DMAS Version autonomous self lasing - Pave Spike / Pave Tack

AvroLanc

On 4/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, HEXO said:

the TISEO was Retrofitted to Block 48 and above, which is the same block as DMAS. so it was on the DMAS version only [:

The Rivet Haste birds that saw combat in Vietnam between Nov 1972 and Jan 73 (the "new" 555th TFS) had TISEO before DMAS was a thing.

There were a few Israeli Phantoms during the Yom Kippur War on Oct 73 that also had TISEO, most if not all of them were Nickel Grass jets. None of these had DMAS.

Edited by SgtPappy

18 hours ago, Chipwich said:

It's been a while since my dad passed, but from memory of the discussions we had about his flying F-4Es out of Ubon in '72-'73 (335th and 336th TFS), the Knife pod was buddy lased and the Spike was WSO lased.  They used both Knife and Spike to great effect.  I see photos of airplanes with and without slats.  None with TISEO though.  I'll keep looking.

I was researching on that the other day, trying to get ideas for some VN era skins for the Es that we will have as far as slats but not TISEO jets. It had seemed that some of the Es rushed out to VN around that time supposedly had both slats and TISEO under RIVET HASTE in '72 or '73? or something like that, and then older jets had slats retrofitted from there through the end of the war. If you've got anything showing the slatted, non-TISEO Es in VN I'd really appreciate it.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, Northstar98 said:

They're both 1st. gen systems, in comparison LANTIRN is 2nd. gen and LITENING (at least our variants) & ATFLIR are 3rd.

According to the -34-1-1-2, Pave Tack has 2 FOVs and a digital zoom. According to the -34-1-1 Pave Spike has 2 FOVs but no digital zoom. Unfortunately I can't find the numbers for what the FOVs should be, nor can I find what the resolution should be.

But the main advantage Pave Tack brings is that it's FLIR rather than TV, it also has that memory mode, as well as several more acquire modes.

As said previously, Pave Spike is only on selected blocks

As for its bulk? Here's a cutaway I found:

000-AVQ-26-Cutaway.jpg

one of the major advantages in my mind of the Pave Tack is its complete lower hemisphere coverage so you shouldn't ever run into target masking issues when flying straight and level

On 8/10/2022 at 6:14 PM, LanceCriminal86 said:

I was researching on that the other day, trying to get ideas for some VN era skins for the Es that we will have as far as slats but not TISEO jets. It had seemed that some of the Es rushed out to VN around that time supposedly had both slats and TISEO under RIVET HASTE in '72 or '73? or something like that, and then older jets had slats retrofitted from there through the end of the war. If you've got anything showing the slatted, non-TISEO Es in VN I'd really appreciate it.

I can offer you a non-slatted pre-Midas IV TISEO bird. Didn't even know they existed until a couple of weeks ago, since I was under the presumption TISEO was a post-slat thing.

eff6fd1d9252de18b452e9c2bf57085c4975d5ae.jpeg

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

8 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I can offer you a non-slatted pre-Midas IV TISEO bird. Didn't even know they existed until a couple of weeks ago, since I was under the presumption TISEO was a post-slat thing.

eff6fd1d9252de18b452e9c2bf57085c4975d5ae.jpeg

I ran across a comment somewhere that TISEO may have been retrofitted on a limited number of airframes around Rivet Haste, and looking at the serial of that jet, it would have to be. It's either 66-0317, 67-0317, or 68-0317. There were no higher XX-0317s produced so it's not like it was a 71- Rivet Haste new-production rushed to SEA jet.

It's probably 68-0317, which was shown as assigned to 421 TFS in 1972, who had the LC tailcode. Looks like it's the one, has Hey Jude nose art:

0302-10-2-3.jpg

There really isn't any concrete info out there on this jet having the TISEO added, because later photos it's not there. It very well looks like either TISEO kits were rushed out there to the 421 TFS, or a few jets were modified and sent out there (can see one in the background there) separate from the Rivet Haste jets that were 71- and had slats, and sent to the 555th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]