Fill the back seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input. I don't use mods though, but maybe I should give it more consideration.

I think in the near term, I should move this to a wish list thread, because the feature request could really help anyone interested in adding mission content to build scenarios that new players might find fun.

It would be nice to see people with a talent for making missions do more with the two free aircraft as a way to attract new players. Given that the Mustang trainer has no weapons, being able to fill its seats would help mission builders create recon/fly-important-people-around type missions for new players that haven't bought any modules yet. People are always clamoring for more free assets to be added to the base game, but I think ED could also do a better job of utilizing the assets that are already there.

The Mustang trainer has no rear-seat controls, or animated crew. I get the fact that ED used this bird (likely modeled after one of the fighter collection's real planes) as a starting point, but maybe its time to revisit the project with an update. It is after all one of the most beautiful and iconic WWII legends ever created.   

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1

It started as an additional version of P-51D Mustang afaik.

The 2 free aircraft are no longer the entry trial since you can now test every module for 2 whole weeks for free and there is a lot of user made content.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think trial is the key word there, as in, it isn't always available.

The TF-51D is a permanent feature included with every single download of DCS World, so a new player downloading it today shouldn't have to wait for the next free trial to start. And I agree, there is a lot of user made content, but my point was that having the ability to add an animated figure in the rear seat like you can for other planes would be an improvement over the current state of things for mission builders.

I haven't been here as long as you, but it does look like the TF version in DCS is just a P-51 that had its gun sight and center tank ripped out. It would have been nice had they modeled an actual trainer with rear controls. I still enjoy taking the TF-51D out for endurance runs, but again external tanks is just another feature missing on the DCS version.

You're free to wish for it of course, I just don't think it is feasible and the popularity of this aircraft is really low, especially when we have P-51D module availble.

You also might not have fully understood the current trial rules. You no longer have to wait for the event like it was during recent years. 2 weeks per module is more than enough to decide if you like it.

Try out each and everyone of our products for 14 days per product during a six month period. You can play each module sequentially or any number of them at a time. The choice is yours!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

I don't believe many mission designers would jump into building missions for this free rarely used asset.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I never actually used the free trial, but that is good to know. If you have a look in the user files though, you will see that the TF-51D is included in a lot of the content. I think that's a good thing. The P-51D was the first plane I bought, and I still fly the trainer regularly. But then I also really enjoy flying the Yak and CEII.

• Like 2