802-AKG terminal maneuvering not working

Coole28

I’ve had this problem for ~1 year now, before then I had no problems with it. Following the procedure in Chucks guide:

When using the 802AKG in any of the three modes, the missile does not perform any of the terminal maneuvering expected when the missile goes “active” (i.e. when the seeker head turns on and I have manual control of the missile).  Because of this, the seeker head is essentially looking at the horizon when it goes active, making it nigh impossible to acquire my designated target.  Is there a particular setting or system that needs to be turned on in order for the 802AKG to do terminal maneuvers?

I use the full GC alignment and GPS+INS turned on.  Doesn’t matter what mode I use or what terminal settings I have selected, it always does the same thing.  I don’t have any issues using other GPS weapons or the 802AK.  Wondering if something was changed way back when and Chuck’s guide never updated to reflect this.  I can attach a track file if this is a suspected bug, but I’d figure there would be other posts by now if that was the case.

3 hours ago, Coole28 said:

I’ve had this problem for ~1 year now, before then I had no problems with it. Following the procedure in Chucks guide:

When using the 802AKG in any of the three modes, the missile does not perform any of the terminal maneuvering expected when the missile goes “active” (i.e. when the seeker head turns on and I have manual control of the missile).  Because of this, the seeker head is essentially looking at the horizon when it goes active, making it nigh impossible to acquire my designated target.  Is there a particular setting or system that needs to be turned on in order for the 802AKG to do terminal maneuvers?

I use the full GC alignment and GPS+INS turned on.  Doesn’t matter what mode I use or what terminal settings I have selected, it always does the same thing.  I don’t have any issues using other GPS weapons or the 802AK.  Wondering if something was changed way back when and Chuck’s guide never updated to reflect this.  I can attach a track file if this is a suspected bug, but I’d figure there would be other posts by now if that was the case.

Its a MITL missile (Man in the loop) which means you need to carry the datalink pod and that you must guide yourself the missile into the target.

Here a tutorial:

My skins

2 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Its a MITL missile (Man in the loop) which means you need to carry the datalink pod and that you must guide yourself the missile into the target.

Here a tutorial:

I think you missed the problem. 

He's talking about the terminal manouver which pushes the nose down to the target and centres you on your selected point. 

Currently the missile goes live and points at the horizon, so you have to manually slew down and find the target point, which is really not very useful. 

The SLAM & ER noses down for you at 10 miles, but maybe it's a different scheme. 

Edited by Foogle

3 hours ago, Foogle said:

I think you missed the problem. 

He's talking about the terminal manouver which pushes the nose down to the target and centres you on your selected point. 

Currently the missile goes live and points at the horizon, so you have to manually slew down and find the target point, which is really not very useful. 

The SLAM & ER noses down for you at 10 miles, but maybe it's a different scheme. 

Yes, this is what I’m talking about.  Way back when I first flew the Jeff, maybe back in 2020, the 802AKG would point down at the designated target just before it went active, but at some point something changed and now it continues to fly in a horizontal trajectory after I gain control of the missile.  It makes it exceptionally difficult to locate my designated target, even if that target is an entire airfield.  I’m trying to figure out if i’m missing some step that has been added to the procedure, or if this is working as intended.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Coole28 said:

Yes, this is what I’m talking about.  Way back when I first flew the Jeff, maybe back in 2020, the 802AKG would point down at the designated target just before it went active, but at some point something changed and now it continues to fly in a horizontal trajectory after I gain control of the missile.  It makes it exceptionally difficult to locate my designated target, even if that target is an entire airfield.  I’m trying to figure out if i’m missing some step that has been added to the procedure, or if this is working as intended.  

I've tested this missile many times & it can be very clumsy at hitting targets. As far as I remember it has never pitched down on the SPI or co-ordinates, which is very frustrating. It also used to have TV guidance in the terminal phase and was much clearer at seeing a specific target. Now it only has IR view which can be pretty foggy. ( I can't work out how to change the MIL from WHot to BHot).

I love the weapon however, I too wish it would pitch to the target (like the SLAM). I don't know if this is what the missile does in RL or if this is a bug.

34 minutes ago, antiload said:

I've tested this missile many times & it can be very clumsy at hitting targets. As far as I remember it has never pitched down on the SPI or co-ordinates, which is very frustrating. It also used to have TV guidance in the terminal phase and was much clearer at seeing a specific target. Now it only has IR view which can be pretty foggy. ( I can't work out how to change the MIL from WHot to BHot).

I love the weapon however, I too wish it would pitch to the target (like the SLAM). I don't know if this is what the missile does in RL or if this is a bug.

This has definitely changed then, if everyone is experiencing this.  You can watch the old Grim Reapers video on the 802 AKG from 2 years ago which shows the original behavior, where the missile does pitch down towards the target prior to going active.  This is how I remember the missile functioning as well.  Guess this is either intended behavior or a bug.