2022 is going to be huge!

Lace

ApAcHe drops -> Me "OK".

VuLkAn and MuLtICoRe drop -> Me "WOOHOOOHOO!"

Now seriously: VR only player here. Vulkan and Multicore are highly expected this year, but it's only expectation. These two would be the best what can happen to DCS right now.

Apache and new FLIR tech are only the icing on that cake for me.

• Like 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

19 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

You're expecting too much, too soon. VR is still in it's infancy. Headsets are getting better, but unless you spend thousands on the latest and greatest, it's just not going to be perfect. Has nothing to do with ED or multi-core, VR is just not there yet. I run a 6900XT Red Devil and it's smooth, and looks great, but not 1440p monitor great. The tech just isn't there, yet. Flying in VR is the greatest thing ever. Even at lower quality. But to think everything will magically be amazing when DCS goes to Vulkan is just silly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Opinion heard and respected. That said, I can crank my index and DCS setting to the max and as long as I don’t move, it’s absolutely stunning( not 4 k but ya know…) 

In order to get it to run remotely smooth it looks Like a dirty proctoscope lense in an unclean colon!  The goggles work’ Yes the PC tech needs to catch up but if I throw a 2080ti at it, and it runs the same or worse than my old 1080, That to me SEEMS, like it’s the software.  
As much as I love it, and I am just one guy I realize, no money until they fix the roof and foundation. I’m not putting any more paint on a leaky house and I just can’t do the Monitor thing… 

• Like 3

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Opinion heard and respected. That said, I can crank my index and DCS setting to the max and as long as I don’t move, it’s absolutely stunning( not 4 k but ya know…) 
In order to get it to run remotely smooth it looks Like a dirty proctoscope lense in an unclean colon!  The goggles work’ Yes the PC tech needs to catch up but if I throw a 2080ti at it, and it runs the same or worse than my old 1080, That to me SEEMS, like it’s the software.  
As much as I love it, and I am just one guy I realize, no money until they fix the roof and foundation. I’m not putting any more paint on a leaky house and I just can’t do the Monitor thing… 

Yeah me neither. VR "ruined" me haha. I've accepted that for now, graphically it's not quite there yet, but for me the immersion makes up for it.

• Like 5

On 2/2/2022 at 11:36 AM, davidrbarnette said:

Can I ask why there seems to be so much optimism around F-15E this year? It's a super cool aircraft, one that I think fits the bill for a great aircraft to simulate in DCS, and I'd love to see it in '22. Having said that, all I've really seen has been a nicely detailed external model and some pretty well done cockpit texturing. I don't think I've seen anything that shows it anywhere near early access, specifically stuff like the flight model, weapons systems, etc that are probably the real work to building an aircraft in DCS. Am I missing something?

They have been teasing radar pics on their discord for some weeks, so I assume FM is being worked on too, basic system IIRC they said are done. So its down to complex stuff now. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

20 hours ago, Baco said:

Lots of optimism here LOL..

I can only see AH-64 and MB 339 assured... Very probable: South Atlantic, Mirage F1... The rest s a blur, lots in the mist of development woes LOL. 

I would put the F-4 in, at least, the very probable. HB said that it has been in developmente for a long time, so they're not starting from scratch and they clearly stated, even in the FAQ, that it will be released in 2022. I think they'll release just one of the two versions, just as they did with the Tomcat, probably the oldest one, which should have the easiest avionics to simulate.

5 hours ago, 3WA said:

DCS should get Dynamic Campaign in soon.  They would sell a lot more modules with it.

The issue with saying they need to do the DC as soon as possible is... they need to do pretty much everything else first. The dynamic campaign isn't going to work unless we get a massive host of corresponding updates - AI (both air and ground) probably being the biggest item; massively expanded assets of all types - units, structures and infrastructure especially; updated damage models - especially for ground units; updated UI, and lots more fundamental stuff.

If the dynamic campaign is released before any of that, especially AI improvement, then the reaction may not be especially positive... it would be sad that ED goes to all the trouble to create the base logistical/strategic simulation, then we start it up and all the AI flights just fly around doing dumb stuff like flying directly over SAMs or chasing hostiles across the map.

So, for me, I'd rather wait until these core items are addressed before getting it. For that reason, 2022 seems optimistic for it.

• Like 3

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

12 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

The issue with saying they need to do the DC as soon as possible is... they need to do pretty much everything else first. The dynamic campaign isn't going to work unless we get a massive host of corresponding updates - AI (both air and ground) probably being the biggest item; massively expanded assets of all types - units, structures and infrastructure especially; updated damage models - especially for ground units; updated UI, and lots more fundamental stuff.

If the dynamic campaign is released before any of that, especially AI improvement, then the reaction may not be especially positive... it would be sad that ED goes to all the trouble to create the base logistical/strategic simulation, then we start it up and all the AI flights just fly around doing dumb stuff like flying directly over SAMs or chasing hostiles across the map.

So, for me, I'd rather wait until these core items are addressed before getting it. For that reason, 2022 seems optimistic for it.

...not to mention the need to improve performance with multicore and vulkan.

20 hours ago, Baco said:

Lots of optimism here LOL..

I can only see AH-64 and MB 339 assured... Very probable: South Atlantic, Mirage F1... The rest s a blur, lots in the mist of development woes LOL. 

Ack! We're barely a fart into February. I really hope there's more than just the Apache and the MB-339 that are assured. I'd like the think the F-15E and South Atlantic at least are included. Another whole year for those two would take the glacial nature of DCS development to a whole new level of slow. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

23 minutes ago, Topo said:

...not to mention the need to improve performance with multicore and vulkan.

Yeah, complex missions are very taxing now especially in multiplayer. Unless the core engine gets a significant performance upgrade (with regards to unit count, AI, explosions, triggers, objectives) then any kind of dynamic campaign is probably going to be DOA. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

My take for 2022

Core engines/APIs:

- Bug squashing 

- Vulkan

- OpenXR (I guess, to replace OpenVR)

- Multi-threading 

- Performance optimization 

Core simulation:

- Bug squashing 

- New DM (damage model) for all units

- IR model for all units

- VoIP radio feature completed

- AI FM and behavior improvements 

- Dynamic weather

- Comms (especially GCI/AWACS) overhaul

- Way more AI units

- Weapons behavior optimization

Modules (already released or EA):

- Bug squashing 

- All modules older than 1 year out of EA

- Overhaul of the one most outdated module (one per year would be great)

- Way more units in WWII Assets Pack

Modules (New):

- Apache Q1 ✅ 🎯

- MB-339 Q1 ✅ Q4

- Mirage F1 Q1 ✅ Q3

- BS3 Q2 ✅ Q4

- F4U Corsair Q2

- South Atlantic Q2 ✅ 🎯

- F-15E Strike Eagle Q3

- A-7 Corsair II Q4

- F-4 Phantom II Q4

- MiG-17 Q4

- Fiat G91 Q4

- Kiowa Q4

- Surprise Module Q4

Well, that’s all folks cheers!!!

Edited by Shrimp
Typo & prediction status

19 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Yeah me neither. VR "ruined" me haha. I've accepted that for now, graphically it's not quite there yet, but for me the immersion makes up for it.

With my 2080ti/oc and after a lot of work I think I get better graphics in my G2 then most people can short of  those that use a 3070-3090 in flat. The main difference I see between my G2 VR quality and youtubers that run flat is the texture quality in the cockpit.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:17 AM, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

That to me SEEMS, like it’s the software.  

It may be your CPU. Without multicore, it's gonna be a bottleneck for the simple reason that modern hardware generally uses more slower cores than a few fast ones. Overclocking the CPU up the wazoo is reported to help. Also, DCS is sensitive to hard drive speed for some reason, and likely memory speed as well. I have a reasonably fast M.2 SSD, but memory is still stuck on DDR3 due to an old mobo, and an old CPU that doesn't overclock too well.

That said, I think VR should be playable in 4K with a 1080Ti. I'm not convinced GPU is the bottleneck at least in my case. My plan for a future rig (likely after shortages are over) is to keep the GPU, the CPU cooler (a decent, if smallish, Corsair water system) and the hard drives, and replace everything else. That said, I'm not doing anything before multicore drops, I want to see know how many threads DCS is actually going to use.

It seems like many people expect Vulkan/multi core to double or triple their performance. I can’t imagine that will be the case. There are other sims with those features and the performance struggle is still a thing. Just some advice to not set your hopes so high with this…

Personally I don’t expect so much of a performance “increase” but that this allows DCS to just run better graphics with a lesser impact. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

40 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

It seems like many people expect Vulkan/multi core to double or triple their performance. I can’t imagine that will be the case. There are other sims with those features and the performance struggle is still a thing. Just some advice to not set your hopes so high with this…

Personally I don’t expect so much of a performance “increase” but that this allows DCS to just run better graphics with a lesser impact. 

So, wouldn't you think if you left the same graphic settings we have now there should be some performance increase?

Buzz

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

So what you're saying is you don't expect much of a performance increase, but you expect a performance increase 😂. Jokes aside, I think you're right. My uneducated guess is, I expect Multicore/Vulcan to increase performance in terms of fps by < 30%. Which in VR especially can be the difference between pleasantly playable and motion sickness. My big hope is that it enables larger scale missions and better AI because physics calcualtions can be spread out as well as pathfinding and decision making.

• Like 1

In theory using 4 or 8 cores vs 1 should have a massive impact. 

Ive only played a few games with  vulcan, but with it you can really crank it up. But theory and reality isn't always the same. I can run that ww2 flight sim almost on max in VR, but that game even on its best doesn't look half as good as DCS does in VR now with my current settings. 

I would really be happy if I could run the game with my current settings,  but not have the game ground to a halt when flying ww2 missions, I have no problem at all in any modern missions I've played. But if I do a missions with like 12 ww2 tanks I'll get a headache. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

So, wouldn't you think if you left the same graphic settings we have now there should be some performance increase?

Some performance increase sure, but not 2 or 3x

plus I don’t want the “same” graphics, I would want to see them improved. DCS is looking quite dated. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

12 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Some performance increase sure, but not 2 or 3x

plus I don’t want the “same” graphics, I would want to see them improved. DCS is looking quite dated. 

Yes, 2 or 3x is never going to happen. Keep in mind that some are just looking for more fps to get rid of stutters and have it run smoother. Not everybody can afford a high end system.

Buzz