Rudder has left the chat

Jetliner

Anyone have their rudder snap off mid dive?  I was doing maybe 400mph, perfectly coordinated diving down on a few 109s and the rudder just peaced out.  I have it on video in case nobody believes me haha

Sucked to fly such a long way and have some shoddy manufacturing screw me but hey I'm sure WWII pilots had to turn back for sillier... less deadly things.

Let me know if I did something wrong - I do recall early P47s in real life having structural issues with the tail in a dive maybe this was a simulation of that?  I just figured it wouldnt happen unless I was truly overspeeding or had the rudder way out there at speed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

The cowl flaps were closed, would that effect the rudder though?

per manual it creates an excessive amount of turbulence along the airframe, and can cause the rudder/elevators to start flapping and potentially leading to their loss. Look at the stick during such dives, it's shaking like crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, grafspee said:

Close cowl flaps. You should have them closed above 225 mph.

I never ckecked those. Could that be the reason why the jug sometimes starts shaking in flight? Will check cowl flaps next time I fly the jug!
I always assumed that they were automated like in the Dora.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

^ All cooling-related flaps/doors/gills/whatever one calls them on Thunderbolt are full manual unfortunately. Yes, leaving the cowling ones open causes increasing flutter and rudder loss at higher speeds.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Very important thing to mention is that cowl flaps in closed position are not exactly closed 🙂 Fortunately cowl flaps operation is pretty much straight forward, you keep them open only on the ground and in long climbs every other situation you have them closed for example combat, landing, cruising, diving.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Which instrument would indicate the need to open them? Oil temperature?

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

32 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

Which instrument would indicate the need to open them? Oil temperature?

Cylinder head temperature.

If i recall correctly 260C for auto rich mixture and 230C for Auto lean mixture

wUMpYS1.png

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

While this is all really interesting info to have now, the cowl flaps werent open when this happened. 😞

Wonder if it was just a bug, or maybe they were SLIGHTLY open and the game just registered it as such?  Ill post the video later this evening.

• Like 1

It is important to close them completely, at very high speeds even a bit opening will make rudder to flutter. This is only thing which i can think off what would make your rudder departure.

It could be a battle damage as well.

If you can recreate this you should post track when this happening 🙂

• Like 1

It is hard to say, i doubt that any of this tests were performed to determine at what speed exactly rudder comes off. But as a game DCS have to punish somehow for not fallowing plane's operation procedures, it cant provide unbearable stick vibrations so it has to do some other way then. 

The best example that stick vibrations or airframe vibrations are not enough is that some players don't even notice that and kept flying for months with this and everything is ok until they get to high speed.

The biggest issue for me with P-47 is bloody engine over speed, i can't get P-47 to 500mph indicated in divie because my engine dies while i do that.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, razo+r said:

The extended taxi light also induces oscillations, but I dont know of these are strong enough to rip off the rudder. 

It depends on speed you flying, at higher speed frequency of this vibrations may get so high that rudder can fall apart.

In real plane pilot would not be able to hold stick/rudder pedals with that kind of vibrations on it, he would slow down or even consider to RTB, in DCS even cockpit shake won't enough. 

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1