What to buy?

I just got into DCS about a month ago and I'm getting ready to buy a module or three. Leaning towards FC3, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf Map and/or the Mi-8MTV2. I've read that it's better to be proficient on one plane/heli and go from there. As opposed to buying a whole bunch of aircraft. Any advice on what I should get, or any input on the above mentioned modules? BTW, this game is incredible!!!!

You can use the 2 week free trial period to check all of these before you purchase. I think it can be activated in your digitalcombatsimulator.com account.

FC3 aircraft don't have clickable cockpits, and their systems are a fair bit simplified. The (always free) Su-25T is FC3-level. All other DCS aircraft do have clickable cockpits, and they have a much deeper systems modeling. The TF-51D (also free) is a showcase for clickable cockpits and in-depth systems modeling.

Ultimately, just pick the aircraft that you're most interested in! The Mi-8 is a great choice. 👍

As for Combined Arms, I love it! Its strong suit is multiplayer. It does offer some pretty cool options in singleplayer as well, but using CA to work as a JTAC with human pilots, or advancing ground forces in a much more dynamic way than the AI would on its own, that's where it really shines.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

Hello!

Before you will make your purchase, I would suggest trial periods for modules that you find interesting - it is a great deal and helps you make an educated choice. 🙂 As for FC3 modules, I would highly recommend checking out them in contrast to high fidelity ones. For me, high fidelity modules were easier to learn. Sure, much more complicated. But I am better with remembering switches, procedures and cockpit layouts than keybinds. So check what you find easier to both study and enjoy. As for mastering one plane and then moving on - yes, for a start I think that can be easier. Later on the differences will be less pronounced for you, even if your planes will differ vastly in parameters and role. But truth be told, you can fly a bunch of planes and still be good with them. Again, for me it was easier to rotate 2-3 modules, learn differences between their handling and operation. Depends on person, I guess. Luckily, you can try all approaches and take the best one for you. 🙂

Tip: take-off, navigation, landing - rain, shine or dead of night. Weapons can wait. 😉 

Edited by Fairey Gannet

32 minutes ago, Fairey Gannet said:

Hello!

Before you will make your purchase, I would suggest trial periods for modules that you find interesting - it is a great deal and helps you make an educated choice. 🙂 As for FC3 modules, I would highly recommend checking out them in contrast to high fidelity ones. For me, high fidelity modules were easier to learn.

One thing about FC3 is that the commands are pretty standard between the modules so learning one goes a long way to learning the rest.  Obviously, with some differences.

• Thanks 1

Another thing about the FC3 bundle (since buying separate FC3 aircraft is a massive waste) is that many of them are used by community mods. And you will be getting into those as you wait for the next module to arrive. Mi-8 is a great choice for learning from scratch since it seems to be the most user-friendly chopper (Mi-24 can be unpredictable on hover, Huey is also fine but seems more twitchy, Ka-50 is easy once you learn how the systems work but too unique for acquired skills to carry over to anything). As for the planes... Tomcat. It's hard, it's fast, it's competitive even against planes two decades younger, it has a helpful crew AI that takes over some boring duties, and most importantly, it will help you develop The Right Stuff© which you will appreciate once the whole JSOW programming process in more modern modules becomes somewhat stale...

Skip FC3 (for now), I found those to be harder than the full fidelity modules. They are a lot of fun but require you to remember many key binds.

With the clickable cockpit there are way fewer binds to remember.

I got FC3, then I got the Hornet, the hornet was much easier for me to learn.

my $0.02 anyway.

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

I am in a similar dilemma; at the moment it seems a bit too expensive top models until I master all the charms of the DCS world, so I think maybe the MiG-21 or Mirage 2000, as some serious start.

Asus m/b * i7 3770 * 16GB RAM * nVidia Dual GTX 1660Ti 6GB DDR6* 2x 27" LG * T.16000M HOTAS * Logitech MX
Maybe it's better to ask for forgiveness sometimes than for permission ...

I'd watch some tutorial videos before buying any full fidelity modules. Then you can see what suits your taste. The Grim Reapers module reviews on YouTube are good for this.

Nothing wrong with FC3, especially the A-10A which you can get for almost nothing on sale. You gotta have the BRRRRTTTT! Lots of fun to be had there. But don't overlook the SU-25T that you get for free. It's good fun, fires A2G missiles the size of telephone poles, and has some electro-optical toys and laser guided weapons. 

Hard to go wrong with the F-18. It does everything, it's fun, lots of A2G toys and cool tech-wizard stuff, and you can run it off the free carrier that comes in the game.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

FC3 is a good place to go from the Froggy, but I'd say hold off on CA and maps

CA is kind of a mess rn, and is most useful when doing GCI, which is a completely different thing to actually flying, and on most servers can be done without CA, either via spectators spot, or just the fact that everything is visible. Add LotATC to the mix, and CA is really not a priority.

As for maps, most of the MP servers are still on Caucasus, simply because everyone has it, and it's a good map, with a lot of different terrain. Unless you wanna play on this specific part of the world, i wouldnt recommend it as 1st module.

Mi-8 is a really high quality module. Some users have said it looks a bit dated, which, to be fair, isnt entirely false, but considering it's a few years old now, and there's cockpit mods/ skins to fix it, with well done FM, DM and systems, it's a solid module.
However, it's not amazing at combat, so be prepared for that. You have no guided weapons in your arsenal, which means anything with a radar guided AAA is a challange.

I can also tell you to *not* buy the MiG-21. The FM is a joke rn, with the plane basically never stalling, and retaining lift at speeds as low as 100kt. spend that money elsewhere, and save yourself the disappointment

The M2000 is a solid choice, with well modeled systems and FM, however, it's combat capabilities are limited, as the plane has no fox-3's or self guided A/G, with GBU-12 being the only guided A/G option, which has to be buddy lased. Great interceptor tho, and amazing high alt performance.

As mentioned before, F-16 and F/A-18 are very solid choices, with the 16 having more speed than the 18, but the hornet gets the naval ops, which is great, if you like it.

I'll also second the opinion that you should try whatever module you pick with the 2 week trial, and see if it's really what you want.

I'd personally recommend the following planes on a scale of A/G -> A/A:
A-10C (hard to learn! amazing A/G!. Only AIM-9 for A/A!) -> F/A-18C -> F-16 -> F-15 (very easy to learn, no A/G!)

• Like 1

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I would buy one of the maps (Syria or Gulf) and as for an aircraft ... go with the A-4 Skyhawk.  It is FREE! 

Look into it: it has a Clickable cockpit, most all of the features that you would pay a lot of money for in other aircraft, and is a blast to fly.

After a month or so, then you decide what your second, third & fourth purchases will be.

Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Littlefloor said:

I am in a similar dilemma; at the moment it seems a bit too expensive top models until I master all the charms of the DCS world, so I think maybe the MiG-21 or Mirage 2000, as some serious start.

Hello! 

Mirage 2000C is a fine module, a very fun to fly and to operate. It requires some attention in use, but it is solid early 4th generation plane - easy to use, moderate to master, hard not to fall in love with. If you want something similar, but more modern, I would say go for JF-17. Yes, it is very modern, but I would say it is even easier and more intuitive to learn, even with more capability and weapons to master. I love MiG-21, and that plane will teach you much, but I would not recommend it as a starter. Both planes are good starting options, and with both you will have a blast. 🙂 

• Like 1

Whatever you decide, as a new customer I think you are entiteld to a nice 50% discount on your first purchases too. 

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

10 hours ago, Littlefloor said:

Try out the link i have posted in this topic, it shows a summary for each module and is in my opinion very well described. It is a few months old already, but i think it is still valid. 

As for the modules you mentioned.

1. Mig-21 - i do not own it, but i have read/seen on yt that it is a jet that tries to kill you almost always. The knowledge what to do when something fails is especially vital, so i think it is not a begginer friendly aircraft, but i have heard opinions that once you tame it, it is rewarding as hell. But this is only what i have heared about it.

2. Mirage 2000C - I have it, and have flown it, but not before the recent changes. I have heard it got a lot of love from the developers (there is a changelog on the forum, on the topic dedicated to this, you might want to look at it) as for flight characteristics. Its a delta wing, its very fast and very agile, its an excellent dogfighter (check out GrowlingSidewinders videos on YT about it, he explains a lot how to fight in this thing, and he even has videos of a real Rafale pilot that was sitting in the Mirage and dogfighting him.)

3. In my opinion you can never go wrong with Flaming cliffs 3. Sure, no clickable cockpits, but a lot of aircraft and campaigns, that you can mess around with and get the following things:

- you get a feel about both eastern and western aircraft

- you get the A-10A which will give you a feel how A2G works

- You get the Mig variants with PFM and the F-15C, which are again great indications on eastern/western aircraft characteristics.

-  Because there is no clickable cockpit, you focus on the basics, like takeoff/landing, weapons employment, BFM, BVR and you are not "bothered" by systems management. In my opinion it is a great initial point before advancing to something more complex. Especially if you are just starting with DCS.

4. You can always ask yourself a question: Am i more into A2G or A2A or a mix of both? If you know the answer to that what clicks with you, it will also narrow down further the options which module to choose.

Edited by Mr.Scar
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:01 AM, LennyTheStoicCat said:

I just got into DCS about a month ago and I'm getting ready to buy a module or three. Leaning towards FC3, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf Map and/or the Mi-8MTV2. I've read that it's better to be proficient on one plane/heli and go from there. As opposed to buying a whole bunch of aircraft. Any advice on what I should get, or any input on the above mentioned modules? BTW, this game is incredible!!!!

I recommend Mi-8, Mi-24, MiG-21 or MiG-19P.

2 hours ago, Mr.Scar said:

Try out the link i have posted in this topic, it shows a summary for each module and is in my opinion very well described. It is a few months old already, but i think it is still valid. 

As for the modules you mentioned.

1. Mig-21 - i do not own it, but i have read/seen on yt that it is a jet that tries to kill you almost always. The knowledge what to do when something fails is especially vital, so i think it is not a begginer friendly aircraft, but i have heard opinions that once you tame it, it is rewarding as hell. But this is only what i have heared about it.

2. Mirage 2000C - I have it, and have flown it, but not before the recent changes. I have heard it got a lot of love from the developers (there is a changelog on the forum, on the topic dedicated to this, you might want to look at it) as for flight characteristics. Its a delta wing, its very fast and very agile, its an excellent dogfighter (check out GrowlingSidewinders videos on YT about it, he explains a lot how to fight in this thing, and he even has videos of a real Rafale pilot that was sitting in the Mirage and dogfighting him.)

3. In my opinion you can never go wrong with Flaming cliffs 3. Sure, no clickable cockpits, but a lot of aircraft and campaigns, that you can mess around with and get the following things...

Honestly, my experience with flight simulations dates back to the (then) legendary Atari 1040STFM, where I spent months and months playing the Panavia Tornado and F-16 Combat Pilot, and later, on PC, Jane’s USAF. Of course, the models and philosophy of DCS and the mentioned games are very different, but I guess I'm not completely "rusty".
After taking over the "vanilla" DCS, I tried to do some training only with the help of a keyboard and a mouse, and of course, it was a desperate move for the crying god. These days I am reading reviews of various flight sticks because my budget does not allow me to purchase top models, and I am hesitant between Thrustmaster Hotas X and 16000, I will probably opt for the latter. Warthog is beyond my capabilities. By the way, in my country, the choice of similar equipment is very scarce, few people want to separate themselves from shooting games in which everything is solved with a mouse and keyboard. 😑 After that I plan to practice a bit with the Su-25T and then get the first serious jet, and your suggestions will surely help me make the right choice and enjoy the DCS at least half as much as you do. Thank you.

• Like 1

Asus m/b * i7 3770 * 16GB RAM * nVidia Dual GTX 1660Ti 6GB DDR6* 2x 27" LG * T.16000M HOTAS * Logitech MX
Maybe it's better to ask for forgiveness sometimes than for permission ...

9 hours ago, Fairey Gannet said:

Hello! 

Mirage 2000C is a fine module, a very fun to fly and to operate. It requires some attention in use, but it is solid early 4th generation plane - easy to use, moderate to master, hard not to fall in love with. If you want something similar, but more modern, I would say go for JF-17. Yes, it is very modern, but I would say it is even easier and more intuitive to learn, even with more capability and weapons to master. I love MiG-21, and that plane will teach you much, but I would not recommend it as a starter. Both planes are good starting options, and with both you will have a blast. 🙂 

I'd agree...but can we trust someone named after an aeroplane that didn't fly - it was so ugly that the ground repelled it?

(It was bloody effective, despite that, and gloriously eccentric in the way only a British invention could be)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

I would choose Syria over PG, it offers more variety and fidelity, but otherwise everything is already said. Have Fun!

Edit: The MI8 is certainly the best choice for learning helicopter. In my personal book it is the best heli atm, period. 🤗

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Blackjack_UK said:

I'd agree...but can we trust someone named after an aeroplane that didn't fly - it was so ugly that the ground repelled it?

(It was bloody effective, despite that, and gloriously eccentric in the way only a British invention could be)

You can, trust me. If I would, say, introduced myself as Hawker Hunter, Supermarine Attacker or good old Spit, you could think, "Ah yes, tasteful bast...", and in post-Greek fashion we connect truth and beauty on cognitive level. See, that would be a horrible deception, as I also would be Gannet - a cry of children. Mothers covering eyes. Icecream falling on sidewalk. Irish passing the bar. "The horror! The horror!"

Back to the topic, regarding HOTAS this time - I myself used T.One for a long time, and it is viable to fly planes like Viggen, Mirage of Jeff with it. You will be light on buttons, but there are ways around it. I am thinking about moving up to T1600 now, but I fly over 3 years now - I think I got my value out of this piece. If you can go for T1600 from the start, by all means, go for it, it good value to quality ratio. I started personally with T-One, because I was reluctant to spend large amount of money up-front. Now I have some experience, so I know what I would like to improve, what functions I use and where I find my HOTAS lacking. Instead of buying more expensive one, I opted to buy cheap rudder pedals, that turned out to be better choice for me. I would say both are good starting kits, though if you want to fly helos, I would strongly suggest buying rudder pedals. They can be even steering wheel ones, if you will buy an adapter - driving helo with twisting grip is not very fun.

• Like 1

Being a former tanker, I like the ground pounding mud movers, so instead of getting a flashy fast air to air missile carrier, I went with the bomb toting Harrier, the A4-E and the F-5 - they fit what I want to do with DCS.

That, I think, is the key to what to buy.  What do YOU want to do in DCS?  Do you want to be a high flying missile slinging fighter joke, duking it out with the other guys for bragging rights?  If so, there are a great number of excellent aircraft for that role.  What time period do you like?  Answer these questions and the rest is easy to figure out.

• Like 3

Short answer: every single gorram one, present and future

Long answer: what do you enjoy most? What are your interests? To break it down further:

What is your favorite mission profile, A2A? A2G? Transportation? Racing? Formation Flying and aerobatics? Making cinematic? Or just simply touring?

Aircraft type? Jet, warbirds and/or helo?

What is your experience in flying? Still learning the ropes? Or ready to challenge some crazy complex systems like the F-16C?

How much time and duration are you willing to spend and afford to learn the aircraft(s)?

Gee, before I forgot. there are a number of free, standalone mods DCS players can have a go (warning: may eventually stick with them). Some may argue they may be lack in the A2A department and most of them are WiP, nonetheless, they are great entry points to discover what one would like before shelling out the hard-earned cash (or not):

• A-4E-C
  • T-45
  • A-29B
  • UH-60L

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VFGiPJP said:

ning: may eventually stick with them). Some may argue they may be lack in the A2A department and most of them are WiP, nonetheless, they are great entry points to discover what one would like before shelling out the hard-earned cash (or not):

• A-4E-C
  • T-45
  • A-29B
  • UH-60L

WOW I didnt know that... are they in the User Files Section on the DCS page? 

Aircrafts: F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-15E, JF-17, F-16C, A-10C II, AH-64D, Black Shark 3,  Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, FW 190-D, Spitfire LF Mk.,  FC3 + some mods 🙂

Maps: Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, Afghanistan

Packages: Supercruiser, Combined Arms, WW2 Asset Pack

System: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x@3.70GHz, 32GB Ram, Sapphire Radeon RX 580, Samsung 870 Evo 1TB SSD, Win10Pro 64 Bit, 2x24" BENQ

Equipment: TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TRP Pedals, Total Control Multi Button Box, TM MFD Cougar, TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro

All the mods I mention can be found in the Mods section of the forum.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/184-dcs-mods/

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.