Alt+Enter does not enter full screen; stuck in windowed

Nealius

• ED Team

Posted in another thread, but have a read of this microsoft devblog it may help explain the need for the change

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

it also has some advice

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, Livers said:

That is nearly a 3 year old blog post - what prompted the DCS change now?

We had a bug with FPS drop when Alt+ Enter was used, that bug is fixed and alt+ Enter is no longer supported

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, BIGNEWY said:

We had a bug with FPS drop when Alt+ Enter was used, that bug is fixed and alt+ Enter is no longer supported

Please reconsider this change because it completely broke support for CPU-based streaming.

DCS is now effectively running in "Borderless Windowed" which means it does NOT prioritize Windows resources over other processes. As a result, Windows juggles resources between DCS and other processes, resulting in a seriously degraded experience for both the player and viewer.

Edited by Noctrach
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

DCS is now effectively running in "Fullscreen Windowed" which means it does NOT prioritize Windows resources over other processes. As a result, Windows juggles resources between DCS and other processes, resulting in a seriously degraded experience for both the player and viewer.

This seems to describe, exactly, the reduced-performance-behavior I'm seeing now. I wonder if all the DCS testing is happening on high-end systems so no one in the 'factory' sees an issue?

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Just now, wilbur81 said:

This seems to describe, exactly, the reduced-performance-behavior I'm seeing now. I wonder if all the DCS testing is happening on high-end systems so no one in the 'factory' sees an issue?

I think nobody on their testing team has additional resource-intensive processes like OBS running, or they simply do not understand the Windows resource allocation differences between Fullscreen Exclusive and Borderless Windowed.

Either way this is a MASSIVELY negative change for those of us that do indeed stream the game for their communities.

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

we have many machines in the team. 

2 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

I think nobody on their testing team has additional resource-intensive processes like OBS running, or they simply do not understand the Windows resource allocation differences between Fullscreen Exclusive and Borderless Windowed.

Either way this is a MASSIVELY negative change for those of us that do indeed stream the game for their communities.

I have asked the team about this 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

Fair enough... and, to be fair to them, the average user (probably like myself?) isn't streaming while they play. Regardless, I'd be nice to see a solution for you and the average user as soon as possible. eh..um... VulKan? 🙂

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• ED Team

@Noctrach  @wilbur81 can you PM me with your dxdiag 

thanks

• ED Team

Hi all, 

the team have asked if you can try this. 

It should switch back to the old mode and allow alt + enter 

add in autoexec.cfg

dx11backend = 
{
    flipMode = false,
}

Let us know if it helps with performance 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scommander2 said:

@BIGNEWY  Where is the location of the file "autoexec.cfg"?  Thanks.

If memory serves. Saved games. Config\autoexec.cfg

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

When I apply this code to my autoexec the dialog window (briefing) at mission start don't shows. Everything else works. (No change in fps behavior - but I didn't have issues in the first place)

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

53 minutes ago, Hiob said:

When I apply this code to my autoexec the dialog window (briefing) at mission start don't shows.

It happened to me also. I have another few entries in my autoexec.cfg, and as it turned out I've accidentally added an extra space in the command line above when I've added the new code. After the deletion of the unnecessary space everything is working fine now.

I can confirm my FPS is good again with the newly added code. And the in-game stutters I've got with the 2.7.18.30348 update are gone too. Thanks.

Edited by Mike68
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Mike68 said:

It happened to me also. I have another few entries in my autoexec.cfg, and as it turned out I've accidentally added an extra space in the command line above when I've added the new code. After the deletion of the unnecessary space everything is working fine now.

I can confirm my FPS is good again with the newly added code. And the in-game stutters I've got with the 2.7.18.30348 update are gone too. Thanks.

Can you post me your autoexec?

I have carefully checked for additional blancs but it still only breaks the menu windows and does nothing else....

I usually don't use an autoexec.cfg. Savegames\...\Config\autoexec.cfg is the right place, isn't it?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I found an intertesting DCS behavior:

1. I have the DCS screen shows on the external display (DCS resolution is the exact the externall display's resolution, no flipMode = false in autoexec.cfg)

2. the edge of the DCS app widget shows on the my primary screen (I just noticed it), and shut DCS down.

3. after apply "flipMode = false" in autoexec.cfg, launch DCS again with applied "Alt+Enter"

The edge of widget is gone, and I am wondering that the now DCS app is running "full-screen".  

Thanks.

Edited by scommander2

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

2 hours ago, scommander2 said:

I found an intertesting DCS behavior:

1. I have the DCS screen shows on the external display (DCS resolution is the exact the externall display's resolution, no flipMode = false in autoexec.cfg)

2. the edge of the DCS app widget shows on the my primary screen (I just noticed it), and shut DCS down.

3. after apply "flipMode = false" in autoexec.cfg, launch DCS again with applied "Alt+Enter"

The edge of widget is gone, and I am wondering that the now DCS app is running "full-screen".  

Thanks.

implied that whatever ALT-ENT did before the change, the lines in autoexec.cfg allows the same thing. so yes.

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

When I apply this code to my autoexec the dialog window (briefing) at mission start don't shows. Everything else works. (No change in fps behavior - but I didn't have issues in the first place)

hello hiob. i believe this is what you should have. excluding the other lines.

null

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 10/26/2022 at 5:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

the team have asked if you can try this. 

add in autoexec.cfg

dx11backend = 
{
    flipMode = false,
}

Let us know if it helps with performance 

This helps immensely, not dropping any frames anymore. Thanks 👍

• Like 2