F-4E is USAF variant.

DmitriKozlowsky

As far as I can tell going by Internet and books, F-4E is land based variant used by USAF, Israel, JASDF, and NATO Allies.  It has internal gun. Naval F-4 had different variants and used external gunpod. Regardless, I am looking forward to this module. Naval variants are F-4B (USN/USMC), F-4S (USN/USMC), and F-4J/K (RNFAA). The British variant had different engines (RR Spey) with more thrust then American variant. I hope that textures for cockpit would not be so dirty and grimy as to look like they were sampled from F-14A at AMARC sitting out in open desert for 15 years.

• Like 1

Most exports were F-4Es - that's mainly down to the reason that the orders came past the time when the previous models were still produced.

Spain actually only recieved hand-down F-4Cs and RF-4Cs from USAF stocks. Australia in turn only leased their early F-4Es.

The JASDF F-4EJ was quite a deviation from the run of the mill F-4E, and mostly geared for pure air-defense. That included no provisions for aerial refuelling at first. Another fun fact on the EJs is that they never had their slats retrofitted, which is another important stand-out feature.

ROKAF and Iran are also outliers, as they both recieved F-4Ds and F-4Es.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

10 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Regardless, I am looking forward to this module. Naval variants are F-4B (USN/USMC), F-4S (USN/USMC), and F-4J/K (RNFAA). The British variant had different engines (RR Spey) with more thrust then American variant.

RAF Phantoms were F-4K (FG.1 - RNFAA) and F-4M (FGR.2 - RAF) based on heavily modifed F-4J. The F-4J eventually pitched up in UK service as the F-4J(UK) (or 'F.3' - RAF) to fill a gap in Air Defence due to other RAF Phantoms rotating dowwn to the Falkland Islands.

14 minutes ago, Harry.R said:

RAF Phantoms were F-4K (FG.1 - RNFAA) and F-4M (FGR.2 - RAF) based on heavily modifed F-4J. The F-4J eventually pitched up in UK service as the F-4J(UK) (or 'F.3' - RAF) to fill a gap in Air Defence due to other RAF Phantoms rotating dowwn to the Falkland Islands.

All true, except the F.3 bit - was never used as it caused confusion with the paper shufflers with the ADV Tornado.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I at time believed that US Government would order scrapping all F-4 airframes and parts, as they did with F-14, due to Iranian efforts to procure parts on black market for their Shah era F-4Es and F-14A. But it turns out that it was deemed ineffective due to wide export and international supply chain of parts of F-4. F-4 being victim of its own success. Just .like Mig-21. So many international approved and otherwise parts manufacturers, that a dedicated nation state  can assemble Mig-21 , F-4, and maybe F-16, without ever having to have a metal forge. Provided they don't care about details like IP rights, licensing. Somehow , with Chinese and Pakistani help, North Koreans managed to construct between 50 and 150 MD-500/OH-6 helicopters, using re-manufactured, salvaged, airframes and parts.

13 hours ago, upyr1 said:

PIt was the usaf and widely exported. The Israelis, Egyptians and Iranians all had or have the E as did the Spanish, Australians, South Korean, Japanese, Greeks and Turks. and the German F is basically a modified E. 

the Spanish never use the E, they use the C

• Like 1

Considering how committed Heatblur is towards carrier aviation, with the Tomcats and Intruders, I've every faith that they will offer a USN Navy carrier capable variant, and probably ASAP after the E. Just a guess, but yea. 

After that, I dunno... but considering the beauty of a nice white elegant NAVY Phantom, I think we'll get one soon!

1 hour ago, Rick50 said:

Considering how committed Heatblur is towards carrier aviation, with the Tomcats and Intruders, I've every faith that they will offer a USN Navy carrier capable variant, and probably ASAP after the E. Just a guess, but yea. 

Right in their FAQ:

Q: Will there be a Navy F-4?
A: Yes! Our Phantom journey only begins with the -E. However, owing to the complexity of the work and investment of time and effort, it will not be included in the DCS: F-4E product. We’re instead choosing to focus on providing the most content rich F-4E we possibly can, and then set our sights on further telling the legendary story of the F-4. 

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

While we are waiting for our Rhino, check out the outstanding F-4EJ videos on the 1-300 youtube channel. Breathtaking!

And there is no reason to not at least LAND an F-4E on the boat - the hook is exactly the same. Only difference in the gear is the high pressure tires on the Navy jets, but we landed the same way in the USAF (although the approach speed on the slatted jets was a bit faster), so they should work... Now getting off the boat might be a challenge, as there are no bridle hooks on an E, so a crane may be needed!).

I once saw an F-4E take the (supposedly disconnected) approach end MA-1 cable during an emergency landing due to a hydraulic failure. This was at Myrtle Beach AFB, back around 1986 or so; we were flying out of there while the runway at Seymour Johnson AFB was being worked on. Anyway, I was the SOF for a large force launch with LIVE BOMBS (!) and one of the jets had Util Hyd failure (pretty common no-big-deal EP in the Rhino), so came back for an approach end cable - which means the BAK-12 1000' or so down the runway, NOT the MA-1 cable which is ONLY a departure cable (uses old ship anchor chain). I asked the tower crew to confirm that the MA-1 was disconnected, and they assured me it was, and the aircrew got a bit low on short final, looking at the big yellow balls 1000' down the runway where the cable was - and dragged their hook in the underrun, picking up the MA-1 cable that wasn't supposed to be there. That stopped the jet way before it got to the BAK-12! No damage to the F-4, but the MA-1 cable was destroyed. Pretty cool to watch - the local guys were pissed that we broke their cable, but they shouldn't have left it there! Oh, and the jet had six live MK82s onboard at the time...

Vulture

• Like 1

Navy Phantoms had Sea Legs...... beefier landing gear. If you remember McNamara tried to push the F-111 off on the Navy and Marine Corp, like they did with the Phantom. The USN was more interested in the Tomcat, now it's the Lightning II. The F-15 variants "Dash" letter has to do with the country we sell it to...... F-15SA, Saudia Arabia, F-15I, IDF, etc.........

Sempre Fortis

This "I think I'll wait for the Navy variant, meh"

I simply can't relate to. I'm looking forward to the F4 and carrier ops as much as the next buy, but...

McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II / last version of the Vietnam War -  Implemented Suggestions - War Thunder - Official Forum

I'll take this any day and be glad of it. Even when the Navy one arrives, I'll still spend some time in this one.

• Like 6

On 2/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, Gambit21 said:

I simply can't relate to. I'm looking forward to the F4 and carrier ops as much as the next buy, but...

McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom II / last version of the Vietnam War -  Implemented Suggestions - War Thunder - Official Forum

I'll take this any day and be glad of it. Even when the Navy one arrives, I'll still spend some time in this one.

I'm an AF Brat so I like the fact we're getting the E first 

• Like 4

I know zip about Phantoms.

Just noticed the fuel tanks are mounted outboard in the photo above.  Where as the new planes all load them inboard. Anyone know why?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

On 2/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, Gambit21 said:

Ditto, AF Phantom is too cool. I'm a bit too young to really remember much Phantoms service and the ones I did see were the grey-toned AF ones.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 1/30/2022 at 12:41 PM, Elf1606688794 said:

You could learn on the E while you wait for a naval variant, and a naval variant is coming.

No interest in a land-only variant that doesn't perform the Phantom's intended use. Starting the F-4 line with a USAF gun-nose phantom is like starting a B-25 line with a Navy radar-nose PBJ instead. A swing and a miss; not to detract from the enjoyment of others.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:41 PM, bC3660 said:

I think I will wait till we get a US Navy model.

We may not ever get a proper -B, -J, -N or -S F-4, but the devs have spoken. Another wash.

Edited by exhausted

26 minutes ago, exhausted said:

No interest in a land-only variant that doesn't perform the Phantom's intended use. Starting the F-4 line with a USAF gun-nose phantom is like starting a B-25 line with a Navy radar-nose PBJ instead. A swing and a miss; not to detract from the enjoyment of others.

We may not ever get a proper -B, -J, -N or -S F-4, but the devs have spoken. Another wash.

The Navy variants are hands-down the prettiest ones! With the big radar noses and smoother lines. 

That said, the F-4E's we're getting have always been my favourite. I don't think it's the same as starting with a Navy variant B-25 which in comparison was obscure and rare. The F-4E is the most-produced, most ubiquitous version that saw the most combat and produced the most kills and aces. But that's me being nit picky!

• Like 5