Alt+Enter does not enter full screen; stuck in windowed

Nealius

As of DCS 2.7.10.18996 I cannot get Alt+Enter to switch to full screen mode. It has been working previously in 2.7.9. Pressing Alt+Tab will flash DCS as if it has switched, but effectively it has not.

Framerates are capped at 60, but are typically in the 40-50 range when they should be locked at either 60 or 30 (Vsync on). I have doubled-checked NCP and Vsync is set to "application controlled." I have also tried the volume-check trick, whereby if the WIndows volume window appears above DCS then you are in windowed mode. If the volume window does not appear, you are in full screen. I am always in windowed mode according to this test. 

I am running DCS as administrator with fullscreen optimizations turned off. 

I have removed all mods and ran repair. Twice. 

I have cleared fxo and metashaders folders.

I have rebooted twice.

Still cannot get into full screen mode.

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

As of DCS 2.7.10.18996 I cannot get Alt+Enter to switch to full screen mode. It has been working previously in 2.7.9. Pressing Alt+Tab will flash DCS as if it has switched, but effectively it has not.

Framerates are capped at 60, but are typically in the 40-50 range when they should be locked at either 60 or 30 (Vsync on). I have doubled-checked NCP and Vsync is set to "application controlled." I have also tried the volume-check trick, whereby if the WIndows volume window appears above DCS then you are in windowed mode. If the volume window does not appear, you are in full screen. I am always in windowed mode according to this test. 

I am running DCS as administrator with fullscreen optimizations turned off. 

I have removed all mods and ran repair. Twice. 

I have cleared fxo and metashaders folders.

I have rebooted twice.

Still cannot get into full screen mode.

start with the basics - is "full Screen" selected in your settings and are those settings applied (ie "ok" button hit to close GUI)

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

12 minutes ago, Nealius said:

It is indeed checked, for all the presets (2D and VR) that I use.

Had to ask. 🙂

Full scree mode is working for me so I its definately not a global DCS thing. 

I had a quick google fu but all that came back with was Exel bugs - that said one thing to try was Win Alt Enter. 

Ill keep looking about unless cleverer people find a solution afore me or ye

Sorry I couldnt help you with a "ta-dah!!"

further silly question - is it standalone or Steam?

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Standalone. 

Earlier I had an issue with the DCS Updater/Launcher Utility. I had errantly selected a preset when starting without VR, but despite disabling the preset (and even launching DCS the usual way without the utility), my graphics settings were stuck and wouldn't change. As in, the settings in the menu were high, the settings in my options.lua were high, but the in-game graphics were low. 

I resolved that by running a repair and doing a system reboot, but maybe it left some residual issue that's affecting Alt+Enter? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Edited by Nealius

@Nealius as Flappie alluded to (i think), there is an "options.lua" file in %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config. full screen is a variable.

image.png

this matches what i have in the options GUI in DCS

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Fullscreen = true in my options.lua as well.

I haven't renamed my Saved Games folder yet, as I have a large number of acculumulated liveries, graphics presets for VR that took months of tweaking to achieve, dot label settings that I no longer have notation for to rebuild, control profiles for 32 modules, etc. 

Edited by Nealius

Update: 

Backed up Config folder and generated a new one. Still no change. DCS is "full screen" but not in true full screen. Alt+Enter flashes the screen but does not change anything. Framerate behavior indicates adaptive Vsync is on, but I do not have adaptive Vsync enabled on any software (DCS or NCP). 

52 minutes ago, WinterH said:

It has been this way for me since 2.7 came, as a side effect, I can't use Nvidia DSR to fake a higher res than my old screen supports anymore either, oh well 😛

I do not get that option with RTX 2070, do you have to connect high resolution monitor? (I consider buying one)

Which GPU?

51 minutes ago, okopanja said:

I do not get that option with RTX 2070, do you have to connect high resolution monitor? (I consider buying one)

Which GPU?

2060 Super, you need to enable it through Nvidia control panel in 3d/DSR multipliers. Then you will get higher resolution options to choose from listed in the games' setting screens.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

18 hours ago, Mustang said:

🤦‍♂️ oops dunno how I missed that, but be sure to check that you're applying this to DCS.exe and not DCS_updater.exe which the shortcut uses.

I've enabled it to both the desktop shortcut and the DCS.exe in the /bin/ folder. I often run through Skatezilla's utility which I think should run DCS.exe, but even when I run DCS.exe directly I'm still not able to get full screen.

Possibly related issue: Every time I open DCS it starts minimized and I am unable to click anything on my desktop. Pressing alt+tab to select any app other than DCS will focus DCS, but it is shrunk, only filling a portion of my screen. Then when clicking somewhere on my desktop it enlarges and I can use it as normal.

Edited by Nealius

Reinstalled GPU driver?

5 hours ago, Nealius said:

I've enabled it to both the desktop shortcut and the DCS.exe in the /bin/ folder. I often run through Skatezilla's utility which I think should run DCS.exe, but even when I run DCS.exe directly I'm still not able to get full screen.

Possibly related issue: Every time I open DCS it starts minimized and I am unable to click anything on my desktop. Pressing alt+tab to select any app other than DCS will focus DCS, but it is shrunk, only filling a portion of my screen. Then when clicking somewhere on my desktop it enlarges and I can use it as normal.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, Boosterdog said:

Reinstalled GPU driver?

Fresh update to 511.23 just prior to the 2.7.10 update. In 2.7.9 on the same driver I had no issues. Looks like a new driver released so I'll try that one.

511.65 with a clean driver install doesn't help 😞 On my end it seems to be something with DCS 2.10 itself. There was a period before 2.9 when I encountered the same issue. Then 2.9 fixed it, then 2.10 broke it again. 

Edited by Nealius

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, Nealius said:

Fresh update to 511.23 just prior to the 2.7.10 update. In 2.7.9 on the same driver I had no issues. Looks like a new driver released so I'll try that one.

I'm not so sure its a driver issue, I've a 3080TI and I'm also not able to go full screen, I've selected the in game option which doesn't make a difference, checked that Full Screen = True - no matter how many times I hit Alt & Enter the screen will flicker breifly but will not go into full screen. Granted I haven't played DCS for a while (3 maybe 4 updates ago) so can't tell you how long it's been doing it, I run in full screen as my game & trackir performance are much better. 

• Like 1

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Hey @BIGNEWYany chance you can run this issue by your techie guys please, no matter what we do we can't run the game in true full screen mode 😞

Thanks in advance. 

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Fixed it, well some dude on hoggit came to rescue - basically @Nealiusand anyone else who would like to try, right click on the DCS icon and disabling full screen optimization in windows compatibility settings, smooth as silk now 🙂

• Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...