Non-combat helo in DCS?

masonator

Non-combat helo in DCS?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Non-combat helo in DCS?

• Heck yeah I'd fly a non-combat helo!
    • Not a chance, mate. I'm all about the violence!

Hey guys. The spectacular flight model in DCS:BS has me thinking: Would you fly a helicopter is it wasn't an "attack" helicopter? For example; would you fly a Blackhawk to drop troops off behind enemy lines? Or would you fly an MH-6 little Bird to drop off specops on a rooftop?

Certainly!

Most of my simming is in aircraft without weapons.

I go where the good sims are - decent fidelity is all I need to enjoy it.

Of course in a combat sim, I'm not sure there is much place for something like an R-22, or B222 - but heck, I'd fly them!

Longbow used to have missions for Kiowa as well as Blackhawk pilots where shooting wasn't really a part of the deal, but you still had appropriate and enjoyable missions doing recon, transport, SAR etc.

Edited by TX-EcoDragon

S! TX-EcoDragon

While waiting for Blackshark, I would often fly the EH101 in FSX and pretend to do troop insertions in the forests....

while it didn't model VRS, it did have collidable trees, which could be a real nuisance!!

Dropping groundpounders on rooftops could be more exciting than stand-off tactics with the blackshark --I'm all for it!!

I was thinking about Longbow 2 when I created this poll. I think that, given the fact that DCS is the most realistic flight model for any helo I've ever seen, it would be awesome to have some non-combat helicopters in there. I spend a lot of time simply flying the shark around Georgia...no weapons. Wouldn't it be great to do some missions in a Mi8 or something?

Edited by masonator
bad spelling

Wouldn't it be great to do some missions in a Mi8 or something?

You have my vote :joystick:

I think if someone (I`m not that good with 3D modeling) would make a good 3D model of it...ED might think about it. If it helps I have the manuals and friends and flight-school colleagues that fly the Mi-8/17 as well as acces to them.

Yes IF there would be another choppers, if not (example we have situation with Ka-50 which is alone now) for me it would be rather boring. Flying some Mis excorted by human controlled Ka-50s and Mi-24s would be cool. But for this it is need to do much more ground things which now we don't have, example good troops animation, dropping on lines, smart AI ect...

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I might have answered in the affirmative........that was until I pressed the trigger for the first time in anger, heard and felt that 30mm doing it's thing not more than a foot or so from me in my virtual cockpit, sending rounds downrange.....:gun_sniper:

I'm Content!

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I think if someone (I`m not that good with 3D modeling) would make a good 3D model of it...ED might think about it.

This poll is really just a dream. While I cannot obviously speak for ED, I am confident that there will be no non-combat helicopters for the next several years at least. There are just too many other aircraft that are being developed already.

And besides, if they make a transport bird, the first one better not be an Mi-8. That thing is like flying a dump truck.

If it helps I have the manuals and friends and flight-school colleagues that fly the Mi-8/17 as well as acces to them.

It's safe to say that if ED was going to develop it, they would have access to everything they needed. But out of curiousity, which manuals do you have, the Russian ones, or American (TSMO)? I'm not sure where you're from, but if it's the U.S., we might have some of the same colleagues. ;)

But keep in mind that ED will also supply 3rd party modding tools - so it is certainly possible that, if a group who can create a high-fidelity heli addon pops up, they just might do a non-combat helicopter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have high hopes that at some point we will see high-quality non-combat flyables from 3rd party developers (e.g a payable addon). My personal favorite would be a OV-10 Bronco airborne FAC to go along with the DCS A-10s. Of course the OV-10 is not exactly non combat, but even I can see that it is not enough combat to ever get done by ED directly. I think there is a lot of potential in such "simple" aircraft as 3rd party addons

How about OA-10C? :)

I have high hopes that at some point we will see high-quality non-combat flyables from 3rd party developers (e.g a payable addon). My personal favorite would be a OV-10 Bronco airborne FAC to go along with the DCS A-10s. Of course the OV-10 is not exactly non combat, but even I can see that it is not enough combat to ever get done by ED directly. I think there is a lot of potential in such "simple" aircraft as 3rd party addons

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

... Dropping groundpounders on rooftops could be more exciting than stand-off tactics with the blackshark ...

Never heard of infantry being called "groundpounders" before ... we're grunts or foot-sloggers ... recon are grunts, and so are (spec ops such as the SAS, commando's etc), when they work in or under the the umbrella domain of the infantry ;).

But yes, this aspect could be interesting for me, a chance to relive the old days, hope they model the Kiowa, the Huey or the Chinnook though.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

In the U.S. at least, ground pounders and grunts are more or less the same thing. I've heard both used quite a bit.

Heh, must be a relatively recent term then (relative to my experience at least ... late 70's thru to mid 80's). Even when I worked with US forces I never heard the terminology except with regard to strike aircraft.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!