Are FLIR Improvements Coming to CA?

Apocalypse31

As per this week's newsletter: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/ee477a8c5691cd4057edb58b41fed416/

We will see some significant improvements to thermal modelling. I'm really hoping that this is also applied to the Thermal sights on vehicles in Combined Arms. I just hope this is coming to CA. It would be a game changer for ground units, and finally give a realistic edge to units with decent thermal imaging packages. 

• Like 7

• ED Team

FLIR work is for the aircraft initially.

Later when time allows we plan to bring it to ground units but I can not give you any ETA for that. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

third parties will have access to the API once it is ready in the SDK. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Too bad Combined Arms is developed by ED. 

It's just such a wasted opportunity for ground combat. The module rarely see's any improvements and fixes.

Modern vehicles like the Leopard and Abrams, and even upgrades to the T-72/T-90 have an edge because of their advanced thermal imaging systems. That cannot be replicated in DCS.

• Like 6

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

It's just such a wasted opportunity for ground combat. The module rarely see's any improvements and fixes.

Modern vehicles like the Leopard and Abrams, and even upgrades to the T-72/T-90 have an edge because of their advanced thermal imaging systems. That cannot be replicated in DCS.

Combined arms is a lot of fun now, sure there is a lot more potential there, and when time allows I am sure we will see more work done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Ohhh. The newsletter could have been clearer on that matter. When it listed out all the jets that would get the new FLIR, I didn't pick up that those were only ED jets. I doubt I'll be the only one to miss that. It would be better to spell things out in the newsletter rather than miss important points.

(edit: I get that it'll come to third party jets eventually but the timing sounds like it may be quite different).

Edited by bell_rj
  • Like 2

PC specs:

• ED Team
Just now, bell_rj said:

Ohhh. The newsletter could have been clearer on that matter. When it listed out all the jets that would get the new FLIR, I didn't pick up that those were only ED jets. I doubt I'll be the only one to miss that. It would be better to spell things out in the newsletter rather than miss important points.

Not only, as mentioned it will be available to the third parties. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

This also now means we have to rely on everyone putting it in, including the modules ED has made themselves.....

Why are all these old systems still left in place in the first place? This is only going to force more work on ED, Third Parties, and the community.

The community to report this when whatever module is missing the new engine, or when it breaks a year down the road because of spaghettification.

Then we have to wait on third parties to implement it.

Then we have to wait on ED to shove it into a patch.

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

This also now means we have to rely on everyone putting it in, including the modules ED has made themselves.....

Why are all these old systems still left in place in the first place? This is only going to force more work on ED, Third Parties, and the community.

The community to report this when whatever module is missing the new engine, or when it breaks a year down the road because of spaghettification.

What are you talking about? it's not magic, each aircraft using it will have to be worked on by a dev and then tested. 
Cheer up a little. 

3 hours ago, Apocalypse31 said:

Wasn't there once a studio called "Battlefield" that was in talks with ED to take care of the CA?

what has become of it?

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

I'm not really sure what you're complaining about? When you build a new system, putting it into an API for others to implement seems to be the standard way to do things. Doing a hard swap of the old system for the new one is only going to guarantee that things get broken. 

In the past when new core APIs are implemented, third party devs have typically been quite quick to include them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobel said:

Wasn't there once a studio called "Battlefield" that was in talks with ED to take care of the CA?

what has become of it?

I've never heard of that, but I do know that once upon a time the developers of Steel Beasts (eSim games) had discussed working with ED on the module. ED turned them down and now we have a module that......well yeah.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

In the past when new core APIs are implemented, third party devs have typically been quite quick to include them.

In the meantime I'd like you to get me a count of aircraft still missing the [prerender] interior reflections that came with the launch of the Hind.

My point is exactly this. There is no guarantee when it will come.

Edited by XCNuse

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Combined arms is a lot of fun now, sure there is a lot more potential there, and when time allows I am sure we will see more work done. 

Lot of fun?
Yeah, I guess you did played the campaign that comes with it. When you try give orders to vehicles or aircraft just to see them get killed in the most stupid way. Meanwhile the enemy AI, who is suppossed to use same AI logic, kills you with pleasure.
Or your arty got stuck with a firemission that you are unnable to click with the UI to cancel it

Yeah is a lot of fun for sure

Sorry if the ironic post sounded hard, but its hard to hear that from ED when in the community we all know where is the CA potential and where it is now

• Like 1

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Renko said:

Lot of fun?
Yeah, I guess you did played the campaign that comes with it. When you try give orders to vehicles or aircraft just to see them get killed in the most stupid way. Meanwhile the enemy AI, who is suppossed to use same AI logic, kills you with pleasure.
Or your arty got stuck with a firemission that you are unnable to click with the UI to cancel it

Yeah is a lot of fun for sure

Sorry if the ironic post sounded hard, but its hard to hear that from ED when in the community we all know where is the CA potential and where it is now

see a bug, please post a short track replay example, we will check it. 

thanks

• ED Team
Just now, Renko said:

You didnt even read what i write, did you?

If its not fun for you there is not a lot I can do, but if you see a bug report it and we will take a look, I can try to make it a better experience for you. 

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

If its not fun for you there is not a lot I can do, but if you see a bug report it and we will take a look, I can try to make it a better experience for you. 

I see you keep missing the point when you said "If its not fun for you there is not a lot I can do", which was not my point and sound a little bit condescending.
Im not gonna waste more time in this exchange.

Have a good day

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Renko said:

I see you keep missing the point when you said "If its not fun for you there is not a lot I can do", which was not my point and sound a little bit condescending.
Im not gonna waste more time in this exchange.

Have a good day

Have a good day

2 hours ago, Hobel said:

what has become of it?

I was wondering the exact same thing a couple weeks back. I think they were using the name "Battlefield Productions", and they were testing the water to see if there would be any interest in a ground crew assets pack for airfields as a way to break into DCS World. Being able to add SC type ground crew in the mission editor to handle traffic/logistics on airfields would be a major boost in immersion. Sadly no news. 

But I don't think they were meant to have anything to do with any fixes needed for CA. So FLIR improvements would still have to come from ED.

Edited by Callsign112

2 hours ago, Apocalypse31 said:

I've never heard of that, but I do know that once upon a time the developers of Steel Beasts (eSim games) had discussed working with ED on the module. ED turned them down and now we have a module that......well yeah.

CA coming from a JTAC desktock trainer to the UK Army, build before ED think anything about making DCS World, on 2007. Talked by Jim Mackonochie on SimWare.

More info was posted when ED visit ITEC on 2010 (the old videos disapear from wags channel).

6 hours ago, XCNuse said:

Let me break news to you.

Things take effort and time to be built.