Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

7 minutes ago, Julian92 said:

HB letting everyone down worse than Razbam..

Oh come on, it's not that bad yet...  The F-4 has only been announced for just under a year and a half, while the F-15 has been coming for about 10 years from what I've heard.  Yes it's delayed, but it's not like we can even preorder it or have even had a proper unveiling with an actual trailer.

• Like 5

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

24 minutes ago, Julian92 said:

Na, they simply have their own method of going about showing off the module. I imagine there's quite a bit they could show off right now but that would decrease the overall excitement for it later on. The F-15 release has pretty much lost hype over the course of time since it's getting shown off so often. It's like comparing a horse to a unicorn with the F-15 and F-4. 

• Like 7

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Stackup:

The original plan was 2022.  We're definitely still months out.

Oh yeh theres been a number of original plans, just stuff like "all big systems are completed" (or was it under completion?) made it sound like it was further.

Tbf as said, Im generally happy if Devs arent afraid of giving imperfect but honest estimates.  

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Stackup:

Oh come on, it's not that bad yet...  The F-4 has only been announced for just under a year and a half, while the F-15 has been coming for about 10 years from what I've heard.  Yes it's delayed, but it's not like we can even preorder it or have even had a proper unveiling with an actual trailer.

Yeah, if anything Im actually surprised how short the span from F-4 announcement to release will likely be. Especially if Heatblur releases a mostly feature-complete version of the plane, like they apparently did with the F-14.

I love my F-18 and F-16, so no hate on ED, but the Hornets blurry A2G radar and F-16s lack of PFL/store g-damage does feel like big systems are still incomplete or missing. Those features will fundamentally change how we use the planes in some missions.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Julian92:

IMO the best way to not get disappointed with that is to adjust your own expectations and see things from a more grounded perspective. Factually, HB hasnt really made a promise that the aircraft will release early and not be delayed. And realistically, theyre probably taking their time to release a mostly finished product to us, like with the F-14, which I personally prefer a lot to the really unfinished plane release we had in the past. 

And its not like with the F-15E and Corsair, where the lack of information is probably a lot more frustrating. Where it seems RAZBAM didnt do much at all with the F-15E for 5 years but just didnt tell people. Thats the point where the lack of information becomes problematic imo.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Omega417 said:

Which dev do you guys think currently holds the speed and altitude record in our Phantom?

Doubt it'd be a dev but more likely a tester/SME.

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito

13 minutes ago, Gianky said:

What report is that, @Mikep821? I think I missed it.

This is the newest report as far as I know.  It says most of the major systems are complete or completion is imminent.

51 minutes ago, Mikep821 said:

So Phantom is around the corner...

Around the corner in DCS speak could still be a month or more.  Probably more at this point, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Thanks 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

On 5/3/2023 at 11:02 PM, Julian92 said:

They haven't asked for money yet.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 hour ago, Stackup said:

This is the newest report as far as I know.  It says most of the major systems are complete or completion is imminent.

Exactly.

And yes, could be months, thats kinda around, nah ? 

More drama than a Jane Austin movie! ... It'll get here when it's ready, tested tested and tested some more. 

Use this and waiting for other DCS modules, to learn about patience, seemingly a lost art these days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, ThorBrasil said:

Will we only see the F-4 at the end of the year?

Which one?

On 5/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, AzraelKurita said:

Just thinking.....

Maybe the Phantom is planned to be the first Module fully using the multi Threading Tec.

If this is right it NEEDS the Tec to be running smoothly in the Main Programm....

Maybe Heatblur is ready to release the Phantom but got to wait for ED to implement MTT into DCS?

PS.: Sorry for my bad English 🙂

Keep guessing. All my modules work in MT, well, the ones I currently use anyway, so not sure what this first fully MT'ing thing is about other than a wild guess. No offense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Am 7.5.2023 um 18:28 schrieb pii:

Keep guessing. All my modules work in MT, well, the ones I currently use anyway, so not sure what this first fully MT'ing thing is about other than a wild guess. No offense.

If I had to make a wild guess myself, then its the ability of plane systems to use MT-features. Lke, eg if the radar simulation is very complex, it might be seperated into threads that can run on seperate cores. Potentially the same with aerodynamics, being able to seperate it into more threads; that might require a lot of finetuning, because splitting up physics into more threads can be very difficult. Integrated systems that rely on each other, might need some modification to be able to seperate into different threads, too. Maybe something with MT-optimized rendering as well, not sure about that tho.

Those things probably shouldnt limit ST functionality, just improve the modules ability to use MT features. Especially considering itll be the future standard, with ST being depreciated.

Either way thats just my speculation what it could mean, though. DCS ST already offers some degree of multi-threading obviously, and multithreading seems to be a very difficult and complicated topic for games. The multi-threaded rendering stuff might also change yet again when Vulkan comes.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mig Fulcrum said:

Does anyone know the year of DMAS upgrade? I searched on the interned but had little luck.

Thanks

As far as I recall it was 1979 or so, but there have been a few additional updates to DMAS birds up to 1986 afaik. Basically it is safe to count it as an 80s bird.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

2 hours ago, Temetre said:

If I had to make a wild guess myself, then its the ability of plane systems to use MT-features. Lke, eg if the radar simulation is very complex, it might be seperated into threads that can run on seperate cores. Potentially the same with aerodynamics, being able to seperate it into more threads; that might require a lot of finetuning, because splitting up physics into more threads can be very difficult. Integrated systems that rely on each other, might need some modification to be able to seperate into different threads, too. Maybe something with MT-optimized rendering as well, not sure about that tho.

Those things probably shouldnt limit ST functionality, just improve the modules ability to use MT features. Especially considering itll be the future standard, with ST being depreciated.

Either way thats just my speculation what it could mean, though. DCS ST already offers some degree of multi-threading obviously, and multithreading seems to be a very difficult and complicated topic for games. The multi-threaded rendering stuff might also change yet again when Vulkan comes.

Thanks for all the wild guesses. 

• Like 1

I hope to be wrong but I expect the F-4E to come in Q2 next year (2024).

Because there are many modules announced and only 6 months left from this year 2023.

Edited by Venom

56 minutes ago, Venom said:

Because there are many modules announced and only 6 months left from this year 2023.

Well we have only a few aircraft modules that are most likely ready for this year, and the F-4 was definitely one of them. They can release maps with aircraft if need be since they aren't exactly competition for each other, we saw that once before if I recall, so there's still a chance we see the F-4 at the very end of 2023 or maybe early 24 if it gets delayed any.

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb RevampedGrunt:

Well we have only a few aircraft modules that are most likely ready for this year, and the F-4 was definitely one of them. They can release maps with aircraft if need be since they aren't exactly competition for each other, we saw that once before if I recall, so there's still a chance we see the F-4 at the very end of 2023 or maybe early 24 if it gets delayed any.

I guess you could be right......

But I really hope HB will come up with a huge Surprise and is much more ready to release......

Well....guess the Hope dies last 😉

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Venom said:

HB has said other moduals are of no concern when it comes to when they'll release the F4

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.