No sound when being hit

Lynnux

DCS 2.7.10.18996 Open beta and some patches before

Often there's no audible feedback when being hit.

Affected units: various (likely all)

Occurence: 5% ?

In addition the game sometimes stutters when there's some info from the ATC or AWACS.

I'm playing mostly multiplayer.

• Like 1

Here are the definitive results. These aircraft have no "hit' sound.

• P-47D (all three variants)
  • P-51D-25-NA
  • P-51D-30-NA
  • Fw-190D-9

EDIT: or do they?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Conclusion : if I wait about 15 seconds before being shot at, I can hear hits aboard all playable aircraft.

The bug you desscribe in the OP will be tough to catch. We'll need tracks.

Edited by Flappie

Just to add: put some AAA on the very-near-to-each-other fields in Normandy.  And fly by over them with the warbirds at around 1000 mts or so.  You get shot, your plane looks damaged, but you hear not a sound that those shots have impacted you.

It's a real bug, not just an "immersion" problem, because, unless you make it a habit of constantly checking your wings for holes, you have no idea your plane may be less performant or even in the bring of failure.

Please, look deeper into this.

Thanks,

Rafa.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

Well, sure, we could spend hours doing EDs work for them, instead of reporting the bug we could start diagnosing them, reproducing them.  Or you could try and put some the WWII period AAA that have been reported already and see if that reproduces it.  Yes, I can look into it further, but I assumed that should be someone else's job.

Edited by RafaPolit

• ED Team

We already have this reported, 

this is the bugs section for people to report issues, its completely optional if you want to help out or not. Some people enjoy reporting issues correctly and with as much information as possible, if that is not your thing, fine. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As far as I know, that is what I did: "to replicate, add wwII AAA in the nearing fields in normandy and fly over them".  That should be enough without a track file.

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

We already have this reported...

Is there a place to see all the standing issues? There is no mention that this is already acknowledged and being looked into.  Maybe I'm missing a place where you have a "known bugs" section so that I can avoid posting things that are already been looked into?

1 minute ago, RafaPolit said:

As far as I know, that is what I did: "to replicate, add wwII AAA in the nearing fields in normandy and fly over them".  That should be enough without a track file.

I did this: I flew above a field of Shilka units. DCS has a lot of different AAA units. Apparently, some make hit noises, and some don't.

The reason we keep asking for tracks is that there are so many possibilities in this sim that it can be very hard to reproduce an issue. Although the OP was not precise at all, I spent a few hours on this bug and yet I couldn't reproduce it. Why? Becasue there is no track.

• ED Team
24 minutes ago, RafaPolit said:

Is there a place to see all the standing issues? There is no mention that this is already acknowledged and being looked into.  Maybe I'm missing a place where you have a "known bugs" section so that I can avoid posting things that are already been looked into?

usually a quick google search or forum search will give a result. We do not have a public bug tracker. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yeah, I don't know.  I did try it on an external server running in multiplayer mode, still, it was only me flying.  I have not been able to reproduce either with 100% certainty.  The thing is, you don't know which hits are making sound and which don't, unless you get a single hit that doesn't have a sound.  So I think that this needs to be analyzed in code as to what could be triggering the situation, instead of trying get exactly that 1 in a 100th time it happens in game.  Some bugs are 100% replicable, others aren't.  They are flaky and only fail on very specific conditions (either purely code related, or based on hardware / software interaction, for example).  As a dev, you need to find out the probable cause in code, sometimes not being able to reproduce at all.  What is harder to do.  😞

What shouldn't happen is that a bug noticed by over a dozen people over at the 4YA servers is not looked into unless it can be reproduced with 100% success.  But I understand it's much harder to find if you cannot see it happening.

4 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

This mission file replicates the scenario... of course, it does not fail 100% of the time.  Hope this helps replicate it.

Many, thanks. At first, I thought I could not replicate the issue, but then I found the report Bignewy told us about. What I can hear distincly is the outter sounds (muffled by the closed canopy), but the inner sounds are indeed missing.

If you cannot hear ANY hit sound, then it's a different issue, but then I cannot reproduce it.

AAA M54 Quadmount sound test.trk

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

1. I always do a forum search before posting such bugs, couldn't find any entry which would fit to this.

2. Playing multiplayer the resulting track file is too large.

3. Track files are highly unreliable, especially multiplayer. Usually when I replay them something totally different happens like displaced planes crashing already at take-off.

4. Big thanks to Flappie for his testing effort. This is indeed hard to reproduce. For sure I've been longer than 15 s in mission (if you meant that with "wait 15s or longer") when this occured but maybe, as RafaPolit mentioned, sounds are even more delayed in MP ?

You're welcome.

When a bug happens in both SP and MP, SP tracks are preferred, indeed. And short ones when possible.

I assume if hit events are not delayed in MP, hit sounds shouldn't be delayed either.