A Carrier for the Naval Phantom ?

toni

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Weren't we getting a Midway with the Corsair, or was that a different carrier? 

We're getting an Essex with the F4U Corsair, but it'll be a WWII fit (not a Vietnam era version with an angled deck, steam catapults and JBDs).

So this:

USS_Yorktown_(CV-10)_underway,_circa_in_

Instead of this:

h97488k.jpg

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

I meam, isn't at the very least Saratoga on the roadmap, since it's mostly a reskin of Forrestal with some minor changes?

All of them are planned, but HB have said not to expect them soon (especially Ranger and Independence).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

13 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

I mean, isn't at the very least Saratoga on the roadmap, since it's mostly a reskin of Forrestal with some minor changes?

Apparently the harder you look at them the more you realize they were more different than a 59 and 60 painted on the side. I can't remember if the differences are along the flight deck edges or on the island or what but if you're going for accuracy it is a decent bit more work. Then Ranger and Indy I think had slightly different deck and island again from the first 2.

Kitty Hawk, Connie, and America are the same way, subtle differences in the islands and deck shape and the areas at the edges. Radar differences I picked up on as well.

And then standing off to the side of that was Big John, whose layout is more like the Nimitz but a smidge shorter I think than the rest of her class. So weirdly the undersized existing Stennis is actually not awfully far off. But she did have the deck arrangement that the Nimitz class adopted.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

3 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Yeah I have done some comparative research on 59 and 60 and they seem very similar as far as the islands and antennas go. Same goes for deck geometry and size. So it wouldn't be far off to just change the bort numbers and adjust some clutter around the edges. Don't see how that would be a stratch in any way.

I mean folks said it would be similar to make removable tank pylons on the F-14 but the actual modeling side was not that simple. There appears to be more to it or someone would have just hopped into Substance, slapped a 60 on it, written Sara on the stern and sent it out.

Edited by LanceCriminal86

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

3 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Obviously it requires work and man-hours but it's not a complete re-model. All of this stuff is on the Trello roadmap btw.

I'm well aware of the Trello, I've had some discussions on the topic already elsewhere. Sara isn't some insurmountable task he just wants to make sure it's up to the standards they expect. That said it would only be appropriate to have some VF-74 and VF-103 skins to go with her on launch, which will take us a little bit extra to get done, but right now after the F-4 hypetrain the Tomcat's model and textures are supposed to be getting some focus on fixes and prep for the early variants.

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

Weren't we getting a Midway with the Corsair, or was that a different carrier? 

I suspect as naval planes start proliferating EA may look into doing more general carrier packs. Trying to run an F-14 out of a modernized Midway could be quite a bit of fun, but not sure it would be required for the F-4 pack, especially since we'll have the Forestall. 

We are getting a wwii Essex class carrier. The Midway didn't launch until March 1945. The only thing which a world war II or would be good for in the Vietnam era would be an lph amphibious assault ship.

15 minutes ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

VF74 and 103 are already on the B so it's a matter of adding more modex variations. 

But not the A, and the A+ skins need some reworks as well as the HGU-55. Which again will probably come after the external model is corrected, and the early jet models are worked out, and the new pilot bodies are implemented.

• Like 1

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I’d prefer to see the Forrestal upgraded to super carrier module status. I’m not so picky that a simple reskinning would be a problem for me versus taking the time the remodel the differences between ships in the class. But if we we’re going to get new carriers  CVN-65 would be cool to have an early Cold War nuclear carrier.  Another good option would be one of the British carriers that operated them. 

• Like 1

I reckon this won't be too popular with the blackshoe-afficianados, but I'm looking at DCS as a flight sim and I couldn't care less about some antennas on a boat. Just paint on a different number and play pretend as long as we're in the same class of boats.

I'd much rather have the time spent on details on the F-14As still up the pipe, than have development-hours wasted on some detail I'm completely ignorant about and that I'd only see for 30 seconds during a mission if I knew and cared.

Also, if there are more boats to come some time in the future, I'd be more into smaller deck carriers (d/t the challenge) and I couldn't care less about another carrier that needs multiple zip-codes.

• Like 7

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

1 minute ago, Jester986 said:

I don’t know what black shoes means but yea that was kind of my point too. If I can’t look it and easily tell it’s different from the Forrestal or the Super carrier group what’s the point of doing it?

In the USN, black shoes are ship drivers/personnel, brown shoes are naval aviators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

8 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Photon torpedoes, maximum yield full spread.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

• Like 2

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I believe it's an Essex class we are getting for the Corsair...

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

In the USN, black shoes are ship drivers/personnel, brown shoes are naval aviators.

Close, Chiefs wear brown shoes if they are aviation rates, they also wear Aviation Greens too.  There are Fireman, Seaman and Airman rates.  We all wear black shoes till you make Chief in the aviation community.  Fireman, Seaman rates (BM, MM, HM, PN, EM etc) always wear black shoes (E6 and below) no matter the rank, unless you are wearing whites then you wear white shoes (E7 and up)

Sempre Fortis

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I reckon this won't be too popular with the blackshoe-afficianados, but I'm looking at DCS as a flight sim and I couldn't care less about some antennas on a boat. Just paint on a different number and play pretend as long as we're in the same class of boats.

I'd much rather have the time spent on details on the F-14As still up the pipe, than have development-hours wasted on some detail I'm completely ignorant about and that I'd only see for 30 seconds during a mission if I knew and cared.

Also, if there are more boats to come some time in the future, I'd be more into smaller deck carriers (d/t the challenge) and I couldn't care less about another carrier that needs multiple zip-codes.

Love to see a CVE/CVL done for WWII scearios.  Lets start with the USS San Jacinto.

Sempre Fortis

3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

This, this...and more this.

• Like 3

A Forrestal without bridle system
They can animate that on the plane side. Still uses a shuttle. Just have it work the same, but instead of a launch bar, show a bridle. Shouldn't be a big thing. To model an entire carrier for something that insignificant is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

They can animate that on the plane side. Still uses a shuttle. Just have it work the same, but instead of a launch bar, show a bridle. Shouldn't be a big thing. To model an entire carrier for something that insignificant is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Insignificant and ridiculous to some. But othets like see realistic carrier operations.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

But othets like see realistic carrier operations.

Without interactive deck crew? The arbritrary selectiveness to which a desire for realism is applied is what I find baffling. On account of lacking interactive deck crew, a simple bridle model/animation that interacts with the present shuttle is good enough. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

Without interactive deck crew? The arbritrary selectiveness to which a desire for realism is applied is what I find baffling. On account of lacking interactive deck crew, a simple bridle model/animation that interacts with the present shuttle is good enough. 

Fair point.