User files ratings?

Gorn557

I don't suppose there's any kind of rating or recommendation system for user-created missions or campaigns? There are just so many of them (which is great), but I have no idea which ones are five-star pieces of art and which one are going to crash 45 minutes into an unclear mission with broken trigger points. I have just been trying them one by one, but I fear I'm missing out on good ones just due to lack of awareness of their existence. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I wish the ratings were brought back. They were the main indicator if something is worth downloading or not.

Honestly I have no idea why and how someone could abuse it. I guess it should be possible to implement a safe guard that you can only rate uploaded content for the modules that you own, similar like on Steam I can only post reviews to games that I own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jascha said:

I wish the ratings were brought back. They were the main indicator if something is worth downloading or not.

Honestly I have no idea why and how someone could abuse it. I guess it should be possible to implement a safe guard that you can only rate uploaded content for the modules that you own, similar like on Steam I can only post reviews to games that I own.

The main problem is, a mission may work fine now and get a super 5 star rating. Then a year (and many DCS updates) later, that same mission is broken, the author doesn't know this or even left DCS entirely, yet that super 5 star rating remains.. 

Also, I think the 1-5 rating system we had, only works (to some extent) if also made visible how many folks voted. To filter out the (jealous?) weirdos that just spammed 1 star reviews without even downloading the particular file.

Also also, it really didn't make sense that the author was able to give his/her own user files 5 stars.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

20 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Personally I think the 1-5 rating system we had, only works (to some extent) if also made visible how many folks voted.

That's a good idea. Moreover, ratings should be visible only after certain amount (10?) of people have rated the file. Excluding the uploader of course.

• Like 1

That still doesn't solve the age issue Sirrah pointed above. There is almost user 170000 addons in the repository on ED site right now. They've been submitted since 2010 for various ED products from FC2 to DCS as it is today, but obviously only a fraction of them is compatible with version 2.7.xx.

Every time a patch is released, some of these addons become broken, and it's physically impossible to check user file compatibility after every game update. Even if we wanted to narrow down the search to content submitted after DCS 2.5. was released, it's still thousands of files.

Thus every user addon, which was 5-star jewel once, becomes literally unusable trash over time, making the rating outdated.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, Art-J said:

That still doesn't solve the age issue Sirrah pointed above. There is almost user 170000 addons in the repository on ED site right now. They've been submitted since 2010 for various ED products from FC2 to DCS as it is today, but obviously only a fraction of them is compatible with version 2.7.xx.

You can filter by date (from-to) and by DCS 2.7x category ("Game").

BTW option to filter by text / search only in given category would be very useful.