Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

Throwing twice the amount of programmers at a task, doesn't half the time needed, but doubles it. 😄
Speaking from experience.

Sometimes we have customers that are willing to pay double to shorten the developement time, but the answer is always the same: "It doesn't scale like that...." 😆

its just my opinion and i also speak from experience. not intending to hurt anyone's feelings. the point i am making is like another post noted; the performance is already a major complaint from many people. adding more overhead is going to only exacerbate an already frustrated user base. there are all sorts of other issues that could be looked at.

and i understand because i have been a system admin since 1989. at that time the system admin did everything including giving advice to people programing their betamax recorders and figuring out why the fax machine does not work. having more people does not half anything. it puts more people on a problem which may help find the solution. these underlying issues being correct would make many more people happy than weather.

ever carry a telephone pole as a team? having three people can go 5 miles an hour. having 9 people does not make it go 15 miles an hour. it only makes it easier to carry.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

That depends on what exactly needs to be done. Having more eyes looking at the problem is helpful when the solution is unknown. If the solution is known, and the work involved boils down to physically writing down, testing, and correcting (possibly through several cycles) a few thousand lines of code, then adding manpower will not help most of the time. Programming changed a lot since the 90s, there's much more specialization, and there's much less breaking new ground and much more finding solutions someone already devised, then applying them to your own problem. I'm pretty sure that ED is not stuck on anything that requires huge creativity to overcome, but rather on common drudgery involved in actually coding the improvements.

As far as carrying a pole goes, adding more people only helps until you run out of pole. Then, the more people you have, the harder it gets, what with all the tripping over one another's feet (and even if they know how to properly march in lockstep, you can only cram in so many of them). 🙂 Just like with devs, there's an optimum number of carriers, and any people over that are better off tagging along behind it than trying to help.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

As far as carrying a pole goes, adding more people only helps until you run out of pole. Then, the more people you have, the harder it gets, what with all the tripping over one another's feet (and even if they know how to properly march in lockstep, you can only cram in so many of them). 🙂 Just like with devs, there's an optimum number of carriers, and any people over that are better off tagging along behind it than trying to help.

agreed. though you can also make the pole longer.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

That depends on what exactly needs to be done. Having more eyes looking at the problem is helpful when the solution is unknown. If the solution is known, and the work involved boils down to physically writing down, testing, and correcting (possibly through several cycles) a few thousand lines of code, then adding manpower will not help most of the time. Programming changed a lot since the 90s, there's much more specialization, and there's much less breaking new ground and much more finding solutions someone already devised, then applying them to your own problem. I'm pretty sure that ED is not stuck on anything that requires huge creativity to overcome, but rather on common drudgery involved in actually coding the improvements.
As far as carrying a pole goes, adding more people only helps until you run out of pole. Then, the more people you have, the harder it gets, what with all the tripping over one another's feet (and even if they know how to properly march in lockstep, you can only cram in so many of them).  Just like with devs, there's an optimum number of carriers, and any people over that are better off tagging along behind it than trying to help.
Multithread required specialized coding developers, weather can require more 3d modelers, texturers... Plus some coder.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Tomcat388th said:

My fear also I'm on the low end for playing VR with my system.

Wow! and there I though I was on the low end with my system. Respect bro! Hang in there! 👊

(biting my finger nails here, as these days with every new update, I fear that my GPU will go poof 🌬️)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 minutes ago, BRAVO_16 said:

It would be nice if someone from ED could confirm if 2.8 will include the alternate Marianas map?

The details will be in the release notes.  Have patience.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

36 minutes ago, BRAVO_16 said:

It would be nice if someone from ED could confirm if 2.8 will include the alternate Marianas map?

I doubt it. Hasn't been enough publicity around it. No vidoes etc. I'm guessing it's still far of.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• ED Team

Open Beta Public testing build

Current version number: DCS 2.7.18.30765
Next update: Planned 27th October 2022 ( subject to change )

Apologies all, we have found an issue and 2.8 patch has been moved to the 27th of October 2022. 

thank you for your patience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Understandable and if you can let us pre-order MB-339, my £££ is ready

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Can we have the changelog prior? As an appetizer? Please! 😊

We are not ready to share the log at the moment, it may change before tomorrow 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2