4k and HD multimonitor setup issues

Demiurgo

Hi everyone,

I am not sure whether this is the right place for my issue. Pleas feel free to move it.

I have on 32" 4k display (let's call it display 1) connected to an NVIDIA GPU and a 27" HD display (number 2) connected to my onboard intel iGPU.

Due to the fact that my NVIDIA is not powerful enough I am playing DCS on display 1 (because of size) configured at 1080P and I try to use display 2 for documents, internet, etc.

The issue arises when I open DCS to play. When I do that all programs in display 2 minimize. If I try to "ALT+TAB" to see anything on display 2 then DCS minimizes....it seems I can't see BOTH screens at the same time.

I've tried all combinations of full screen, cursor confinement, etc. the only thing that seems to work is using the game at 4k but FPS are horrible.

I want to be able to use my 4k SCREEN at HD resolution for DCS while I can open software in the secondary screen at the same time.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If I got it right: native resolution of your display 1 is 3840x2160.

I assume that you set the Fullscreen option to true in order to get the game to switch resolution of primary monitor to 1920x1080. This likely triggers your monitor to upscale the input signal, correct?

So far the only way I see that you deal with this is to turn off Fullscreen option. By doing this you will be able to focus on a window on another monitor without DCS minimizing.

However I see the following tradeoffs:

1. Fullscreen disabled might mean some performance degradation. I believe the tool-tip text did not change in at least 10 years. Even back than it was questionable if this was true. Today I do believe that effect would be negligible

2. Since you run in non-Fullscreen mode, this leaves you with game not trying to change monitor resolution, but stays in 3840x2160. From here you have 2 options:

2.1 use 4K resolution while setting "resolution" of game to lower value that your GPU can handle. E.g. you may attempt to get 3840x1080, but with the physical screen surface being limited (you get extra width, but you loose height. In my experience: width is more relevant and will actually result in much nicer rendering of both airplane and cockpit as additional bonus, provided that your GPU can handle double number of pixels!

2.2 second option if you really want to keep your present 1920x1080 resolution. Outside of the game set the display resolution to 1920x1080. Inside game make sure its set to 1920x1080. Note: options such as Image Scaling and Integer scaling get activated only of the resolution of display changes from the native one.

Please let me know if it worked.

BR

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really annoying bug:

if I uncheck "full screen" - I have to match the game resolution with my screen resolution -> enforcing me to run DCS on 4K, which is give around 40-50 FPS on my rig.

If I check "full screen" I can use a lower resolution - @K - and I am getting 60-90 FPS. Any click on my second screen (Teamspeak, Whatsapp, or even PDF viewer of the airport map) minimizes the main full screen of DCS. This is a non-option.

If I uncheck "full screen" and use a lower resolution, and also click alt+enter, I am getting a full screen with the right FPS on my 4K screen. This introduces a different bug - the mouse pointer position is not calibrated and the cockpit is not clickable anymore.

So there is no winning outcome - all option are bad.. I just need the select the least worst option.