It seems so, but maybe I'm reading you wrongly.

In any case, this thread discussion is about a payware full fidelity Phantom module that is not available yet. In fact we don't yet have a solid date for when it'll be available.

In short, this is in Heatblur Simulation's sub-forum. If you look at this video you will see many glimpses of Heat's Phantom gunfighter, the "E" in action:

-----------

Yes I was referring to the freeware VSN mod, as not being compatible with the Clickable FC3 mod.

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

11 minutes ago, Oberst Struppi said:

Anyone got an idea what POD the F4E is carrying on the picture above?

The only Pod i know is the AN/AVQ-26 „Pave Tack“.

This one on the picture looks totally different to the Pave Tack Pod. 🤔

AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike

Pave Tack however will be coming on the later DMAS F-4E.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 minutes ago, Oberst Struppi said:

Anyone got an idea what POD the F4E is carrying on the picture above?

The only Pod i know is the AN/AVQ-26 „Pave Tack“.

This one on the picture looks totally different to the Pave Tack Pod. 🤔

Should be a AN/ASQ-153\AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike.

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

are these pods can be used at night time?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

33 minutes ago, ebabil said:

are these pods can be used at night time?

No, TV only, no FLIR capability. Also no automatic target tracking afaik.

Pave Tack that will be featured on the later DMAS upgraded F-4E will have both features though. This one will be very old school, early TGP for daytime operations.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

wow. I didn't think that we would get a worse pod than lantirn. the good looking device though

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

40 minutes ago, SgtPappy said:

Is the LANTIRN bad? I always found it incredibly good on the F-14.

So your eyes must be like Hubble Telescope. The only things I can see are the Lego bricks: Thankfully Jester does the job for me

• Like 1

Youtube

3 hours ago, ebabil said:

So your eyes must be like Hubble Telescope. The only things I can see are the Lego bricks: Thankfully Jester does the job for me

Haha I see what you mean. My eyes are only slightly better than the LANTIRN so to me, there's almost no difference! 😅

• Like 4

On 4/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, WinterH said:

No, TV only, no FLIR capability. Also no automatic target tracking afaik.

Pave Tack that will be featured on the later DMAS upgraded F-4E will have both features though. This one will be very old school, early TGP for daytime operations.

Nope, neither pod has automatic target tracking - so no point or area track as many will be used to, only gyroscopic, direction stabilisation (so more like the Hind's sight). I don't even think they have derotation systems either, so if the pod "head" is upside-down (i.e when looking backwards), the image will be upside-down as well. EDIT: In this footage taken from Pave Tack during Operation El Dorado Canyon, you can see the image rolling as the pod rotates, and appears upside-down when the pod is looking behind.

Pave Tack does however have "computer rate aiding" but the -34-1-1-2 states that this is used to aid manual tracking.

Pave Tack also has a couple of features Pave Spike doesn't - for instance it's possible to cue the pod to an IP or a pre-programmed target position (which will probably be as close to an area track as you can get) as well as a few pointing modes (snowplow, left, right, forward and terrain monitor). It also has a memory mode, however, it looks like this is mostly intended to aim the pod back to where it was looking when memory mode was engaged (if say, the pod briefly exceeds gimbal limits), but the laser is inhibited in this mode (and for that matter, the only mode where the laser isn't inhibited is in the manual track mode, so long as the pod isn't pointed within the laser inhibit region). It's also possible to slave the AGM-65 LOS to the pod's LOS.

It should be said that according to this image there's an optional autotracker module for Pave Tack, but nothing of the sort is described in the -34-1-1-2 (and said -34-1-1-2 is a 1986, revised 1990 edition).

You are right however in that the Pave Spike is day only and the Pave Tack is FLIR (both first generation, so expect a noticable decrease in resolution).

On 4/10/2023 at 2:15 PM, ebabil said:

wow. I didn't think that we would get a worse pod than lantirn. the good looking device though

Well, the Pave Spike is from the mid 70s, Pave Tack from the early 80s. LANTIRN is from the late 80s.

Though to be honest most pods overmodel the resolution, especially so when using digital zoom. But I imagine the main thing will be the lack of point or area track modes like we're used to and no derotation of the image making sure it's the right way up.

Edited by Northstar98
spelling
  • Like 5

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:47 PM, Northstar98 said:

<snip>

I don't even think they have derotation systems either, so if the pod "head" is upside-down (i.e when looking backwards), the image will be upside-down as well. EDIT: In this footage taken from Pave Tack during Operation El Dorado Canyon, you can see the image rolling as the pod rotates, and appears upside-down when the pod is looking behind.

<snip>

From the footage it looks like the pod uses a 2-axes gimbal with yaw & pitch only, so there is no stabilization in the (camera’s) roll axis - if the plane changes attitude the image will rotate by a few degrees depending on where the pod is pointed relative to the airframe.

Edited by Bozon

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

From the footage it looks like the pod uses a 2-axes gimbal with yaw & pitch only

It uses a 2-axis system, but like most targeting pods, there's a roll axis and a pitch axis and when the pod "head" rotates, so does the pitch axis.

This video covers ATFLIR, but the same principle applies, minus the derotation system (which is covered here - essentially all you'll see from Pave Spike and Pave Tack is the "pod's eye view" shown in the video as it doesn't have derotation device).

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

if the plane changes attitude the image will rotate by a few degrees depending on where the pod is pointed relative to the airframe.

For a certain range of attitude changes, yes (my edit comment is somewhat mistaken), but the main overall cause is the pod "head" being rotating about its boresight axis, primarily from the pod looking left or right of centre.

Edited by Northstar98
clarity
  • Like 1

System:

Random question, as someone thats excited in the F4 for some cold war liberation campaigns, but doesnt know much about the aircraft:

Whats the F-4Es weakness, compared to contemporaries, ignoring F14/15? To elaborate:

Just reading up about the thing sounds like its some fantasy-plane. Its an interceptor that can fly very fast, got good range, great AA and AG loadouts, the slat-variant can even outturn a lot of interceptors of the day. Biggest issue seems to be "its a bit difficult to fly/control", which is alleviated by being a two seater. Thats not even talking about Avionics and weapons, with solid BVR weapons, early LGBs, Mavericks and various computers.

So is the IRL F-4E just completely "overpowered", for a gamey term, to most other aircraft of the day until the F-Tens drop? Or is there some nuance im missing?

Edited by Temetre