Mission 5 tactics question (includes spoilers)

Indianajon

OK so here is a question for you all and a canvas of opinion. In mission 5, disregarding the wildcard you are faced with multiple low level F16s with all aspect missiles.  How do you deal with them? I've flown this mission four times now on various playthroughs and it's one I really struggle with, which I love, but I find lessons hard to come by.

Ideally I'd like to have an PDSTT and knock one out with a fox 1 by the merge, but given their relative position this is almost impossible to get until within 5miles because of the background clutter meaning I'm generally on the defensive already. 

I could drop altitude to solve this but then have potentially less energy after the merge. Obviously the F16s have a much better thrust/weight ratio anyway so just saying above to boom and zoom doesn't really work as it does with the F5s. 

Likewise I would normally try to bracket with my Wingman to Ideally get some potential shots but due to the struggle getting a lock and the faster closing speed I find this impossible. 

The F14 has more speed but I find separation more problematic because of the all aspect missiles.

So what do you do? How do you counter the threat? What works? What is the correct strategy? Is there a correct strategy? I have beaten this mission once but it felt opportunistic and lucky rather than strategic. Teach me Internet! What are the best strategies.

Edited by Indianajon

• 2 months later...

I went max speed towards the F-16s, then quickly fired head-on Sidewinders on each F-16, as they are fire and forget. Defended their missiles, then dealt with the F5s and then with the remaining F-16.

• Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled