Shadows under clouds problem.

crazysundog

Thanks for any help in advance.

My problem is that the shadows under the clouds are striped, like a zebra. These stripes only appear at medium to long range, not close to me, and the shadow of my Ka is fine. This is not a random occurence; if clouds are on, the striped shadows are there.

Whenever I move my head (with TrackIr) the stripes move in the opposite direction, and sometimes flicker. I think this is probably a hardware related problem, so I am looking for help from Nvidia as well, but if any of you know of a solution I would be grateful; I'm getting tired of flying in clear skies ALL the time!!

System specs:

Intel E8500 @ 3.16Ghz

EVGA Nforce 750i FTW edition mobo

EVGA GTX260 core 216 SC edition, no OC'ing (180.60 drivers, using default control panel / 8xAF, 8xAA, VSync off)

4gb Kingston ram @ 1066mhz

Vista Ultimate 64bit

LG 22" LCD monitor

I've used 4 different display drivers, 2 different mobo drivers, tried many options in default panel, all to no avail...:cry:

Edited by crazysundog

Update:

I've solved my own problem; and it is not difficult to fix!!

This is a known issue with a few people, and it usually occurs when you mix new vid cards (nvidia anyway), new drivers, and try to run DX9 games with DX10.

The solution: Force DX9 in DCS: BlackShark.

The method:

1. Right-click on your DCS shortcut.

2. Select 'properties' from the menu.

3. In the 'target' box, rename the shortcut to include "-DX9".

*example* "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" --console

would now look like ---> "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" -DX9 --console

4. Click 'Apply'.

This should run BlackShark in DX9 now, and as an added bonus, I get a couple extra FPS!

Hope this helps any others!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Update:

I've solved my own problem; and it is not difficult to fix!!

This is a known issue with a few people, and it usually occurs when you mix new vid cards (nvidia anyway), new drivers, and try to run DX9 games with DX10.

The solution: Force DX9 in DCS: BlackShark.

The method:

1. Right-click on your DCS shortcut.

2. Select 'properties' from the menu.

3. In the 'target' box, rename the shortcut to include "-DX9".

*example* "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" --console

would now look like ---> "C:\1C\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\bin\stable\Launcher.exe" -DX9 --console

4. Click 'Apply'.

This should run BlackShark in DX9 now, and as an added bonus, I get a couple extra FPS!

Hope this helps any others!!

HI!

Is this procedure the same as a bow?

In---->Config/graphics.cfg

change to this values:

near_clip = 0.1;

middle_clip = 1;

BestRegards:MKC

Hey this works, thanks madhotdog :thumbup:

I am using wombats scripts modified by Prophet.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=593129&postcount=10

So I just edited DSCAff_2Core_sp.cmd from this.....

:init

start bin\stable\Launcher.exe --console

choice /t 30 /D N > nul

goto loop

to...

:init

start bin\stable\Launcher.exe -DX9 --console

choice /t 30 /D N > nul

goto loop

as per your instructions and it's all nice and non shimmering. Something I had noticed before and new it was a problem as such but didn't really bother me. Now I am even bothered less. Thanks :)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

How the heck did you find -dx9 command line switch? Haven't found this documented anywhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

@ Crunch and Baka: BS was built to run in dx9. But that doesn't mean it won't run under dx10. It WILL, but some features are no longer supported and therefore you have compatibility and graphics glitches, random crashes, or perhaps your game doesn't work at all (depending on the specific game title). Just because a game is a dx9 game doesn't mean that it won't run under anything else...

@ Crunch: And if you were running DX8 by default then you wouldn't be able to run this game at all because you wouldn't have dx9 installed...

How the heck did you find -dx9 command line switch? Haven't found this documented anywhere.

You know, I ran into it by mistake while looking for more info on the HDR mod that I use with Black Shark....Well it turns out that some games have the same problem with clouds.... specifically I believe it was GTA3 or GTA 4.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Can anyone else confirm my findings? I tried this on Lockon (yeah I know it uses DX8 but I thought give it a go.) and it seems to have solved the DirectSound issue out (the after burner sound in Multiplayer without using alchemy) and it seems to be running smoother in game.

Basically same setup as with DCS, right click the Lockon icon, click properties, click the shortcut tab, and enter -dx9 to the end so it looks like this: "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9

I would appreciate any feed back on this soon.

Edited by AustinN360

This is good news. I will try this in Lock On and report back.

Do you need console on the end as well ??

So it would become:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9 --console

or is it just:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9

Edited by IvanK

This is good news. I will try this in Lock On and report back.

Do you need console on the end as well ??

So it would become:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9 --console

or is it just:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9

Just "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\LockOn.exe" -dx9

vista won't let me change it

:mad:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

..win 7 and it doesn't work.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

• 3 months later...

DCS:BS 1.0

Win XP 32 SP3 (DX9.0c)

intel e8400

GTX295

The -DX9 option didn't help me. Tried every graphics config (AA/AF/LOD) I could and bad flickering bars still apparent on horizon. :cry:

Editing all the near/middle clip planes in graphics.cfg as suggested in thread - no fix either. :cry:

untitled3.jpg.f113d95a367eb2f630ad899b0d57ca33.jpg

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

DCS:BS 1.0

Win XP 32 SP3 (DX9.0c)

intel e8400

GTX295

The -DX9 option didn't help me. Tried every graphics config (AA/AF/LOD) I could and bad flickering bars still apparent on horizon. :cry:

Editing all the near/middle clip planes in graphics.cfg as suggested in thread - no fix either. :cry:

We all live with that problem - but you can search for a "no cloud no shadow" fix. Clouds without shadows wont produce it.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Thanks - I've found a no haze 'fix'. Not an ideal solution, but something I guess.

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |