But what Is with the Tornado?

doldi1989web.de

As discussed many times in the past, ED have stated that the Tornado is still considered "secret" and as such are unable to model it to the level of authenticity that they'd normally shoot for.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

3 hours ago, doldi1989web.de said:

Not á very serious topic but… where is the Tonka? *sircryalot* 😁

Indeed, that's the only downside of the Phantom announcement. The Tornado is literally the only aircraft in the world that I want to see in DCS more than I want to see the Phantom.

21 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

As discussed many times in the past, ED have stated that the Tornado is still considered "secret" and as such are unable to model it to the level of authenticity that they'd normally shoot for.

I don't recall ED stating this anywhere and even if so, it doesn't mean anything as it just needs a dev team that gathers enough docs/information and/or a contract with Panavia, whch can happen anytime. You can't tell me, that the Tornado is more secret than the Eurofighter, which is already in development for DCS (maybe except the nuclear side of things, which doesn't matter for DCS anyways).

• Like 9

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think I want a tornado gr1/4 in dcs more than I want oxygen itself. Heatblur would do an amazing job at it just a shame it probably won't happen for another few years because of this. Not that the phantom is a bad thing. It's an amazing thing for the community as its HIGHLY requested and it will bring new people to the sim. Would have just preferred a tonka. If anyone from HB is reading this thanks for the F4 will be a day one purchase. Please PLEASE do a tornado Gr1/4 next

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Not really true. I think the main issue was licensing agreements with Panavia. There's certainly nothing inherently secret about certain versions of the IDS Tornado. An early Gr.1 would be easily doable with the available documentation and the abundance of SME's out there. 

A Tornado is the last remaining big wishlist aircraft missing in DCS once the F-15E, Apache and F4 are all out. Would love to see it one day.

• Like 9

My list of instant purchases would definitely extend to this one too. Remember talking to an RAF pilot at Fairford who lost an engine over Iraq in 2003. RTB-ed on full rudder. Amazing aircraft.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Guys, give it a rest. We've just had a new family of aircraft announced from a developer that already has two more complex aircraft in the pipeline, and you're already asking for more. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Last time I heard there was some fighting for the Tornado license behind the scenes. Not sure what the current status is, or what the drama was really about, but it's unlikely we'll get it anytime soon.

Myself, I'm happy with the Phantom. Tornado is a cool bird, but there's only one song about it. 🙂 Phantom, OTOH, is much more famous.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Mr_sukebe:

Is there anywhere a source for this information? I've heard a couple of times about it but never red something like this from ED itself. IIRC Matt Wagner once said in an interview that he loved Digital Intergarions Tornado from 1993 and he would like to see one in DCS but there are currently no plans at ED to make one. Nick Grey said something similar but he said as well that there is no reason for a 3rd Party not to make one. Maybe i'm wrong or missunderstood something but that's what i remember.

Edited by Gizmo03

1 hour ago, some1 said:

Guys, give it a rest. We've just had a new family of aircraft announced from a developer that already has two more complex aircraft in the pipeline, and you're already asking for more. 

Happens every time, doesn't it?

• Like 7

Viewpoints are my own.

1 hour ago, Gizmo03 said:

Is there anywhere a source for this information? I've heard a couple of times about it but never red something like this from ED itself. IIRC Matt Wagner once said in an interview that he loved Digital Intergarions Tornado from 1993 and he would like to see one in DCS but there are currently no plans at ED to make one. Nick Grey said something similar but he said as well that there is no reason for a 3rd Party not to make one. Maybe i'm wrong or missunderstood something but that's what i remember.

Well, there were multiple DCS 3rd party devs (RAZBAM and Polychop at least) who claimed that they are working on a Tornado or at least planning to do one. RAZBAM even showed screenshots of an early mesh model of a Tornado. Polychop on the other hand said, that they were negotiating with Panavia.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

20 hours ago, some1 said:

What better way for HB to gauge what to develop.......?

They already know what to develop without your help: Eurofighter, A-6, F-4E, naval F-4, J35 AI (if it hasn't been scrapped), finish the AJS37 and F-14. They have their work set out for the next four years or more. 

There are other places on the forums where you can ask for your favourite airplane that is not F-4. One such place is even called "DCS wishlist". 

• Like 5

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

20 hours ago, some1 said:

Thank you. Also, this does not belong under DCS: F-4 Phantom. There's already multiple threads about the Tornado.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 2:34 AM, AvroLanc said:

A Tornado is the last remaining big wishlist aircraft missing in DCS once the F-15E, Apache and F4 are all out. 

Yikes - don’t let the AH-1 hear you say that.

18 hours ago, some1 said:

They already know what to develop without your help: Eurofighter, A-6, F-4E, naval F-4, J35 AI (if it hasn't been scrapped), finish the AJS37 and F-14. They have their work set out for the next four years or more. 

There are other places on the forums where you can ask for your favourite airplane that is not F-4. One such place is even called "DCS wishlist". 

Amen

I like threads like this one. Even if they repeat things for the 100th time, they show the devs the Tornado is eagerly awaited. Like all the other iconic modules before.

I'm very sure that the Tornado will come to DCS as soon as it is doable. We only have to keep requesting it, like we do.

• Like 5

On 1/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, some1 said:

Yes with that lineup I can’t see the Tornado coming from HB which is a shame for me as they have showed what they can do with an interdiction Aircraft. I do feel it would be a great addition to dcs but what made the old DI sim so great was the ME and the ability to command multiple flights arranging times on target and also the way the dynamic campaign worked, hitting water supplies would effect the enemy’s morale etc. It was groundbreaking for its time, and as of yet we still have nothing like it in dcs. My wish is for a similar style dynamic campaign and a tornado module one day.  

Edited by westr
  • Like 3

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 1/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, some1 said:

They already know what to develop without your help

But they don't know how to manage their forum, and do require your help to know what the approved topics are...?

You're right, this is an odd place for it, but here it is. Mods can move it if they feel so inclined, or it can just quietly die as we all (rightly) get swept up in the F4-hype. Or, you can get it repeatedly bumped as people stop by to lend some support to the thread as, unlike some, they reckon it's better to try to make a positive contribution rather than just shout others' down for no reason.

+1 Tonka

• Like 4

Nah, I've only just met 'er...:pilotfly:

On 1/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, Tom Kazansky said:

I like threads like this one. Even if they repeat things for the 100th time, they show the devs the Tornado is eagerly awaited. Like all the other iconic modules before...

Like you, I get such a kick out of these naive content nagging threads that permeate all gamer interaction sites. 

One thing I’ve never seen, is an effort to raise the cash to pay a developer team to make something happen. Come up with a couple hundred thousand Euros for starters, you’ll get your Tornado.

Show me the money.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

44 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

One thing I’ve never seen, is an effort to raise the cash to pay a developer team to make something happen. Come up with a couple hundred thousand Euros for starters, you’ll get your Tornado. Show me the money.

I have seen that ... here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts

They raised almost 160,000 dollars ... but it wasnt enough, the project failed ... fortunately, one of the team members was founder of ED and salvaged this as a private project. ED much later said on an interview that the development cost of the Bf-109 alone was US$ 100,000 ... no wonder the Kickstarter failed.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I respect that instead of sitting around, annoyingly demanding that others make something appear, they made a pragmatic attempt. It also illustrates the challenges and costs involved.

Obviously this isn't confined to sims, it's rampant across social media on every level on seemingly every topic. The commentariat raging without a clue as to the time and costs involved.

Viewpoints are my own.

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I have seen that ... here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts

They raised almost 160,000 dollars ... but it wasnt enough, the project failed ... fortunately, one of the team members was founder of ED and salvaged this as a private project. ED much later said on an interview that the development cost of the Bf-109 alone was US$ 100,000 ... no wonder the Kickstarter failed.

I did back that project. 40$ for two modules, Normandy map and asset pack was a good deal. Probably too good. I think Shevchenko massively underestimated the difficulties of developing for DCS vs Il2. The campaign would have more success nowadays, probably. Back then, DCS had numerous issues MP-wise, which didn't really help.

Now that the F-4 is coming, the Tornado is probably the only remaining aircraft in my DCS-bucket-list. I'd bring some needed variety and fresh air.
I am not sure why we are discussing it here though (although the mods can move or merge it, if they think it's not useful) 🙂

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

42 minutes ago, Karon said:

I'd bring some needed variety and fresh air.

I agree ... I'm so tired of US aircrafts with 3 computer screens and fool-proof weapons .. I'd love to have more european aircrafts, and the Tornado is also on my wish lists ... in the meantime, Aerges Mirage F1 will be a more than fine non-US aircraft, I will purchase it day one even if it is not offered with an EA discount, as I did also with the Tomcat 👍

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB