Hornet - JDAM incorrect model fuse

Swift.

On all versions of JDAM there is an M904 mechanical fuse being shown.

Spoiler

DCS, M904
image.png

This fuse is not allowed to be loaded onto JDAMs IRL, and instead you will most often see a nose plug installed instead. (Needs confirmation, but it looks like Navy prefer the MXU-735 nose plug and air force the short cone shaped one)

Spoiler

Navy, MXU-735

gbu-38_041106-n-8704k-003.jpg

USAF, Squashed cone shape

message-editor%2F1496252931015-140827-f-

The solution to this issue is very simple, now that the DrawArg line has been revealed for the aircraft luas. Simple add DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}} to the Navy jets, and DrawArgs = {{56, 0.4}} for the USAF jets.

image.png

• Like 5

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

8 minutes ago, Foka said:

Hi, great tip, but which file and in which folder?

The aircraft luas. For example FA-18C.lua in CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C.

The caveat is the rack mounted weapons, they don't respond the same way. Perhaps there is something to be done in the AircraftWeaponPack, idk.

Of course, the easy alternative to this is to reanimate the models so the proper model is at arg value 0, but its been years and ED havent done that so there must be a reason why they aren't.

I found out that in addition to that you can add {57, 1.0} argument to make bombs "navy version" - grey and with coating.

It works also on laser guided bombs and dumb bombs.

Do you know how to make it work on BRU-55 with two bombs? I can't make it work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

The aircraft luas. For example FA-18C.lua in CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C.

The caveat is the rack mounted weapons, they don't respond the same way. Perhaps there is something to be done in the AircraftWeaponPack, idk.

Of course, the easy alternative to this is to reanimate the models so the proper model is at arg value 0, but its been years and ED havent done that so there must be a reason why they aren't.

Do you think it could work using a livery description file?

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Hornet - JDAM incorrect model fuse
  • ED Team

I have reported to the team, they will take a look

thanks

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, Swiftwin9s said:

On all versions of JDAM there is an M904 mechanical fuse being shown.

Reveal hidden contents

DCS, M904
image.png

This fuse is not allowed to be loaded onto JDAMs IRL, and instead you will most often see a nose plug installed instead. (Needs confirmation, but it looks like Navy prefer the MXU-735 nose plug and air force the short cone shaped one)

Reveal hidden contents

Navy, MXU-735

gbu-38_041106-n-8704k-003.jpg

USAF, Squashed cone shape

message-editor%2F1496252931015-140827-f-

The solution to this issue is very simple, now that the DrawArg line has been revealed for the aircraft luas. Simple add DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}} to the Navy jets, and DrawArgs = {{56, 0.4}} for the USAF jets.

image.png

Hi Swiftwin9s,

Sorry to bother you with this but i added the line to the .lua file of the Hornet but no joy. Could you please guide me? (i used notepad++).

I will try to do a Ovgme ready for the F-18C.lua so i can enable/disable it before a DCS update.

Thank you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

59 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Hi Swiftwin9s,

Sorry to bother you with this but i added the line to the .lua file of the Hornet but no joy. Could you please guide me? (i used notepad++).

I will try to do a Ovgme ready for the F-18C.lua so i can enable/disable it before a DCS update.

Thank you.

The thing I posted is only part of the line.

It's more like:

{ CLSID = "{GBU-31}", DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}}, other stuff about DX I can't remember},

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

The thing I posted is only part of the line.

It's more like:

{ CLSID = "{GBU-31}", DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}}, other stuff about DX I can't remember},

Yes, i added that to the line and look like this:

{ CLSID = "{GBU-38}", DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}},   Cx_gain = 0.268    },        -- GBU-38

But didn´t changed anything that´s why i asked for your help. Leave it, i don´t want to bother your with this. I will wai to see if ED correct the Jdam´s.

Thank you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

2 hours ago, fagulha said:

Yes, i added that to the line and look like this:

{ CLSID = "{GBU-38}", DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}},   Cx_gain = 0.268    },        -- GBU-38

But didn´t changed anything that´s why i asked for your help. Leave it, i don´t want to bother your with this. I will wai to see if ED correct the Jdam´s.

Thank you.

I assume you are checking that against the single GBU-38, not the BRU-55 ones?

7 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

I assume you are checking that against the single GBU-38, not the BRU-55 ones?

Single GBU-38 yes.

It looks like the same can be applied to the dumb Mk80s as well. If you can find the CLSID for the Mk82/3/4. They're often unmarked in the lua depending on module.

For the gray coating, Model Viewer is showing argument 57=0.2. 0.1 gives the pre-2000s green ablative coating.

How do you add multiple args? I separated with commas and made sure the {} closed properly, but it just breaks my module and changes it to an A-10.

Edited by Nealius

@fagulha notice, yo have to make  changes in three places in the file. There are 3 "trees" for innerbord racks, outerbord and centerline. 

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

It looks like the same can be applied to the dumb Mk80s as well. If you can find the CLSID for the Mk82/3/4. They're often unmarked in the lua depending on module.

For the gray coating, Model Viewer is showing argument 57=0.2. 0.1 gives the pre-2000s green ablative coating.

How do you add multiple args? I separated with commas and made sure the {} closed properly, but it just breaks my module and changes it to an A-10.

Same with LGBU. 

It should be something like that: DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}, {57, 1.0}}, 

@Foka noted that thank you. Going to fiddling again with the .lua file.

3 hours ago, Foka said:

It should be something like that: DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5}, {57, 1.0}},

I tried that and my Hornet became a Warthog with AMRAAMS 🤣

On an unrelated note, anyone know where the texture files for the nose attachments are? I'd like to change the "navy" plug to gray instead of green.

Edited by Nealius

I managed to make it work thank you all for your help.

I created a OVgme ready file so i can enable/disable it before an DCS update. Did the same for the USAF versions for the Viper. It was something that was bothering me too although i don´t know the ED feedback.

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

Can you copy-paste a CLIS example line for the GBU-32?

Sure

{ CLSID = "{GBU_32_V_2B}",    DrawArgs = {{56, 0.5},{57, 1.0}},}, -- USN GBU-32 (Mk-83 warhead)

And I think there's a bug in -32, because it doesn't have drag cooficient added. Looks like -32 doesn't add drag to the plane. For example for GBU-12 it looks like this:

{ CLSID = "{DB769D48-67D7-42ED-A2BE-108D566C8B1E}", DrawArgs = {{57, 1.0}}, Cx_gain = 0.996 }, -- GBU-12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It also seems like the OvGME method is not reliable, as changes to the luas occasionally happen after updates. My lua for the Hornet, which worked previously, now shows an untextured Su-27. My Harrier lua, which also worked previously, now CTD's the game. Luas for the Viper and Hog still work fine. It looks like the safest bet is to manually edit the luas after each DCS update.

It also seems like the OvGME method is not reliable, as changes to the luas occasionally happen after updates. My lua for the Hornet, which worked previously, now shows an untextured Su-27. My Harrier lua, which also worked previously, now CTD's the game. Luas for the Viper and Hog still work fine. It looks like the safest bet is to manually edit the luas after each DCS update.
That's true for every mod. I go through all the files I have mods for, after every update, and see if they were modified. If yes, I adjust my modded files accordingly. It's the only way to guarantee that you won't run into any problems.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro