3080ti + 3840x1600 : what should I except ?

Arnaud

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new GPU (ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 Ti O12G GAMING) and a new monitor (Alienware AW3821DW - 3840x1600 - GSync 144Hz).

The rest of the configuration is a little older : 
CPU : Intel Core i7-8700K
Mobo : Asus MAXIMUS X HERO
RAM : G-Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C14D-32GVK

Obviously, most of my games are running smoothly maxed out but, of course, it's a different story when it comes to DCS.

DCS is installed on a M.2 SSD (Samsung 980 PRO - 1 To)

My current settings and my Nvidia Control Panel Setting, see attached files.

My question is : what kind of performance (smoothness, fps) should I except from my configuration (big GPU but big monitor) ?

Am currently reaching 40+ fps with theses settings. And it's kinda choppy sometimes as well. I wonder how I could improve things and if it's normal with my current settings - which I suspect is the case because MSAA x4 + SSA x1.5 is a lot to ask for a 3840x1600 monitor.

I've seen here and there, on this forum, a few tweaks that I'm planning to implement (like Power service off, and many other little experiment) but I want to make sure that am experiencing the same problems others have with my configuration - which is supposed to be above average.

Thank's in advance for your answers.

nvcp-3.png

nvcp-2.png

nvcp-1.png

Screen_220128_162045.png

Screen_220128_162045.png

nvcp-1.png

nvcp-2.png

nvcp-3.png

Edited by Arnaud

SSLR, SSAA, SSAO absolutely off

MSAA 2x

Cockpit illumination off

This will double your fps. Then you can set shadows high, terrain shadows default. If it runs well, try MSAA back to 4x or illumination on, which makes shadows in cockpit better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jurinko said:

SSLR, SSAA, SSAO absolutely off

MSAA 2x

Cockpit illumination off

This will double your fps. Then you can set shadows high, terrain shadows default. If it runs well, try MSAA back to 4x or illumination on, which makes shadows in cockpit better.

Thank's Jurinko for your answer.

So, according to you, what am experiencing is normal considering my actual settings ?

You enabled some performance killing switches, especially with double SS which eat fps with not much visual gain. Yes I would say it is normal, when high-end PCs cannot run everything at max. But you can get 95% of visuals with doubled framerate if you know what to switch off.

With 30x0 series, definitely try the ReBAR option (improved my performance a lot, but it runs with older drivers only). I keep the driver from 30.3.2021 because of that. 

2nd thing which surprisingly helped my RTX 3070/5600x/HP Reverb PC a lot is disabling of Power service under services.msc window and reboot. Uninstall GeForce Experience, if you have it.

Global cockpit illumination has anywhere between no-impact up to dozen fps impact on performance in 1440p, visual quality also differs depending on module, so I would experiment with it ON and OFF in various aircraft you fly. 

All the "SS" stuff, however, does always murder performance, with rather questionable improvement of quality in return. As mentioned above get rid of these as a first step, and do you really need 4x MSAA playing in 4K?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Jurinko,

I have followed your advices :

- SSLR, SSAA, SSAO : OFF

- shadows high, terrain shadows default

- Power service : OFF

and things got way better. I kept MSAA X4, cockpit illumination ON though. Just tried removing the tiny bit needed.

FPS increased to around 100ish.

But it still lacked the "butter smooth" feeling I needed, specialy when I turn my head quickly.

I followed the advice from another thread and capped the FPS of DCS to 60. My monitor is currently running @ 120Hz.

And now, it feels really smooth with quite high graphics settings.

In case it can help someone in the future...

Screen_220128_191335.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Art-J said:

and do you really need 4x MSAA playing in 4K?

Hello Art-J, that is a very fair point.

It is, indeed, the first dial I will turn down if I need extra FPS, and then maybe the cockpit illumination as well like you suggested. 

But for now the right "feeling" is back when playing, so I think I may have reached the sweet spot.

Thank's for your answer

Hi maxsenna,

I had the privilege of checking out a 3080ti first hand last year. I personally run a 6800xt. 

However, if your happy at 60fps being capped while using g-sync enabled. You can pretty much turn everything on/ultra/max in DCS settings but leave SSAA=off. The 3080ti I tested with my 5600x could do those settings at 4k resolution, it maintained 60fps pretty much everywhere.

Dont be afraid to experiment, SSAA is the proper fps killer. 

The only thing I think I changed in the NVCP was power management=maximum and G-sync=enabled.

If you want to bump up the anti aliasing then enable MFAA in the Nvidia control panel and set MSAA 2x in DCS, it gives almost MSAA 4x image for zero measurable performance hit over MSAA 2x 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:38 PM, edmuss said:

If you want to bump up the anti aliasing then enable MFAA in the Nvidia control panel and set MSAA 2x in DCS, it gives almost MSAA 4x image for zero measurable performance hit over MSAA 2x 🙂

Thank's Edmuss for the tip. I may try to use it at some point.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:38 PM, jurinko said:

Arnaud if you see no improvement with Power service off, turn it back.

Resizable BAR tech seems not to work anymore even with the old driver. 

Bossco cool avatar.

Yeah, I turned the service back on, but didn't see any noticable difference when it was off.

Thank you all for your feedbacks.