F/A-18D...why don't we have it yet?

Chewmann

2 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

We don't even really have an F/A-18C yet. But yes, after seeing Jester run that TGP it would be cool in the Hornet. Maybe Heatblure and ED are opening the door to multiple versions of the same aircraft with the F-4. So maybe one day. 

especially once Jester starts griping about all the new-fangled equipment in the back seat XD

7 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

Which manual? What block? How much other data is available for it? Are EM diagrams public? FS2004 isn't even close to the same league of fidelity as DCS. 

NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL PERFORMANCE DATA
NAVY MODEL F/A-18E/F
165533 AND UP AIRCRAFT

block I and early 2 (lot 26)

several other

yes

you might want to look up the VRS superbug

its Pretty similar to our hornet avionics and system wise, it’s just more range and extra pylons are good features for a two seat strike craft while the lighter higher thrust lot 20 C we have is good for a single seat fighter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F-2 said:

its Pretty similar to our hornet avionics and system wise, it’s just more range and extra pylons are good features for a two seat strike craft while the lighter higher thrust lot 20 C we have is good for a single seat fighter.

Neat, so maybe even more verifiable than the Hornet we have. I agree that an early Super bug would make more sense for a two-seat close air support/strike aircraft. I guess the biggest question would be what people buy it. Like you said, our bird is better for air superiority. If the performance status publicly available, and if it's flight model and systems were verified by a third party, then I would probably buy it. Right now I'm a little put off by Ed's 4th gen. There are just too many differing opinions. But yeah if it could be done, and it could be verified that it was done properly, and it had an AI wizo to run the pod. Then yeah I'd buy it. But not if there's a bunch of b******* ass guess work. We've had enough of that.

9 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

Neat, so maybe even more verifiable than the Hornet we have. I agree that an early Super bug would make more sense for a two-seat close air support/strike aircraft. I guess the biggest question would be what people buy it. Like you said, our bird is better for air superiority. If the performance status publicly available, and if it's flight model and systems were verified by a third party, then I would probably buy it. Right now I'm a little put off by Ed's 4th gen. There are just too many differing opinions. But yeah if it could be done, and it could be verified that it was done properly, and it had an AI wizo to run the pod. Then yeah I'd buy it. But not if there's a bunch of b******* ass guess work. We've had enough of that.

I think their actual might be more on the early super hornet the our hornet. Their is a GAO report comparing the two and I know of a navy CDF study of the superbug. One thing that people might appreciate is it apparently has a noticeable reduction in RCS over our hornet. If someone wants to do it, I’m very confident it can be done.

4 hours ago, Cab said:

People say that but then there's the Typhoon that's in development. 🧐

The Typhoon is in development because all the requirements just so happened to lineup for it to come to fruition. Even at that it will be a very early model.

And from my observation it seems like it almost did not happen had it not had been for Heatblur offering to collaborate with Truegrit.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:36 PM, Chewmann said:

Now that we have multi-crews within the game, it makes perfect sense to do so with the Hornet.  Let's get the most popular jet, the F/A-18C, in the 2 seat version.  

Bring on the Deltas!

Multicrew is available for almost 5-6 years with with the L-39 and former Hawk. 😉

• Like 2

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

34 minutes ago, Evoman said:

The Typhoon is in development because all the requirements just so happened to lineup for it to come to fruition. Even at that it will be a very early model.

And from my observation it seems like it almost did not happen had it not had been for Heatblur offering to collaborate with Truegrit.

But it's no less modern than an early Super Hornet. 

Why not just ask for an Advanced Super Hornet, conformal tanks, 3,500lbs of extra fuel, reduced drag, increased range, speed, maneuverability. Enhanced Engines, next generation cockpit, advanced AESA RADAR, internal IRST, and enclosed weapons pod.  Of course it comes in E or F configuration.  Or ask for an EA-18G for ECM/SEAD business............

Go big, or go home :thumbup:

Hoss

Sempre Fortis

8 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Why not just ask for an Advanced Super Hornet, conformal tanks, 3,500lbs of extra fuel, reduced drag, increased range, speed, maneuverability. Enhanced Engines, next generation cockpit, advanced AESA RADAR, internal IRST, and enclosed weapons pod.  Of course it comes in E or F configuration.  Or ask for an EA-18G for ECM/SEAD business............

Go big, or go home :thumbup:

Hoss

Your trolling right? 

Not sure why people think a Super Hornet is necessarily any more modern than the current Hornet. You guys know that Rhinos were in the fleet in the mid 2000s, right? The A-10CII, the Harrier, the JF-17 and even the upcoming Typhoon will all be more modern than such a Rhino would be. Classification and opsec issues aside, the biggest problem with a Rhino (or any additional separate Hornet module) is that it would end up cannibalizing the current Hornet. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

... is that it would end up cannibalizing the current Hornet. 

That's why we need the Deltas.  Same jet (for the most part as the C) but adds the WSO seat.  Make it an expansion to the hornet.  Just an idea.

Not saying a Rhino wouldn't be a good addition, but that can come later. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:25 PM, Cupra said:

Ways too modern...

Not an early Block I, F.

Better 2 Seat Ops,

D for USN is pretty much C w/ Identical Rear cockpit w/ minor changes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

15 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

Your trolling right? 

No, F/A-18E-F's going into overhaul are being updated to Advanced Super Hornets, or Block II to Block III, not all but a good majority. And some are being built from scratch.  I'm retired Navy, and retired Boeing, so I've known about this for awhile, Did you know some of the Super Hornets sent to Australia are wired to become Growlers if the RAAF should decide to convert them? Oh yeah, the first Block III has been delivered to the US Navy already..................     Nope, no Troll, Ogre maybe, but no Troll.

So if you are going to ask for something, ask for the latest iteration of the Hornet. 

From the Boeing web page on the Block III Hornet.....  https://www.boeing.com/defense/fa-18-super-hornet/

Cheers

Hoss the Ogre

Edited by 352nd_Hoss
  • Like 1

Sempre Fortis

As an actual retired airmen it baffles me that you, as a retired seamen, don't understand classified information. And apparently don't understand what DCS is supposed to be about. While there has been some fudging in the last few years, DCS is supposed to feature modules that are declassified enough to simulate all systems and aircraft performance. Look at the ongoing work on the AIM-54 for an example. As retired Navy, and retired Boing you know that many important systems on the jet you ask for are classified. So no way to even get close. ED would have to guess at best and make stuff up at worst. On top of that there would be no way for the community to verify anything. So again you must be trolling right. Or would you have ES abandon every core principal that it founded DCS on to bring a fantasy plan that resembles the on you want to life? 

So in sort he asked for that one because it can be done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, WobblyFlops said:

Not sure why people think a Super Hornet is necessarily any more modern than the current Hornet. You guys know that Rhinos were in the fleet in the mid 2000s, right? The A-10CII, the Harrier, the JF-17 and even the upcoming Typhoon will all be more modern than such a Rhino would be. Classification and opsec issues aside, the biggest problem with a Rhino (or any additional separate Hornet module) is that it would end up cannibalizing the current Hornet. 

That's not really a bad thing. Just offer it at a discount if you already own the current Hornet. As usual Heatblure is already leading the way on this. So no matter what Hornet someone buys they will pay full price once. If there are a lot of systems in common. And the FM is similar then ED can "cannibaliz" the the current Hornet to make it. Gulf war A model, current C model, early Super Bug two seater with a Jester like AI would make a lot a nice line up. There would be something for everyone, and most true Hornet fans would buy all three. Pay base price for one, and get a discount on the other two. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

As an actual retired airmen it baffles me that you, as a retired seamen, don't understand classified information. And apparently don't understand what DCS is supposed to be about. While there has been some fudging in the last few years, DCS is supposed to feature modules that are declassified enough to simulate all systems and aircraft performance. Look at the ongoing work on the AIM-54 for an example. As retired Navy, and retired Boing you know that many important systems on the jet you ask for are classified. So no way to even get close. ED would have to guess at best and make stuff up at worst. On top of that there would be no way for the community to verify anything. So again you must be trolling right. Or would you have ES abandon every core principal that it founded DCS on to bring a fantasy plan that resembles the on you want to life? 

So in sort he asked for that one because it can be done. 

Get your facts straight, I did not ask for it. I held a SECRET clearance for 44 years, I repaired DECM, and COMSEC equipment in the Navy. At the ARF I worked APG-65/73 RADARS. Being lectured on guarding classified information is a non starter. I'm amazed at threads on both systems I read in these forums, I know how it works and DCS doesn't come close to getting it right because they can't. DCS module developers are working from released public documents, and common theory of operation of like systems. And input from SME's. Oh, I was never a "Seamen", and its Seaman, aviation rates are Airman......our rates have wings..... The C/D and E/F Blk II is just as classified as the BLK III. Your argument is moot.

Cheers

Hoss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sempre Fortis