HTS & HAD Questions

Duervol

Hello there,

I am currently really struggling to get a proper triangulation to SAM emitters shown in the HAD.

Sometimes they are far off, nearly 500nm on an axis - and also telling me it is PGM2.
But most times my RWR is showing the Emitters and also I am just around 40-60NM away from it.

When I close up to around 20nm they pop up in den HAD, but then it is also difficult to get a better triangulation than 4nm to 6000ft.
Or it takes ages to get a better solution to bring other weapons in effect than only a Harm, where I can use the HAS or RUK to fight the SAM.
I am also aware of the functionality to not fly directly to the Emitter instead fly a circle around it for better triangulation.

Do you have any tips on how to get better Solutions? 

Also I am unable to triangulate EWRs - they never improve in the distance to my plane (also an SA-11 Snowdrift included) is this normal?

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Duervol

Thanks, as I have stated above, I am aware of that and it seems that this is not my problem at the moment.

What is your experiences to get a nice solution on the emitter to use JDAMS or Mav effectively with the Tpod?
Is there a sweetspot for the Range?

At the moment I can only trust to visual references as missile trails to locate the sam.. but for this I dont need an HTS Pod.

Edited by Duervol

Im just throwing stuff out but, is your jammer on? If so, that might inhibit your HTS to triangulate. I don’t really know if that does cause problems or not, but normally I’d imagine you would want the jammer off or not jamming.

Edit: just scanned over the mini-updates. The jammer does indeed affect the HTS pod when used in XMIT position 1. It will reduce its capabilities by 40%. Position 2 will completely silent the HTS as well as other equipment unless an AIM-120 is in flight. Position 3 is barrage jamming and will obviously make most sensors unable to detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Thank you, this could be an option that I have overlooked.
I am mostly running the ECM in Semi and XMIT 1 - but isnt this only jamming when I get locked? Or are my capabilities always reduced by 40% and everything silent when ECM is jamming?

Okay, then this is also not the point.

My problem is that in most cases I cannot get any better resolution fast enough to get a nice view with my TGP.
When I get close enough, e.g Killzone, then I am able to spot the SAM location easier with other Systems than with the HTS.

But I dont want to get so close to get shot at - if my pinpointet resolution would be better I dont need to bring myself in Danger.

25 minutes ago, Duervol said:

Okay, then this is also not the point.

My problem is that in most cases I cannot get any better resolution fast enough to get a nice view with my TGP.
When I get close enough, e.g Killzone, then I am able to spot the SAM location easier with other Systems than with the HTS.

But I dont want to get so close to get shot at - if my pinpointet resolution would be better I dont need to bring myself in Danger.

Usually PGM 2 is close enough that you can see the sam site with the TGP fully zoomed out. it might not be dead center, but it will likely be in the FOV. if it's not, slewing only a little left or right usually has me finding the sam site well out of its range (if it isnt an S300 that is)

• Like 1

Thank you, this could be an option that I have overlooked.
I am mostly running the ECM in Semi and XMIT 1 - but isnt this only jamming when I get locked? Or are my capabilities always reduced by 40% and everything silent when ECM is jamming?

I imagine it’s only when the jammer is actively jamming. I’m not sure when passive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

My guess is that ED is still tweaking the HTS.

When I tried yesterday to set a markpoint with the TGP on a SAM site using HTS I wasn't able to get good results even at close range. In the previous OB this worked like a charm. Also I'm no longer able to select the HARM modes from the HTS page with TMS right.

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

So... You want to put a bomb on a sam site you found with the HTS.... There's a few limitations preventing that from happening now.

1. It has to be done in good weather, because you will need to get the TGP on the site's critical node. The zone of uncertainty is an ellipse with the HTS pod, and the TGP will be pointed at the center of that ellipse. The largest error is in depth, not width, so take your pod and look forward and aft from where the HTS is cuing it, not left and right. PGM 2 or 3 should be enough to find the site from 20-30nm in the pod. The TGP has a hard draw limit of 40mm.

Keep in mind that for a JDAM attack you are really limited to SA-3 and SA-6, and SA-2 / 11 only if you use the jammer. Otherwise, you'll be in the no-escape zone of the SAM system by the time you can drop. JSOW is another option to consider.

2. I suspect that we may get a tighter ellipse and more easy to target coordinates when ED implements the datakink system for the HTS pods. With pods talking to one another from multiple jets arcing a site.... We can probably get tighter coordinates faster. i have no idea if or how ED plans to model this.

3. The strike eagle may be our saving grace for this kind of destructive SEAD.... We could find the system's general location with the HTS and pass the bullseye to a strike eagle, who could SAR Map it with their sweet radar, and find the SAM in any weather. They could then plan to JDAM the site while we Vipers shoot a HARM or two to cover their advance.

I've tried A LOT to do what you are trying with the current system, and it's not easy -- but i find that being around 20-30nm from the system and just slewing the pod forward and aft allows me to find the SAM site. Again, I'm limiting myself to SA 6 and 3s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

Using the HAD page 'THRT' sub page to be more selective with the classes (tables) of emitters you are looking for will greatly decrease the time between update on an emitter's azimuth/elevation using the HTS.

More frequently updated emitter bearings along with snaking and offsets to vary the angle from you to the emitter will help you narrow to PGM1  much faster.

Knee boards with codes here: 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your Input.
Tested and used the system a lot the last days and it and some first impressions might be wrong from my side.
But also I ran into some strange behaviour of the EWR, like RWR shows 3 EWR indications and in the HTS there is only one EWR shown with a 460nm to 2nm range at pgm 2 and totally misplaced and absolutely no range update.
On the other Side, this was on a Multiplayer Server - as it was my mission my own tests in the editor there were absolutely no problem.
But this could be also a script related thing, as we are using the Skynet IADS System - I will have an eye on it.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about the HTS that I cannot find the answer for.   When I start with a hot-start F16, I can use the HAD page just fine and put HARMS on target.   But when I do a cold start, the HAD page does not pick up any contacts for me.  Air-to-Ground mode, HTS hardpoint is powered on behind the stick, and the AGM-88s powered up in SMS.  After my cold start, I can use the HARM WPN page to detect threats and launch on them, but nothing is showing up on HTS even when I'm getting launched on.  There must be something I'm missing in the start-up procedure to configure the HTS for use.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, HawkEXO said:

I have a question about the HTS that I cannot find the answer for.   When I start with a hot-start F16, I can use the HAD page just fine and put HARMS on target.   But when I do a cold start, the HAD page does not pick up any contacts for me.  Air-to-Ground mode, HTS hardpoint is powered on behind the stick, and the AGM-88s powered up in SMS.  After my cold start, I can use the HARM WPN page to detect threats and launch on them, but nothing is showing up on HTS even when I'm getting launched on.  There must be something I'm missing in the start-up procedure to configure the HTS for use.  Any thoughts?

I have the exact same issue with the HTS at the moment. Only issues for cold start... The in-air works just fine.

Also the TMS right never works for me to cycle between targets. Impossible to lock sth which is few feets next to another Radar Emitter.

2 hours ago, RndName said:

I have the exact same issue with the HTS at the moment. Only issues for cold start... The in-air works just fine.

Also the TMS right never works for me to cycle between targets. Impossible to lock sth which is few feets next to another Radar Emitter.

Never had an issue with the HTS not picking up any targets and I always do cold starts so I can't help you with that. Regarding cycling targets however, I found it only works if you lock a target and go TMS Left to bring up the SEAD page on the DED. After that you can cycle with TMS Right.

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante