Must calibrate Mavericks every time?

Sparc

As far as I understand :

1. The boresight is not required in any mode to be operational

2. The boresight is highly recommended in PRE mode when the TGP is AUTO and you want to handoff to the WPN page

The handoff improve accuracy and shorten the time to achieve a tracking

• Like 2

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

Yep. Bore sighting is completely optional. You only need to do it when using the t-pod for target acquisition and hand-off. You can still use the maverick itself for acquisition if desired, however I think it’s a bit more difficult and tends to put you lower into the enemy’s WEZ.

I too like to fly missions like the OP. However, the bore sighting is tedious. Hence, I rarely take mavericks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

3 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

I too like to fly missions like the OP. However, the bore sighting is tedious. Hence, I rarely take mavericks.

Yea. Came from the Hornet and was sooo happy about the multi-maverick loadouts of the viper. And then I discovered boresighting...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, idenwen said:

Yea. Came from the Hornet and was sooo happy about the multi-maverick loadouts of the viper. And then I discovered boresighting...

Just do it on the ground while the INS is doing it’s thing. It’s hardly that big of a deal. You don’t even have to get it right, last time I checked it just worked no matter if you even intentionally locked different objects while doing it. And you only need to do one maverick on each pylon.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

1 hour ago, idenwen said:

To be fair, every other aircraft that perfectly slaves the Maverick LOS to a SPI should need to be boresighted too. It's just the Viper is modeled in higher fidelity in that regard.

Edited by Crptalk
  • Like 7

To be fair, every other aircraft that perfectly slaves the Maverick LOS to a SPI should need to be boresighted too. It's just the Viper is modeled in higher fidelity in that regard.

Really? I find that hard to imagine that ED implements boresighting on the Viper but not the Hornet. Also the Warthog. Man, if that’s the case they should fix that then.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

4 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

Really? I find that hard to imagine that ED implements boresighting on the Viper but not the Hornet. Also the Warthog. Man, if that’s the case they should fix that then.

Yes Really, And the reason is because they don't have good publicly available information source on how the process is done on the other aircraft, where as with the F-16 the process is pretty well known and public.

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

If you don't care about RL procedures and want to boresight mavericks quickly without using TGP, just lock any target in either BORE or VIS mode and hit BSGT. Maverick will boresight magically to all the sensors, including TGP.

• Thanks 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

I don't think the info for the Hornet is any harder to find than for the Viper, it's just that people come to the Viper from a certain other sim (which does have boresighting) and they complained about that. 🙂 It's more or less the same in every aircraft (so Razbam's Harrier and F-15E should have to do that, too), you lock an object with your sensor of choice (usually the TGP, though you can boresight to radar or the HUD IRL, and it's not always the same thing), you lock it with a Maverick, then press a button to tell the missile it's looking at the same thing as TGP is. Of course, you only need to do it if you're planning on using one of the modes that allow you to bypass fiddling about with the Maverick video.

Edited by Dragon1-1

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think the info for the Hornet is any harder to find than for the Viper, it's just that people come to the Viper from a certain other sim (which does have boresighting) and they complained about that.  It's more or less the same in every aircraft (so Razbam's Harrier and F-15E should have to do that, too), you lock an object with your sensor of choice (usually the TGP, though you can boresight to radar or the HUD IRL, and it's not always the same thing), you lock it with a Maverick, then press a button to tell the missile it's looking at the same thing as TGP is. Of course, you only need to do it if you're planning on using one of the modes that allow you to bypass fiddling about with the Maverick video.
Remember that the Hornet's weapons manuals are all classified. Only one has been leaked. For what it's worth the TAC-300 says nothing about boresighting the MAVF but does detail things like HARM TOO Range Known/UNK.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:14 AM, Marklar said:

If you don't care about RL procedures and want to boresight mavericks quickly without using TGP, just lock any target in either BORE or VIS mode and hit BSGT. Maverick will boresight magically to all the sensors, including TGP.

Hi

Do I understand this correctly:

using MAV video, lock onto a target, click the BSGT MFD button and done?

Then in future if pointing TGP and handing-off to maverick it will be aligned correctly? 

(I will test this also next time ....)

Edited by warford

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

4 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Remember that the Hornet's weapons manuals are all classified

While off topic, they aren't. Like most platforms in the Navy, the Hornet also has a classified NATIP and an unclassified NATIP. Plus, there's the Graybook, the Legacy Hornet avionics manual from Boeing, which also details combat avionics and symbology. The unclassified NATIP for the Hornet is the same thing legally as the unclassified -34 for the Viper. An unclassified, export controlled, CUI manual, which, while isn't classified (and wouldn't cause serious damage to national security was it leaked), it's still not meant for public dissemination or export.

35 minutes ago, warford said:

using MAV video, lock onto a target, click the BSGT MFD button and done?

Yes, this workaround definitely works. The other procedure is that you can boresight on the ground as well and the issues associated with that aren't simulated either. The very simple, magical instant boresight will likely get fixed one day, but I'd suspect that boresighting on the ground will never become a problem in any way.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, Marklar said:

lmao

thanks for the wisdom

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580