VR free cam mode?

SkipCarey

I was just about to post something similar. I haven't had the time to try it yet myself but I'm wondering if this will allow you to effectively walk around your aircraft, without first having to eject, as lots of people have been requesting?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, freehand said:

ctrl + f11 you can walk about even before this update.

Are you sure this was before the update? If it was I never knew about it. Anyway, it does indeed work. I was sat in the cockpit of my Bf109 and tried LCtrl+F11 and the cockpit changed to a much simplified 3D model and using the mouse I was able to move outside freely. I use a trackball mouse and I discovered the trackball allows you to move around while the scroll wheel allows you to move forwards and backwards - one click of the scroll wheel backwards move you forwards and one click forwards moves you backwards! The more you scroll the faster you move and you move in the direction you're looking. So if you're looking up you will find yourself moving skyward. Look down to get back to ground level. If you want to stay at ground level and 'walk' around your aircraft you have to keep looking horizontally as you move. If you want to stop moving forwards or backwards you have to move the scroll wheel back the same number of clicks you moved it initially. For example, move the scroll wheel one click back to move forwards and move it one click forward to be stationary again, if that makes sense. 

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, AlpineGTA said:

Are you sure this was before the update? If it was I never knew about it. Anyway, it does indeed work. I was sat in the cockpit of my Bf109 and tried LCtrl+F11 and the cockpit changed to a much simplified 3D model and using the mouse I was able to move outside freely. I use a trackball mouse and I discovered the trackball allows you to move around while the scroll wheel allows you to move forwards and backwards - one click of the scroll wheel backwards move you forwards and one click forwards moves you backwards! The more you scroll the faster you move and you move in the direction you're looking. So if you're looking up you will find yourself moving skyward. Look down to get back to ground level. If you want to stay at ground level and 'walk' around your aircraft you have to keep looking horizontally as you move. If you want to stop moving forwards or backwards you have to move the scroll wheel back the same number of clicks you moved it initially. For example, move the scroll wheel one click back to move forwards and move it one click forward to be stationary again, if that makes sense. 

Yes been using ctrl + f11  for many moons not just in VR. I will check to see if it has been improved.

I use f7 which takes me to my ground units & ctrl + f11 walk near the units and watch myself in the plane fly over using reply and wait sitting in VR, scares he crap out of me when the stuff hits the fan.

Also sit my friends in VR close to the ground units in VR and watch there faces lol 

Edited by freehand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, freehand said:

In 2017 when I had the CV1 yes.

Interesting.

I know LCTRL + F11 worked in 2d because I use is often, but I have no firsthand knowledge of it in VR prior to the last update. The prevalent opinion above seems to be that it wasn't working for VR.

I wonder if it somehow broke at some point after 2017, requiring a fix?