speed-of-heat

https://reshade.me/releases/9236-6-0

not tested it yet.

Download is here:

https://reshade.me/#download

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

17 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I should  have a look, because 3dmigoto will not support vulkan. I wonder what it will aloow yo do (or not)...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

This is good news 👍 I wonder if the shimmering will still be exacerbated as per the sharper eye build. I'm guessing the plugins and FX from sharper eye and any associated settings we already had should work with this new build too.

Update

Just tried a quick and dirty test. Basically copied the new DLL into a copy of my existing sharper eye mod directory. Kept the .INI files as they were previously. No  functional keyboard control to toggle effects on/off or bring up the menu. So something is amiss. Need some more time to play, but on the upside DCS started fine and the correct dxgi.dll is definitely in the bin directory, and it's the new version from the 5.0 release, however there is no corresponding .log file. Will try and fiddle some more.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Cannot get it to work on Quest2 + SteamVR by installing to the DCS bin directory, otherwise the 2D version works just fine.

Update: I install ReShade 5.0 first and "patch" it with "Reshade VR Package" and it works fine now:

https://boneworks.thunderstore.io/package/Alfi/Reshade_VR_Package/

But I am not sure if I should reverse the installation, "Reshade VR Package" first then the ReShade 5.0

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

copied the text from @Supmua

Been messing around with Reshade 5.0 and it's great.  The popular CAS sharpening and Tonemap (Gamma/Exposure) filters have about 2ms negative effect on the frametime, but the Vibrance filter has literally none (on the frametime).  The Aero is already plenty sharp there's no need to increase sharpness, so Vibrance the best bang for the performance/fidelity ratio if used with DCS native gamma adjustment. making everything pop.  I was hoping to be able to use the SMAA filter to replace MSAA but no go, MSAA is still the best option in terms of shimmering reduction.

EDIT:  Found my new fav Reshade filter, it's lumasharpen.  This doesn't affect shimmering, and has very small cost to the frametime at 0.5ms.

Tips for folks that want to try Reshade 5.0:

-During installation, select DCS.exe from the \bin folder, choose DX 10/11/12 option.

-Reshade VR will only activate from SteamVR control bar, as it uses a different interface/runtime from 2D so bringing up 2D window option with HOME key will not work (it sorta will but no effect in VR).  Bring up SteamVR control bar (pressing system button on the controller) and click on Reshade icon to bring up the control window. 

-You can only pick filters in Performance mode, so click on that and pick the filter(s) you want.

-You can only adjust the filter parameters in non-performance mode, so unclick the performance mode to make adjustment.  Adjustment can only be done via VR controller, mouse input doesn't work.  You can input decimal numbers via pop-up keypad by doubleclicking the trigger button on the input sliders.

Recommended Reshade filters:

1. Vibrance.  My current setting is 0.15, this makes the overall image pop a bit but not too much.  Near zero effect on frametime.

2. Lumasharpen.  My current setting is 1.5.  This brings incredible amount of ground and distant detail with next to no effect on shimmering.  0.5ms negative effect on frametime.  

My current DCS settings:  this may change as I’m still messing around trying to find a good balance between performance and visual quality

-80% SteamVR per app setting, minimal difference in visuals vs 100% while much more economical in terms of frametime.

-cockpit res 1024, this headset deserves extra detail as it has enough resolving power to show it.

-MSAA 2X, to minimize shimmering and aliasing artifacts.

-high visibility and clouds, this is why we have the Varjo headset.

-medium water, found it to be good enough for me.

-low shadow, more life-like appearance inside the cockpit compare to flat.

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Would be great if there was a way of accessing the menus and enable/disable without having to rely on the controllers, I never use the things tbh.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

You can still use the menus via Control Home from what i can see 

So there is a problem:

• Vrpefkit - perf improvement and some sharpening
  • Reshade/SharperEye - colour improvement and some sharpening
  • 3Dmigoto - situational perf (shadows, CBU), colour and situational sharpening  

you get to pick two of them...

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

My vote.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Here's a zipped OvGME version of Reshade 5.0 - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah0QNaTr5MUPnCRRXRXNliYzaO09?e=0pmakA (on Onedrive as too big to attach here)

Tested and working. Everything just goes to DCS\bin as per fholgar's original version.

Note: The excellent VR_CAS_Color.fx shader that did the sharpening in fholgar's original VR Reshade is not included in any of the effects packs available in the Reshade 5.0 setup, so I've imported it from fholgar's original as it's definately the best sharpener for VR. I've also included the SweetFX shaders which include Vibrance and LumaSharpen mentioned in Supmua's post. I tried Lumasharpen but I don't find it anywhere near as good as VR_CAS_Color.fx, YMMV.

There is an ini file called test1.ini in my version, which just implements VR_CAS_Color.fx with the sharpening settings I was using in Holgar's version but you can obviously just delete it or change its settings in the interface or edit the ini itself.

Edited by ShaunX
  • Thanks 7

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

51 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

Here's a zipped OvGME version of Reshade 5.0 - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah0QNaTr5MUPnCRRXRXNliYzaO09?e=0pmakA (on Onedrive as too big to attach here)

Tested and working. Everything just goes to DCS\bin as per Holgar's original version.

Note: The excellent VR_CAS_Color.fx shader that did the sharpening in Holgar's original VR Reshade is not included in any of the effects packs available in the Reshade 5.0 setup, so I've imported it from Holgar's original as it's definately the best sharpener for VR. I've also included the SweetFX shaders which include Vibrance and LumaSharpen mentioned in Supmua's post. I tried Lumasharpen but I don't find it anywhere near as good as VR_CAS_Color.fx, YMMV.

There is an ini file called test1.ini in my version, which just implements VR_CAS_Color.fx with the sharpening settings I was using in Holgar's version but you can obviously just delete it or change its settings in the interface or edit the ini itself.

Something odd going on my end, I’m only seeing the effect in the mirror, not in the headset. I can ramp the sharpening up to 15 (just to make the enable/ disable obvious) and I can see it applied to the 2D mirror, but no change in the HMD 🤔

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

So there is a problem:

• Vrpefkit - perf improvement and some sharpening

I went 3dmigoto for the CBU fix and vrperfkit. I think the reshade/sharper eye provides the best visual quality, but avoiding the massive fps drops is a big one for my enjoyment and better performance from vrperfkit is to me the best compromise overall. 

11 minutes ago, zildac said:

Something odd going on my end, I’m only seeing the effect in the mirror, not in the headset. I can ramp the sharpening up to 15 (just to make the enable/ disable obvious) and I can see it applied to the 2D mirror, but no change in the HMD 🤔

in the release notes ..

"this marks the first release with VR support for games using SteamVR. ReShade creates a separate effect runtime for VR, so you can configure different effects for what is displayed on the monitor to what is displayed in the VR headset"

..so there's maybe a flag somewhere ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

17 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

in the release notes ..

"this marks the first release with VR support for games using SteamVR. ReShade creates a separate effect runtime for VR, so you can configure different effects for what is displayed on the monitor to what is displayed in the VR headset"

..so there's maybe a flag somewhere ?

Something is definitely off, but I'm using your archive and the included .INI files from the archive. The only change I’ve made thus far is to map the "END" key to effect enable/disable. Odd. And it does indeed register as such in the "Home" menu when toggled. But no change to the image in the HMD. The dxgi.log looks fine too I can see the shaders compiling etc. Is it perhaps that you HAVE to use the Steam VR menu to toggle the effect in the HMD, the statement from the release notes suggests possibly. I'll dig a controller out....

Update

OK, mystery solved. In order to enable/disable the effects in the HMD you have to use the controller to open the SteamVR overlay and use the Reshade menu in the HMD. Not a major issue as the effects are enabled by default, but a bit of a faff if you want to simply try real-time comparisons of settings, as you need a controller to hand. The "old" way of doing it via the menu on the mirror (when pressing HOME by default) ONLY seems to affect the 2D mirror....

Edited by zildac
Update

4 minutes ago, zildac said:

Something is definitely off, but I'm using your archive and the included .INI files from the archive. The only change I’ve made thus far is to map the "END" key to effect enable/disable. Odd. And it does indeed register as such in the "Home" menu when toggled. But no change to the image in the HMD. The dxgi.log looks fine too I can see the shaders compiling etc. Is it perhaps that you HAVE to use the Steam VR menu to toggle the effect in the HMD, the statement from the release notes suggests possibly. I'll dig a controller out....

Weird. Works fine for me, and I can change settings in 2D with the home menu.

Can't see any obvious flags. Maybe these..

NoReloadOnInit=0
NoReloadOnInitForNonVR=0

Definately no remnants of your previous install in DCS\bin ?

2 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

Weird. Works fine for me, and I can change settings in 2D with the home menu.

Can't see any obvious flags. Maybe these..

NoReloadOnInit=0
NoReloadOnInitForNonVR=0

Definately no remnants of your previous install in DCS\bin ?

Very strange, no nothing left from sharper eye, all cleaned up. So are you saying that you can toggle the effect (in the HMD) on and off using the standard keys? Because I can definitely only do it via the SteamVR overlay menu, which of course requires a controller to hand. I can change settings in the 2D home menu fine, but they are NOT applied to the HMD image unless I reload from the SteamVR overlay, likewise I cannot toggle on and off the effect (in the HMD) using the normal enable/disable key (END).

to toggle specific shaders on and off in HMD mode, make sure you have performance mode checked

It makes sense, and I do. However, I still seem unable to enable or disable ALL the effects in the standard 2D menu, it only applies to 2D not HMD. In HMD mode I obviously need to bring up the SteamVR overlay to select Reshade 5.0, and then I can toggle quite happily.

Also, there's a checkbox in VR_CAS_Color - "Single image for both eyes". In 2D mode I can see a clear enhancement in clarity when I uncheck the box with the 2D menu. In VR, using the SteamVR overlay, I see no difference at all checked or unchecked.

OK, so if you bind a key to "KeyEffects" in your Reshade.ini or via the 2D UI  (the below uses END to toggle) do you notice the effect being enabled/disabled in the HMD. Because I do not, and previously, I used this key to quickly disable all the currently active  Reshade shaders or re-enable them. It's this behaviour that I think has changed with the official VR version.   

Reshade.ini

[INPUT]
ForceShortcutModifiers=1
InputProcessing=2
KeyEffects=35,0,0,0
KeyNextPreset=0,0,0,0
KeyOverlay=36,0,0,0
KeyPerformanceMode=0,0,0,0
KeyPreviousPreset=0,0,0,0
KeyReload=0,0,0,0
KeyScreenshot=44,0,0,0

Edited by zildac

No I don't notice either -- even though I am mixing the hacked version and overwrite it by 5.0.0.