2022 is going to be huge!

Lace

24 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

In theory using 4 or 8 cores vs 1 should have a massive impact. 

Ok but I don’t think it’s going to run 4-8x as fast… just saying…

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

In X-plane, switching to Vulkan gave me 30% more fps. I'd realistically expect something similar in DCS. Multicore, on the other hand, I have no idea how much of an improvement can bring, I have no direct comparison, but I hope it'll help a lot, especially in mission with a high number of AI units, those are the ones that right now are giving me a hard time.

6 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

It seems like many people expect Vulkan/multi core to double or triple their performance.

To my understanding, Vulkan and multicore need to work in tandem in order to achieve maximum benefit, especially long-term.

Vulkan by itself indeed is unlikely to boost performance past +30%, and I indeed expect it to make future features "cheaper" (in terms of performance cost) to implement ( = lower overhead).

Multicore by itself should be able to bring pretty significant performance gains, but it highly depends on the situation, and how DCS is coded at the moment. Ditching the "spaghetti code" in favour of something more streamlined should alleviate (at least some of the) current bottlenecks.

-> Do I expect double/triple performance in some select circumstances? Yes I do.
-> Do I expect my average fps over say a 3h flight to double/triple? No I don't.

So in short, I expect very noticable performance gains in situations where it is highly needed, and I also expect very little (if any) extra performance in scenarios that currently already run smoothly. I expect the minimum framerate to go up, with little gain in maximum fps.
I don't think this expectation is very unrealistic...

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
( : is not a smiley!
  • Like 7
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

23 hours ago, Gianky said:

In X-plane, switching to Vulkan gave me 30% more fps. I'd realistically expect something similar in DCS. Multicore, on the other hand, I have no idea how much of an improvement can bring, I have no direct comparison, but I hope it'll help a lot, especially in mission with a high number of AI units, those are the ones that right now are giving me a hard time.

It was the case for X-plane specifically, Vulkan probably won't give results that good in DCS. The reason it gives X-plane such ridiculous boost is that originally it didn't use DirectX. No, it was on OpenGL before they went with Vulkan, since apparently having it working on Linux was important for the devs. The performance under OpenGL, as one should expect from such an antiquated driver, was abysmal. DCS won't replicate this boost simply because it use DX graphics and was Windows-based from the start. However, it'll likely improve things for VR users, because Vulkan was, IIRC, optimized for that quite well (plus, they'll have to rewrite a lot of pre-VR code).

Multicore, however, will likely be a game-changer, particularly on CPUs which can't be heavily overclocked, but the performance increase will be more situational. With AI-heavy missions, you might well get 50% or higher FPS boost. Refactoring that's certain to come with it can unblock some bottlenecks, as well. It's also highly dependent on just how many threads DCS will be able to use.

• Like 1

I'm expecting major game and performance enhancements soon, not because of our side of the house, but their contractors with the really deep pockets sort of require it, and sooner is always better.  They didn't double the team size for nothing, and pretty sure it weren't specifically for us.    

• Like 2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Nodak:

I'm expecting major game and performance enhancements soon, not because of our side of the house, but their contractors with the really deep pockets sort of require it, and sooner is always better.  They didn't double the team size for nothing, and pretty sure it weren't specifically for us.    

That that's not all for us, but also for the professional user can only be fine with us. Attention to detail is also required there.

ED is making a lot of good decisions right now I think. Even though I was initially quite skeptical about the WWII planes. But the WWII planes bring fast money and the fan base also increases with increasing quantity.

I would find it really bad if ED couldn't continue to pursue their dream and also our dream because of empty coffers.

Hope they never lose their enthusiasm for this masterpiece of simulation art.

• Like 4

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

On 1/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Lace said:

Have we ever seen a year where DCS will receive such quantity and quality added to the lineup?  We can realistically expect the Apache, F-15E, F-4, South Atlantic, MB-339, maybe Kiowa, BS3, Bo-105, Corsair (maybe both F-4U and A-7?) MiG-23, new FLIR, dynamic WX, plus others I've probably overlooked.  There seems to be so much on the cards for the next 12 months.  The only downside is the sheer amount of study which will be required.  I think 2022 is going to be an amazing year for DCS, and I for one are hugely appreciative of the work going on.

That’s the 2021 roadmap . My excitement cooled off 

16 hours ago, Archaic said:

Give me dynamic campaign, F15E, F4, and Vulcan, and that's all I ever want.  

More excited for F4 than the Apache.

Although beautiful, I don't think a Vulcan is realistically feasible at the moment

b25lY21zOmI3YzZjNTMyLTkwNDktNDJmZi1hYmQzLTE5ZGVjMDcyNGQwZTozMGY4ZjBhNy1lNTdmLTRkODUtOWMwYS1lOTcxZjc5NGE5YmQ=.jpg?width=640

Or did you perhaps wish for this guy?
a50abba8132a77191791390c3eb19fe7.jpg?itok=kmZVIHaj

Sorry... couldn't resist 😉

(sooo many people are asking for Vulcan 😅)

• Like 6

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

vor 6 Stunden schrieb sirrah:

Although beautiful, I don't think a Vulcan is realistically feasible at the moment

b25lY21zOmI3YzZjNTMyLTkwNDktNDJmZi1hYmQzLTE5ZGVjMDcyNGQwZTozMGY4ZjBhNy1lNTdmLTRkODUtOWMwYS1lOTcxZjc5NGE5YmQ=.jpg?width=640

Really? Com'on! This is a military sim forum. They are obviously talking about this beauty:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan

Noobs... 🙄

Joking aside. I am really excited about the Apache release. Also hope multi-core, Vulkan and the dynamic campaign aren't too far away. Maybe some additional love for Combined Arms and I am more than happy.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2022 at 8:15 AM, sirrah said:

Made my day! rdlaugh.png

My take on that one:

Kid: "Mom, why can't we have Vulcan yet?"
Mom: "But we do have Vulcan at home!"
Vulcan at home:

vmQ51n6.png

As for the multi-threading, it highly depends on the load and how it can be distributed. On my old 3570k rig I was able to fly with 45 fps in VR with the CV1 at rather high-ish settings (almost the same I do run now, actually!), but if I dared to join any of those heavily scripted multiplayer servers or run a mission like Through the Inferno on my rig (or even do that on a second one and join the empty local server!), I was looking at single digit framerates even in pancake with the graphics completely lowered to the floor. I could imagine that a decent multi-threading engine could prevent exactly that from happening. One core does the visual stuff, the next one the audio, the third one takes the FM routines, another one the AI stuff, again another one runs the radar and other avionics simulations etc and there you'll have a boost as soon as your single core wouldn't be powerful enough anymore to run all of that at the same time. So my guess is that anyone with a totally cranked Alder Lake would not see as much of an improvement as someone with an lower tier Older Lake or even just a Bridge would rainbowdashwink.png

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 10:15 PM, Gianky said:

Whereas for me (on my old system) I barely noticed any change with Vulkan's introduction to X-Plane (as a VR user).

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

1 hour ago, wilbur81 said:

Nonsense. No other high fidelity modern military aviation sim comes close to the look of DCS. 

Well considering this is the only high fidelity modern military aviation sim, there’s no competition. Compared to other current games and flight sims (one in particular) DCS is badly in need of a refresh. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well considering this is the only high fidelity modern military aviation sim, there’s no competition. Compared to other current games and flight sims (one in particular) DCS is badly in need of a refresh. 

I think MS Flight 20 looks gorgeous, quite a bit better than DCS in MANY ways, but I wouldn't consider it high fidelity... I've no interest in making DCS look better (when it already looks beautiful) at the cost of performance in this pre-Vulkan, $3000 GPU market. DCS is so complex, it is one giant compromise. 

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Looking Dated???  WUT???

LOL

I think what you're seeing is a lack of "special effects".  Well..  those are "special" because they don't actually exist and are created for visual "effect".

The graphics in DCS as far as being photo-realistic are pretty well top notch friend.  Maybe the ground isn't when you're close to it but get to a few throusand feet and it looks great.  Just like that other sim you're probably talking about...  Get close to the ground in that one and it's looks "ok" but is clearly "not quite right".

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

49 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

The graphics in DCS as far as being photo-realistic are pretty well top notch friend

It’s really not. You should see what other games look like now in 2022, not 2002. 

2 hours ago, wilbur81 said:

I've no interest in making DCS look better (when it already looks beautiful) at the cost of performance

Well I would rather see DCS look better than perform better (or maybe a bit better). It’s no use getting 120fps from a game that looks so many years old. The sim has a lot of catching up to do in this regard. 

24 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s really not.

Is too.

Maybe go get a better computer or something...

Yeah..  super gross...

Oh wait my bad you're RIGHT...  It looks basically EXACTLY like this random 2002 simulator...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ  <--  Just linked because we can't post other sims here....

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

14 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

Maybe go get a better computer or something...

I can run DCS on max setting in 4K. It looks nice but it’s not state of the art. I’m not a graphics expert but a few things that seem off to me are shading, I don’t think DCS does light sources at all, just uses textures. Colors are not very accurate or deep. Specifically DCS doesn’t use HDR like every current game does now. You see a mix of very nice things like the animated ground crew on the Supercarrier next to AI aircraft models that look 20 years old. The physics of AI aircraft also looks 20 years old especially when interacting with the ground. Sky colors are way off.

DCS is no doubt a beautiful game. But it could be better. Again I’m sure the point of adopting Vulkan and multi-core is in fact being done to make the game better. Not just run faster. 

• Like 2