Hind extremely FPS hungry

Wacko_ZA

Hi guys, 
A little confused here. The hind seems to be munching my FPS like crazy, with most modules i get 50/60FPS with decent settings, but with the hind I am barely getting 30!
Any ideas whats going on? any settings I can look at to smooth it out?
See my settings below.
MSI z16 laptop with 3060
32gb ram
I7 11800H

Screen_220128_182320.png

13 hours ago, Scofflaw said:

Speaking specifically for the hind, on my PC, enabling mirrors will automatically drop the FPS down by at least 10

With a mobile 3060 and your resolution, I would definitely turn off MSAA.  I doubt that would double your FPS though.

Here is the thing, no mirrors.
ALL other modules I easily get 50/60 FPS, which I am happy with. only the Crocodile giving me issues.

I had the same problem. ( Ryzen 7 3800 and Radeon RX6800)

Only 30-35 fps maximum. what level of details or resulotion ever.

In the driver software i set the following (nothing else)

"Enhanced-Sync on"

"Anti-Lag on"

Result : 50-70 fps

(on full detail / clutter grass etc...visible distance on "extreme" / 3440 x 1440)

but on Marian Islands i have "only"  30-45 max ^^.

the mirrors seem to have no effect here. i honestly wonder why.

Edited by Deimos

AMD Ryzen 7 / 3800X 8-Core  /  Nvidia 4080Super / RAM: 64 GB

3440 x 1440   / trackIR 5 / hp reverb G2

VPC Mongoos T-50CM3 Throttle / vkb-Gladiator NXT premium Stick

16 hours ago, wackomedic911 said:

Hi guys, 
A little confused here. The hind seems to be munching my FPS like crazy, with most modules i get 50/60FPS with decent settings, but with the hind I am barely getting 30!
Any ideas whats going on? any settings I can look at to smooth it out?
See my settings below.
MSI z16 laptop with 3060
32gb ram
I7 11800H

Screen_220128_182320.png

-MSAA to 0

-Anisotropic Filtering to x4

-Install reshade and enable SMAA and CAS Sharpener shadders

HappyFPS

2 hours ago, Deimos said:

the mirrors seem to have no effect here. i honestly wonder why.

When the mirrors dont have an effect on FPS, you are normally CPU bound, which you should not (with a 3800X CPU at normal circumstances...)

-> Do you have Tacview enabled? Tacview can make you CPU bound with most complex scenarios...

17 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Is that confirmed or just an opinion?

"this was optimized to not affect visual quality, yet resulted in reduction of roughly 50% of needed video memory for all used cockpit textures. "
"Performance increase may be noticed on video cards with limited VRAM space"

I think the black mod only benefits people with weak graphic cards.

Edited by Slice313

I think your 3060 has 12GB of RAM? If is has I wouldnt worry about the cockpit. 

What Modules are you compairing it against and is that comparision like for like? (Same map, same mission, same alt). 

I have to be honest I say that what you are getting is what I would expect from a 3060 pushing 1440P with 4x MSAA especially lower down. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

23 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I think your 3060 has 12GB of RAM? If is has I wouldnt worry about the cockpit. 

What Modules are you compairing it against and is that comparision like for like? (Same map, same mission, same alt). 

I have to be honest I say that what you are getting is what I would expect from a 3060 pushing 1440P with 4x MSAA especially lower down. 

syria, a VERY small simple mission, and compared to F14, F16, JF17, Harrier, MI8 and F18, this is why I find it so odd.

7 minutes ago, wackomedic911 said:

syria, a VERY small simple mission, and compared to F14, F16, JF17, Harrier, MI8 and F18, this is why I find it so odd.

Are you at the same alt in the hind as you are in the rest? 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Just now, wackomedic911 said:

no, not used to skimming trees in my jets 😂

Really? - but thats half the fun of flying something you cant really die doing stupid things in 🙂 

It may be part of the issue though. The lower you go the more your fps will drop. Syria is especially harsh in this respect.  You may get a slightly better guage  orf the difference setting up your other modules and the hind next to each other on the ramp at an airfield and spawning into each of them. The hind and F14 should be the heaviest but you'll get a better idea of the gereral difference in fps. Id suggest doing it in the Caucauses map. 

I can do you a quick mission to conpare if you are unfamilar with the ME

• Like 2

I dont know if it is of any use but, for a comparison (not a very good one as I play at 1080P with high settings) I set up the following at Kobuleti - same parking spot. FPS taken with FRAPS. Mirros off. The FPS inst so important as the difference between them. 

F14 102

Mil24 111

AV8B 117

F18 117 

Mil-8 124 

F16 126

Given your experience I would have to say its probably a combination of the lower alts, Syria's performance redering at 1440P thats doing your legs.. You'll regain a little using 2X MSAA and quite a lot reducing your resolution to 1080P  if that is tolerable and possible.  Texture settings from High to medium will gain you a few fps also shouldnt hurt too much in modern cockpits tho you will notice it on the Hip. Anisotropic filtering from 16 to 8 may help in some situations but not in others. 

If you dont intend to fly near any large bodies of water a setting with low water  isnt too bad afte the recent changes although anything more than the odd stream will be noticable.  Whacking down your prelaod to 60000 or so should help loading times but wont make any noticable difference to fps. 

I dont know if you have the Nvidia control panel set up for DCS - if you do the profile is the "black Shark" one for standalone regardless of version (not sure about steam) and the influential settings there are limitied to having power "prefer max performance" and texture filter to "performance" or "high Performance" with Trilinear Optimisation "On".  Negative LOD bias to allow may gain you an odd frame here and there. 

Finally - I see its a laptop - have you set up your windows power profiles, disabled gaming mode and turned off gpu scheduling?

• Like 2

I have a 3090RTX and I can confirm that the Hind is the most demanding module I've flown in DCS. I don't own them all however, but for comparison the F14 was the most demanding module until the arrival of the Hind. On my machine this noticeable when flying in VR, even without looking at frametimes or FPS counters. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:21 AM, Lurker said:

On my machine this noticeable when flying in VR, even without looking at frametimes or FPS counters. 

Same experience here. I may not have the latest graphics card, but I can comfortably fly the Huey, Ka-50, AV-8B and Mirage at any speed and altitude with no performance hitches. The Hind is a different story, often showing choppiness just looking around on the ground, let alone flying the thing.

I'm really hoping that there is further optimisation coming for this one...

7 hours ago, Goffik said:

Same experience here. I may not have the latest graphics card, but I can comfortably fly the Huey, Ka-50, AV-8B and Mirage at any speed and altitude with no performance hitches. The Hind is a different story, often showing choppiness just looking around on the ground, let alone flying the thing.

I'm really hoping that there is further optimisation coming for this one...

I think it will for sure, she's still an EA bird so I would imagine its on the radar. But yes I definitely notice some choppiness as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well my system runs all the modules at 30-40 fps in VR so I'm not worried there isn't a lot of fps difference here, if you run re-shade you cant run the latest version in VR it doesn't work, you have to run 4.9 then add the ReshadeVR_sharpen_color addon then it all works in VR and its awesome smooth as silk.

the hardest of fps i find is Marianna's but that's to be expected with a new map.

having a fast cpu and heaps of memory helps my system is 5900x, msi mobo, rtx 2070 super, 64 gig corsair vengeance ddr4 ram and gen4 ssd which dcs runs off, and i think cpu and ram make the difference cause a mate has slower cpu and less ram but a 3080 and i get on average better performance than he does.

people make to much of big frame rates you don't need them as long its smooth, i basically run mid settings in the game and between that and top settings there actually not that much diff visually

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

18 hours ago, Kiwi_Viper said:

people make to much of big frame rates you don't need them as long its smooth

You sound like someone who never played in VR with decent framerates and don't know what smooth actually feels like. Console players used to defend they machines saying 30fps is all they need and human eye would even not notice a difference between 30 and 60fps. If I had 30-40 fps in VR I would stop playing DCS long time ago.

Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

On 3/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, Marklar said:

If I had 30-40 fps in VR I would stop playing DCS long time ago.

I understand your statement. Unfortunately yesterday was the day I stopped flying in VR, due to low fps.
Its not related to the HIND only, which really "eats" my GPU, but also the APACHE.
In BuddySpikes BlueFlag Syria 80's I had a nightmare at 20-30 fps with very low graphic settings, which made me have a little headache after approx 1 hour of flying.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Supposedly the double cockpit has some VRAM issue. The black cockpit supposedly fixed that, I just hate black cockpits 

Tomcat has double cockpit and an insame amount of detail and textures with superb quality (for me, reference graphic quality of DCS Modules, only other module on par is Apache), at first fps suffered a bit but now it looks that it was fixed, on the Hind is still same as at the release

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

31 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Tomcat has double cockpit and an insame amount of detail and textures with superb quality (for me, reference graphic quality of DCS Modules, only other module on par is Apache), at first fps suffered a bit but now it looks that it was fixed, on the Hind is still same as at the release

On 1/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Supposedly the double cockpit has some VRAM issue. The black cockpit supposedly fixed that, I just hate black cockpits 

Hey, do you have a link where to download this for the APACHE?

Another question: does a cockpit mod for the HIND exist with lower res textures?

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1