autopilot altitude/speed binding

skypickle

I can switch altitude and speed in the autopilot by clicking the appropriate switch in the cockpit. But when I bound the controls to a pair of buttons, the switch does not 'stick'. For example, I have a two way hat on the Virpil alpha bound. Forward is altitude and backward is speed. When I press the appropriate button on the stick, I see the switch move but then it pops right back. Is this the intended behavior?

• Like 1

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

• 2 months later...

This problem is very old. I've been wanting to raise this issue for a long time. It is not very convenient to turn on the autopilot with the mouse because you have to fly very low, at an altitude of 10-20 meters and you can crash into the ground when you get distracted.

GreyCat_SPb

On 1/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, skypickle said:

I can switch altitude and speed in the autopilot by clicking the appropriate switch in the cockpit. But when I bound the controls to a pair of buttons, the switch does not 'stick'. For example, I have a two way hat on the Virpil alpha bound. Forward is altitude and backward is speed. When I press the appropriate button on the stick, I see the switch move but then it pops right back. Is this the intended behavior?

Depends! 😉 Yes, it is intended, but you have probably bound the incorrect bindings. I had to find out by trial and error as they are not totally intuitive.
You need to bind "Mode up", and "Mode down", if you are going to use momentary buttons.
And remember, it's a 3-way switch, so you, if you are "down" you need "two up" again. But you can bind the middle as well.

If one has a physical 3-way (like on my Warthog), the correct binding is "Altitude mode" and "Speed mode". Then the middle "Set" is correct when switch is in the middle.
Hope this helps!
Cheers!

1 hour ago, ASW said:

This problem is very old. I've been wanting to raise this issue for a long time. It is not very convenient to turn on the autopilot with the mouse because you have to fly very low, at an altitude of 10-20 meters and you can crash into the ground when you get distracted.

Read my reply above.
It works fine, it's just not very well explained in the control settings. 😊

• Thanks 1

2 часа назад, MAXsenna сказал:

Depends! 😉 Yes, it is intended, but you have probably bound the incorrect bindings. I had to find out by trial and error as they are not totally intuitive.
You need to bind "Mode up", and "Mode down", if you are going to use momentary buttons.
And remember, it's a 3-way switch, so you, if you are "down" you need "two up" again. But you can bind the middle as well.

MAX, where have you been before?:) I suffered for many years, but I didn't want to ask. Everything works! How does the user know what "mode" up and "move down" are?

GreyCat_SPb

Just now, ASW said:

MAX, where have you been before?:) I suffered for many years, but I didn't want to ask. Everything works! How does the user know what "mode" up and "move down" are?

I APPOLOGIZE!!!! Just took me this long to get through the forum... HAHA

Altitude hold is up, and speed hold is down. If you bring up the controls overlay it will be displayed in white, like the hover hold.
I have feeling A LOT of control gems are hidden this way. Same with the switches on the collective (I have K-51's), so I just found out by trial and error like I wrote. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Some of the controls are labeled "else/off", but I'm positive, if you go through the switches many are this way.
Basically, I stumbled upon this thread and decided to test. Noticed some duplicates, and then it struck me.

Of course it doesn't help that they are not grouped adjacent/alphabetical together.

Happy to help!!! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I also accidentally found the TPOD Zoom In and Zoom out buttons on the Harrier. Poking the mouse at the screen to zoom in and out is very inconvenient. They can kill.) The buttons were in the keyboard macros category

TPOD.jpg

Edited by ASW
  • Like 2

GreyCat_SPb

2 hours ago, ASW said:

I also accidentally found the TPOD Zoom In and Zoom out buttons on the Harrier. Poking the mouse at the screen to zoom in and out is very inconvenient. They can kill.) The buttons were in the keyboard macros category

TPOD.jpg

Yeah, that makes so much sense! 😄 

Just type "zoom" into the search box and you'll get all bindings with zoom functionality. That's easy! Myself I never had a problem with the auto pilot modes of the Gazelle. If you want to control a 3-pos-switch with just 2 keys you can't choose a binding for only 2 functions out of 3, can you?

Just type "zoom" into the search box and you'll get all bindings with zoom functionality. That's easy! Myself I never had a problem with the auto pilot modes of the Gazelle. If you want to control a 3-pos-switch with just 2 keys you can't choose a binding for only 2 functions out of 3, can you?

You might have missed the point, or I might misunderstand you.
As you actually you can, to your last question.
That's sort of the point I made above. Not all the bindings are named in an intuitive way. Because both momentary options, (up/down), and switches (on else off) are implemented, but the naming is confusing, and you might not actually even find what you're looking for if you search. Hence this thread.
The altitude hold and speed hold, can be used with momentary buttons as up/down/middle with three buttons, or cycled up and down between the three positions with two buttons, but you need to press two times to go from up to down through the middle position.
Or you can ie use the three physical position switch like on the Warthog, but since it only has two logical positions, you need to have on/else off implemented. But in the controls settings for the Gazelle, it doesn't say this in the "description", hence it is confusing. Several switches are like this in this module. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, and will have these better described in the Kiowa, and will "fix it" later in the Gazelle!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk