Choose the new name for WSO AI. It can't be Jester anymore

phant

47 minutes ago, IronMike said:

The thing is that JESTER (hence we usually write it in caps), is really the name of an AI, which ofc gets personalized into a character, and rightfully so. But the re-usable, created sub-product in fact is the "JESTER-AI". Maybe we will give "him" a different name in the F-4, or A-6 respectively, when time comes, but that hasn't been decided upon yet.

In that sense: keep suggesting, we may stumble across something we like and use it, even if the AI will always remain the "JESTER-AI".

When we get the naval variant, can we get Ens. Jester as the character in the official campaign :-). I figured he flew f4s before tomcats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoorMouse said:

When we get the naval variant, can we get Ens. Jester as the character in the official campaign :-). I figured he flew f4s before tomcats.

That is a great idea. I figured similar, and his real world, I mean real cinema counterpart, likely did so, too. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

keep suggesting, we may stumble across something we like and use it

Presumably you guys would prefer a simple name, and not something like "DeBellevue", so maybe "Chuck"? As that was DeBellevue's nickname. He was the highest scoring ace in Vietnam. You probably knew that, though. Or maybe "Driscoll"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RG2021 said:

Presumably you guys would prefer a simple name, and not something like "DeBellevue", so maybe "Chuck"? As that was DeBellevue's nickname. He was the highest scoring ace in Vietnam. You probably knew that, though. Or maybe "Driscoll"!

How about Phester? Jester's older brother. 😄

• Like 5

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Phester you say? Fits like a glove in the spooky Phantom II.

(don't judge, I suck with the GIMP)

image.png

• Like 11
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

8 hours ago, Krez said:

Chuck - USAF variant. Charles "Chuck" DeBellevue - 6 kills
Duke - USN variant . Randall "Duke" Cunningham - 5 kills

Wouldn't the back seater for the RIo be Irish. 

26 minutes ago, RG2021 said:

Driscol was Irish Willie 

26 minutes ago, IronMike said:

How about Phester? Jester's older brother. 😄

Funny

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

It will most likely remain Jester, as is, tailored to the F4. The effort it would take to re-do everything would blow all scopes and is unrealistic. The JESTER-AI has been created with versatility in mind, and fits in principle more than just the Tomcat. Re-recording everything would delay the module easily by a minimum of 2 more years.

I'm for ya'll keeping this part the same (at least for now) I'd rather have my phantom sooner than later. I'm not saying I would object if ya'll renamed the WSO 

2 часа назад, BonerCat сказал:

I don't think jester ever refers to himself in 3rd person, not afaik.

Jester and Iceman are only referred to in writing, be it documentation or in-game interface. They might be called by name in voiced-over campaigns and missions, but apart from that AFAIK there's not a single line of voice-over in the Tomcat module that needs to be changed to rename them, only some text lines.

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

…Re-recording everything would delay the module easily by a minimum of 2 more years.

I think that I can safely speak for the community by saying that we are willing to wait a couple years to get Fester (saving $5 here). 

Please take your time on the F4 release until everything is completely finished, including all variants and weapons, all without any bugs, no matter how big or small…

• Like 1

Viewpoints are my own.

Just now, RG2021 said:

I know, but Driscoll is a pretty cool name. "Irish Willie" would not be a good name. 😂

I think Jester and iceman would be fine for the Navy. It would be possible for them to fly both the F-4 and F-14 during their yers of service. I

If any version have a name change it should be the USAF and UK versions. Some reason I'm thinking Jeffery Feinstein had the call sign fang

13 hours ago, phant said:

Sully?

Bye
Phant

Sully would be good for the pilot

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Plus one on the strength of that 'tache alone..........Although "Robin" or "Olds" dont really have that ring to them, his callsign was "Wolf" I believe, which is waaaay cool.....

BTW, did you know, which I really like, as its very un PC ( Of the era of course..!!) ,  when he teamed up with Daniel "Chappie" James they were known as "Blackman & Robin"  😆 https://www.skillsetmag.com/robin-olds-mustache-during-vietnam/     Heatblur could model us the approriate coloured crew figures!!! Blackman & Robin would look great on the side of the jet!!! 

Another good pilot name however for the WSO I vote we name him after Jefery "Fang" Feinstein  

show-photo.jpg?id=2351940&cache=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Feinstein

states that was his call sign wolf and fang would be awesome 

3 hours ago, Victory205 said:

I think that I can safely speak for the community by saying that we are willing to wait a couple years to get Fester (saving $5 here). 

Please take your time on the F4 release until everything is completely finished, including all variants and weapons, all without any bugs, no matter how big or small…

Half the community really. The other half wants it released right now even if the cockpit is un-textured, the radar doesn't work, the landing gear is not animated, and the FM is buggy enough to include parts of the Cessna 172 and SR-71 flight envelopes.

Back on topic - I don't see how Viper isn't the obvious choice, seeing as the character actually flew Phantoms and it obviously complements Jester. Plus he comes with a bonus epic 'stache.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

Half the community really. The other half wants it released right now even if the cockpit is un-textured, the radar doesn't work, the landing gear is not animated, and the FM is buggy enough to include parts of the Cessna 172 and SR-71 flight envelopes.

Back on topic - I don't see how Viper isn't the obvious choice, seeing as the character actually flew Phantoms and it obviously complements Jester. Plus he comes with a bonus epic 'stache.

It surprised me how long it took that someone would recommend Mike Metcalf, or what no one suggested so far, Duke Mitchell. 🙂 

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 5

Heatblur Simulations

46 minutes ago, IronMike said:

It surprised me how long it took that someone would recommend Mike Metcalf, or what no one suggested so far, Duke Mitchell. 🙂 

Well we're not all Phantom phreaks. Some of us are just hanging out in hopes you'll mention you're making an F-104. :smoke:

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I just think it's wrong to name a backseater after pilots, and to have an AF Phantom WSO with a Navy name.

Find some notable WSO names for the E, and notable RIOs for the Navy.

OR

Just name it VICTORY, and he's just disappointed in you the whole time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

8 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Just name it VICTORY, and he's just disappointed in you the whole time.

Nooooo! Besides, I'm only disappointed in YOU, everyone else is fine. 😉

You do realize that Hummingbird is scouring the dark web, looking for the EM diagrams for the F4E? We may not see him around for months.

Autopilots are typically called "George", put George in the front seat and leave Jester in the back. Someone mentioned "Sully". Think twice about that, Chesley would probably sue for royalties for use of his Name, Image or Likeness.

The USAF variants had flight controls in the back seats IIRC, that might make multi player more interesting. Might be easier to find WSO's for you pilot types.

• Like 3

Viewpoints are my own.

3 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

You do realize that Hummingbird is scouring the dark web, looking for the EM diagrams for the F4E? We may not see him around for months.

Autopilots are typically called "George", put George in the front seat and leave Jester in the back. Someone mentioned "Sully". Think twice about that, Chesley would probably sue for royalties for use of his Name, Image or Likeness.

The USAF variants had flight controls in the back seats IIRC, that might make multi player more interesting. Might be easier to find WSO's for you pilot types.

I'm going to name him whatever I want, as long as I can keep him and take care of him and walk him daily!

No need for scouring any dark web for those, there everywhere and can be found from the first couple of results in a quick Google search! 🙂https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.f4phantom.com/docs/F4Manual-1979-T-O-1F-4E-1-Flight-Manual-USAF-Series-F-4E-Aircraft.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwixnOn7lND1AhUqLTQIHZHpACoQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw39Iz98V8djiBNaKJ4bq6Nq

No need to stir the rivalry here. Let's keep it civil and unite for our love of the Phantom rather than starting any beef over some old squabble shall we?

41 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

Fine, we'll just call him "Hey A**hole"

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]