nvidia control panel changes

i noticed that when i updated my drivers to 511.23, there were some settings differences. some replaced and some added. i went through @Spudknocker video settings video, and even some shown were different. i went through my specific DCS settings and made the changes to match what i could. here are screen shots in case it helps anyone. clear skies and good luck!

GLOBAL SETTINGS

image.png

DCS SETTINGS

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 1/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, silverdevil said:

i noticed that when i updated my drivers to 511.23, there were some settings differences. some replaced and some added. i went through @Spudknocker video settings video, and even some shown were different. i went through my specific DCS settings and made the changes to match what i could. here are screen shots in case it helps anyone. clear skies and good luck!

Just a heads up regarding some of those settings... 

Power Management Mode:  I'd recommend against "Maximum Performance", especially if with a very hot power hungry Nvidia GPU model (1080Ti, 2080Ti, 3080/Ti/3090, etc).
"Optimal Performance" is the prefered/recommended option (and why is set by default) for graphics intensive games, which as of today includes DCS World.
What the "Maximum Performance" does is making your GPU force/increase a higher power state (as to not downclock as often). Something that is only welcome for games that are very old and/or really CPU limited (with the GPU very underutilized), when a few stutters and drops happen for that reason, not being demanding enough for the graphics card to be in the highest power state (just on the threshold of 60 fps in the lower states). It was the case before DCS adopted EDGE graphics engine (prior to 2015, when that setting made sense for it) but not anymore or since.

AA Gamma Correction at "OFF", Texture Filtering Quality at "Performance" and Negative Lod Bias at "Clamp", are of negligible effect (if any, at all) in performance for DCS, likely at detrimental cost of image quality. I'd say better leave those at default settings, though of course that is open to personal preference.

This is a really, really old guide but one that users here may find worth reading, as most explanations there still apply today (if biased towards personal opinion of the author), even though the GPUs are way(!!) more potent today if compared to those at the time it was written:  https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/NVFORCE_5.html

Edited by LucShep
added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

4 hours ago, nachomaga said:

silverdevil, do you know this settings works in VR? Thanks for sharing, btw 🙂

the video producer does not use VR. nor do i. however some people have replied to me saying that it helps in VR too. take note of your current settings before changes.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 1/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, Double Dutch said:

You are a HERO!!!

I did this and went from 50-55 fps to 80+

None of the above mentioned options has the potential to give you that much fps gain - unless you had something set way off in the first place.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

24 minutes ago, LucShep said:

Just a heads up regarding some of those settings... 

Power Management Mode:  I'd actually recommend against "Maximum Performance" if you have a very hot power hungry Nvidia GPU model (1080Ti, 2080Ti, 3080/Ti/3090, etc).
"Optimal Performance" is the prefered/recommended option (and why is set by default) for graphics intensive games, which as of today includes DCS World.
What the "Maximum Performance" does is making your GPU force/increase a higher power state (as to not downclock as often). Something that is only welcome for games that are very old and/or really CPU limited (with the GPU very underutilized), when a few stutters and drops happen for that reason, because they aren't demanding enough for the graphics card to be in the highest power state (just on the threshold of 60 fps in the lower states). It was the case before DCS adopted EDGE graphics engine (prior to 2015, when that setting made sense for it) but it's not the case for DCS anymore.

AA Gamma Correction at "OFF", Texture Filtering Quality at "Performance" and Negative Lod Bias at "Clamp", are of negligible effect (if any, at all) in performance for DCS, likely at detrimental cost of image quality. I'd say better leave those at default settings, though of course that is open to personal preference.

This is a really, really old guide but one that users here may find worth reading, as most explanations there still apply today (if biased towards personal opinion of the author), even though the GPUs are way(!!) more potent today than at the time it was written:  https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/NVFORCE_5.html

There is no Optimal Performance anymore. Normal or Max Performance. Jury is out for me but on my old 1080 setting this and anything other than max chopped the fps in Normandy (for instance) almost in half. I will try Normal for my 3080 though. Thank you. 

Of the other settings I do find AA Gamma Coorection -off helps reducing shimmering. The others - ive always set them as per the OP but have never observed any positive or detremental effect. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

9 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

There is no Optimal Performance anymore. Normal or Max Performance. Jury is out for me but on my old 1080 setting this and anything other than max chopped the fps in Normandy (for instance) almost in half. I will try Normal for my 3080 though. Thank you. 

On Nvidia's control panel yes - I stand corrected.

I use Nvidia Profile Inspector (latest version) - there it still shows as before (see image below).

Image2.jpg

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, Minsky said:

the truth is out there 🤣

Screenshot - Tue 01 Feb 22 , 19_40_34.png

(511.23)

interesting. i too have 511.23 driver and i do not have adaptive as a selection. though the "typical usage scenarios:" mentions it.

image.png

53 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

Yep, that's how it is for a 30 series GPU.

If you use NVPInspector, it seems to open more options hidden/unlocked, including the power management options.

Still an extremely useful tool for many other things, for example, for older DX9 games to ensure propper SSAA (impossible with default NV control panel) and even implementation of SSAO settings. 🙂

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector

Image3.jpg

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Hiob said:

None of the above mentioned options has the potential to give you that much fps gain - unless you had something set way off in the first place.

I just copied his settings, don’t know what did it, just enjoy it. Also added a shader, now it’s faster and looks better. I am happy!

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

11 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

I just copied his settings, don’t know what did it, just enjoy it. Also added a shader, now it’s faster and looks better. I am happy!

Nothing else matters (™)! 👍

You probably corrected some hickup whilst doing so. Perhaps you had set some strong AA in the past and forgot about it.... anyway - see first sentence! 🤗

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Nothing else matters (™)! 👍

You probably corrected some hickup whilst doing so. Perhaps you had set some strong AA in the past and forgot about it.... anyway - see first sentence! 🤗

.....or had "optimal power" selected 🙂

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

13 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

.....or had "optimal power" selected 🙂

Must be someone from the future with an RTX7090 then. 🙂

• Like 1

Spoiler

5 hours ago, LucShep said:

Must be someone from the future with an RTX7090 then. 🙂

I was yanking your chain of course but I did find some old notes frap logs from when I got my 1080 (comparing it to my previous 1060).  In the Normandy free flight with an A10 running up towads Pegasus Bridge  ( this is back in mid  2018)  with the power whatever the default would be 45 fps. With the option set to prefer max performance 72 fps. I changed nothing else. 

I dony know what the default power setting was for the older cards or if other settings such as optimal would have has a similar effect but that was my experience at the time.  Curiously only the Normandy map showed this. Great battles, clod and even flights in the Causcauses all ran fine. I only noticed I hadnt altered the power setting when Normandy bombed. 

At present I cant fly but I can be a apssenger to the inevitable keyboard controlled impact with the ground/ or use F2 view.  I see no disadvantage so far in using the "normal" setting (my 3080 is pushing only a 1080P screen and is usually vsync hobbled in any case) but this has only really been on a few free flights. I might go for an immortal spin over a SAM infested Damascus later......

3 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I was yanking your chain of course but I did find some old notes frap logs from when I got my 1080 (comparing it to my previous 1060).  In the Normandy free flight with an A10 running up towads Pegasus Bridge  ( this is back in mid  2018)  with the power whatever the default would be 45 fps. With the option set to prefer max performance 72 fps. I changed nothing else. 

I dony know what the default power setting was for the older cards or if other settings such as optimal would have has a similar effect but that was my experience at the time.  Curiously only the Normandy map showed this. Great battles, clod and even flights in the Causcauses all ran fine. I only noticed I hadnt altered the power setting when Normandy bombed. 

At present I cant fly but I can be a apssenger to the inevitable keyboard controlled impact with the ground/ or use F2 view.  I see no disadvantage so far in using the "normal" setting (my 3080 is pushing only a 1080P screen and is usually vsync hobbled in any case) but this has only really been on a few free flights. I might go for an immortal spin over a SAM infested Damascus later......

I'm just describing here what it does to anyone not knowing what it does, before he/she decides to go for it because someone in the internet tells him to try it (check the dozens of youtube videos on really dubious, if not harmful "you got to do this on your Nvidia/AMD GPU!!11oneoneone" with kids following it blindly).

"Nvidia GPUs are supposedly designed to operate reliably up to their maximum specified operating temperature. This maximum temperature varies by GPU.
If a GPU hits the maximum temperature, the driver will throttle down performance, in an attempt to bring temperature back underneath the maximum specification.
If the GPU temperature continues to increase despite the performance throttling, the GPU may shutdown the system to prevent damage to the graphics card."

This is a possible scenario with "Maximum Performance" powerplan inappropriately set for graphically demanding games - the option was specifically made for games where the GPU is "bored", when it's not ramping up clocks.
What it does in GPU heavy games then is "pin it to the max" for components that don't really require it if pushed quite high already with the optimized (safe) default setting, like a combustion engine pushed at constant maximum revs for indefinite.
An added downside is potentially creating performance breaks and flutuation (on core and mem clocks) while the background process (on the driver) tries to save the GPU from overheating (because of the constant tall voltages of highest power plan, being enforced) when reaching a designed threshold.

With current DX11 engine using deferred rendering, DCS is a sim/game that does not require this "trick" setting - and being so unoptimized it can (and will) saturate even the biggest and fastest GPUs on the market - so why in heavens would anyone want to provoque this I don't know. (coming from someone who worked with gaming systems and repairs for years)
But by all means.... you do you, man.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I kept mine on "prefer maximum performance" for years, both with my previous and current GPUs. Then something happened last year, and it started to heat up dramatically while playing DCS. Other equally demanding games (2020, xp, v5 etc.) played just as smooth as before.

I had to underclock my GPU and set a frame limiter to keep the temps in mid-80s, and the fans from spinning at constant 100% RPM, just to play DCS.

Never though it could be related to the power management mode, as, I repeat, it worked fine for many years.

Then I saw Luke's post and though, "what the hell?" Went and changed it to "Adaptive", and guess what? No more overheating, no more fans going crazy in DCS, and I was able to bring the GPU freqs back to their original values. With no noticeable performance hit whatsoever*

So yeah, glad he posted that.

*EDIT: I should clarify that my FPS are capped at 60, so there could still be a decrease from, let's say, 90 to 70 fps that I simply don't see (and don't care about).

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

10 minutes ago, LucShep said:

But by all means.... you do you, man.

No, honestly, Ill happily go along with this. And Ill confess to being an "if it aint broke" sorta bloke since being told to use that settng in 2014 when I came back to simming.

And thank you for the explanations.