VR tracking goes out of sync frequently with Quest 2

bernardv

Hi as described under a A-10-C2 bug thread; at high detail situations (e.g. a hi def plane like A10C2 on a cluttered airport scene like Nellis, also returning to Nellis from a mission) DCS tends to freeze (momentary drop in FPS to 0) for a moment, loading the textures I guess. This causes Quest 2 link tracking to go out of sync with DCS somehow. The result is terrible stuttering when looking around in VR.

To resolve this one needs to pause the game and take off the headset for a second or two. This resets tracking and after that it's OK, well till the next drop in FPS. This workaround, once you figure it out, is not so terrible, but still I would wish for DCS and Quest 2 (via air link) to be able to cooperate better and not go into these stuttering at all. I guess the software could detect this state and resolve (resync tracking) automatically?

This is probably an issue with the oculus software.

I switched to the virtual desktop app in combination with stream vr.  The issue is gone.

Add fholgers performance kit and your fps will go up too.

There are still occasional stutters in a scenario like that, but only for a second.

9 hours ago, dutchili said:

This is probably an issue with the oculus software.

I switched to the virtual desktop app in combination with stream vr.  The issue is gone.

Add fholgers performance kit and your fps will go up too.

There are still occasional stutters in a scenario like that, but only for a second.

I tried the Virtual desktop and when compared to air link I find it to be a cluttered bloated instable mess. It can't even work with DCS without steamVR (which I'm not using), the controls are not mapped properly ... all in all definitely not the direction I want to go. 

fholgers - another factor that IMO just adds complexity and instability to the equation, thanks but no thanks. I'm looking for a tested and robust setup, not some untested combination of exotic software components. If/when something like hfolgers would actually work properly with DCS, it would get included in open beta at least.

After some additional testing it looks like setting the right bitrate for air link seems to do the trick. Setting it too high (200) definitely makes it worse, but at 135 for example I can notice the audio and video quality is not optimal. For me 170 looks like the sweet spot - stable and looks good.