3D model fixes and other issues.

catchforusthefoxes

I'm sure the team is busy and I'm sure some things have taken more than a year to address but I'm just wondering if the 3D model inaccuracies and incompletions will be addressed some day?

Also, taking a look at the model I've noticed that the dorsal fin may have some sizing inaccuracies. It is thinner and less prominent than the real fins and not as wide or tall as true to life dorsal fins for the currently existing P-47 are, I notice that the sides of real dorsal fins have an almost curved slope and cover a greater area on the empennage unlike the dorsal fin we have at the moment which just sticks straight up and connects from one point to another.

True to life fins:

180814-F-IO108-014.jpg

crop3.jpg

crop2.jpg

crop1.jpg

tumblr_inline_ol54noHHJG1t9qtgy_1280.jpg

DCS: Much smaller with nearly no slope or curve

crop4.png

crop5.png

Edited by catchforusthefoxes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the dorsal fin was added because the cut down rear fuselage to accommodate the bubble canopy led to a decrease in low speed directional stability. A reduced keel effect. At some point it was added OEM from the factory, mod kits were also produced so squadrons could retrofit earlier aircraft. A similar device was fitted to some P51s. 

Like clipped wings on later Spitfires it seems to have been personal choice if pilots preferred the effect or not, the fin was fairly easily removed/fitted. There are pics of P47s with different shapes/profiles of fin also suggesting pilots experimented with different types, squadrons maybe making their own. I’d imagine what helped less experienced pilots in the landing pattern wouldn’t necessarily impress veterans wanting that extra manoeuvrability in a dogfight. 

Edited by Mogster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...