Unable to trim aft beyond nose neutral via axis

Cool-Hand

I usually have elevator trim mapped to the Joy_Slider2 axis (gray slider) on the Warthog throttle. It has worked like a charm until DCS 2.7.10.18996 Open beta. I have no trouble trimming nose heavy but cannot get anything beyond neutral now for tail heavy no matter how I map it or adjust the saturation of the curves in game or through TARGET. It works fine with mapping to buttons on the joystick hat but not for an axis to trim tail heavy. I prefer the axis since I know where the trim is just by tactile feel and not having to look at the trim indicators, any chance we could get that restored?

Edit... I tested on the P51 and i use the same axis for elevator trim and it works correctly. The P-47 almost seems like the movement on the elevator trim control isn't allowing the axis the full aft travel, the center is somewhere between nose heavy and neutral and the travel seems limited to the forward half of the trim range.

Edited by Cool-Hand
tested other module to eliminate harware

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This report confirms something I found. I created button commands that set the trim values to desired values. Normally the trim values from -1 to +1 should cover the full trim range from 100% nose-heavy to 100% tail-heavy, with 0 = neutral. Instead, the action value +1 is neutral and -1 is 100% nose-heavy. So there is no way within the range of the slider to set elevator trim tailheavy at all.

The same seems to happen with the two other trim axes. Aileron trim is available from 100% left to neutral , and Rudder trim from 100% right to neutral, both for action values -1 to +1.

Note: when I set action values with a button command instead of a slider I can use action values > 1. I use these commands to preset the trim in air-starting missions where the nose tends to go down at mission start.

Edit: I did some more testing with my button commands and found: The full trim ranges for the 3 axes now require action values from -1 to +3 instead of the normal -1 to +1.

The sliders on our game controllers can only produce signal ranges from -1 to +1. Thus we can only trim one half each of the trim ranges. Specifically, we cannot trim via axis commands...
1. the elevator tail-heavy
2. the ailerons right-wing down
3. the rudder left
To have the full story I want to add: We can still trim through the full ranges with POV hats.

@NineLine: this is clearly a bug. Please report!

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've got one of GVL's R/P/Y trim boxes, so I've got all three on analog axis control. Not only the pitch trim, but the Roll, Yaw are borked in the Jug too, along with the Mossie. In the Mustang and Spit I get 1:1 rotation of the cockpit trim wheels and my trim box. The Jug will default to neutrals but I can only get NH pitch, will not go past neutral to TH. Same with yaw, roll only one direction, left roll, right yaw. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I removed the analog controller from my said profiles... works great on all planes in the "other" sim.

But there is nothing wrong with my controller, the Bomb Arming, de-arming, jettison commands won't work on my controller, for the Jug, but work great in the Mustang, just like the Trim bug. 

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis

@peachmonkey don't expect that ww2 team will fix recent bug, this bug is just placed in queue and bug list is very very long.

It is only my impression but i think that ww2 DCS produce more bugs then they can fix.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

3 minutes ago, grafspee said:

@peachmonkey don't expect that ww2 team will fix recent bug, this bug is just placed in queue and bug list is very very long.

It is only my impression but i think that ww2 DCS produce more bugs then they can fix.

i secretly hope they've fixed it but didn't mention in the patch, however I have to wait another 8 hours to try it out ...  fingers crossed 😄

It's not fixed, and ED probably consider it low priority because you can still trim full range with buttons.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

That's a shame, extremely bugged modules is the reason I usually leave DCS to go back to the other sim. I've always thought having an open beta was for a wider range of testers to look at all the modules, and fix them quicker. Guess that's what I get for thinking. Back to the Mustang!

:wallbash:

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was flying in P-47 after a long time and was wondering about the elevator trim not working as usually. Found this topic hoping I am at the right adress.

I am using a Saitek trim wheel via axis which was working perfectly in P-47 in the past.

But today I noticed that trimming was only possible in the range between nose down to neutral. When moving trim wheel further backwards this little indicator stopped at center/neutral position and was not able to trim nose up. So I checked P-47 settings and noticed the elevator trim appearing twice (in orange letters), I deleted axis binding and retried, but no success. Trim stopped at neutral position.

I compared trim action with Spit, P-51 and Mossie and and it worked fine on this types.

So what is wrong here? Btw key bindings for elevator trim in P-47 are working normal. But I appreciate the accuracy of my trim wheel. It would be too bad if I could not use it in the Jug anymore.

Please ED take a look at this problem. Thank you in advance.

Edited by feuervogel

Same problem here. I use axes for trimming yaw, roll and pitch. In the P-47 suddenly all of them are limited to half range movement. I believe they used to work correctly but now don't so the plane is not really flyable. The same problem does not affect the P-51, Mosquito, Spitfire etc. 

I understand this is a bug that ED has introduced and has not fixed. I have not seen any acknowledgement from ED of the problem (it might exist but I haven't found it). In any case ED should be giving this high priority as they have broken the module for those of who use trim axes. It also cannot be a difficult fix.

ED can we please have a clear acknowledgement of this problem and an indication of when the bug will be fixed so we can return to flying the module.

Thanks

PS It would also be much better if there was a clear list of accepted bugs and their fix status.

3 hours ago, silvergh0st said:

Same problem here. I use axes for trimming yaw, roll and pitch. In the P-47 suddenly all of them are limited to half range movement. I believe they used to work correctly but now don't so the plane is not really flyable. The same problem does not affect the P-51, Mosquito, Spitfire etc. 

I understand this is a bug that ED has introduced and has not fixed. I have not seen any acknowledgement from ED of the problem (it might exist but I haven't found it). In any case ED should be giving this high priority as they have broken the module for those of who use trim axes. It also cannot be a difficult fix.

ED can we please have a clear acknowledgement of this problem and an indication of when the bug will be fixed so we can return to flying the module.

Thanks

PS It would also be much better if there was a clear list of accepted bugs and their fix status.

ED acknowledged it in this thread:

• 1 month later...