Open Kneeboard for VR and 2d

Ready

On 5/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, edmuss said:

fredmight it be possible to have virtual buttons that can be tapped with the stylus instead of pressing physical buttons?

It’s reasonably likely we’ll end up with the same toolbar from the main app in the top header of the kneeboard

• Like 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but could we get "Next (Cycle)" commands for tabs and pages like VRK has? Then can just use 1 button to cycle through tabs/pages instead of needing to have next and prev assigned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Munkwolf said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but could we get "Next (Cycle)" commands for tabs and pages like VRK has? Then can just use 1 button to cycle through tabs/pages instead of needing to have next and prev assigned.

I'll probably re-add that as an option; I briefly added it, and both myself and the person who originally asked for it ended up disliking it, as it makes it harder to go to the first or last page, so removed it pretty shortly after.

Edited by actually_fred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

2 hours ago, actually_fred said:

It’s reasonably likely we’ll end up with the same toolbar from the main app in the top header of the kneeboard

To be honest, I'm not 100% familiar with the toolbar options from memory (brain is lacking in RAM these days 😄) but if I remember correctly it's a separate button for each tab and the burger menu button to access pages?

If so, I think that would be better for myself than the buttons from the point of being more intuitive 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

3 hours ago, actually_fred said:

Combinations work, as long as all the buttons are on the same device; for cross-device modifiers, something like joystick gremin works well. I'd be open to pull requests adding support for a more complex binding system, but don't plan to work on it myself

My personal preference is a small Wacom Intuos - this has a ~ 12x18cm drawable area, ~ 16x20cm total area including the buttons.

I use 3M command strips to attach it to something like https://www.amazon.com/Destination-Departure-Pilot-Kneeboard-Comfortable/dp/B087JZ3WNC/ - the dedicated pen/stylus clip at the top is handy.

I also have a Huion H640p; my impression is:

• no noticeable difference in writing/drawing feel for me for this use; Actual artists may strongly disagree 😛 
  • Wacom have much better/more reliable software; for OpenKneeboard in particular, the option to set the buttons to 'application defined' is useful. This makes binding them via OpenKneeboard's input settings work, rather than having to use 'remote control' helper programs via Huion's 'launch program' option, and also avoids the Huion drivers need to keep the mouse cursor within the DCS/OpenKneeboard windows.
  • the small Intuos is a better size
  • the large, recessed buttons on the Intuos are much easier to find and press while you've got a VR headset on
  • ... but the Huion is 'good enough', much cheaper, and has two more buttons

Longer extends the writing area closer to your hips; you can crop the area in the driver settings, but when it's literally on my knee, I find writing near the bottom of the h640p a little uncomfortable.

@actually_fred thank you for your inputs, they're very welcome!

Unfortunately, I had already pushed the "buy" button, so I'm now waiting for my tablet to arrive. In the end, I went with a Huion H430P, mostly because of its dimensions: from what I read around on the Internet, it's basically a smaller and cheaper Intuos S. Since I'm guessing no one else in here has it, I'll let you know how it works.

I'm sorry for the dumb question: how do I install the program? I downloaded the .msix file, but if I double clik on it, it doesn't run, the "choose an application window" opens... I can open it with 7zip, can I just decompress what's inside in a folder?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just downloaded the .zip version.

Edited by Gianky

• 2 weeks later...

Works great! Thanks. I first tried it on my old Ugee M708 tablet. No hope with that. The drivers aren't supported anymore. So I bought a Wacom Intuos and so far works a treat. I'm using OpenVR.

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 1:01 PM, lucky-hendrix said:

Looks like a very nice program. I installed it, but I feel almost retaded to ask this question : How to add .pdf files to it ? Can't find any option in the app. And I can't locate the installation folder ?

I also need direction on this. Also, can we make additional tab sections? 

On 6/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, Hairdo1-1 said:

I also need direction on this. Also, can we make additional tab sections? 

I would really like to know this also! I see a button to add a pdf file and that works perfectly but all the other folders (theater,  module etc..) are empty and stay empty. Where do these tabs search for documents? I guess somewhere in the saved games folder... I have been trying for 2 hours but the tabs stay empty. Kneeboard looks perfect in vr however (if only it showed documents 😄)

Thanks for this program,  much appreciated!

Jozeff

My projects:

Wow, Thanks a lot!! You must be the most hands on developer I've ever come across.

After asking my question I started fondling along with the app and some dcs settings. I changed the saved games folder (in openkneeboard) a couple of times and just when I wanted to give up I saw some documents appear in the kneeboard. Looks like it is working now.

You mentioned creating a dedicated kneeboard folder in dcs. I haven't done that this morning obviously but somehow managed to get it working.

If I don't create such a folder where does openkneeboard get its data from?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Jozeff

• 1 month later...

When binding button presses on my TM Warthog, the app will detect the key presses from the hat that is on the RHS of the Throttle and allow me to bind the page and tab next/previous to them but it does not detect the key presses from the hat that is on the front of the throttle and allow me to bind them...what gives? (My device is not faulty as i have tested this

also, i am using this in IL2 great battles with steamvr as an overlay showing a pdf of my various key bindings on multiple controllers, how can i save different kneeboards for different aircraft as it doesnt seem to save any kind of kneeboard file as such from what i can see. At the moment i have to save a different pdf for each aircraft and flick through the multiple pages to get to the aircraft i want...is that a limitation or am i doing something wrong?

Edited by Tonester
thought of something else

On 7/29/2022 at 2:44 AM, Tonester said:

When binding button presses on my TM Warthog, the app will detect the key presses from the hat that is on the RHS of the Throttle and allow me to bind the page and tab next/previous to them but it does not detect the key presses from the hat that is on the front of the throttle and allow me to bind them...what gives? (My device is not faulty as i have tested this

It currently supports joystick buttons; the warthog throttle pretends that some of its' hats are buttons - these one works. True hats are not currently supported - updates for that will be here: https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/issues/80

also, i am using this in IL2 great battles with steamvr as an overlay showing a pdf of my various key bindings on multiple controllers, how can i save different kneeboards for different aircraft as it doesnt seem to save any kind of kneeboard file as such from what i can see. At the moment i have to save a different pdf for each aircraft and flick through the multiple pages to get to the aircraft i want...is that a limitation or am i doing something wrong?

The easiest way is to use multiple tabs; alternatively, you can switch out Saved Games\OpenKneeboard\settings.json with different versions for different aircraft. Updates on support for profiles in general will be at https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/issues/63 . The DCS forums aren't really the right place for IL2-related questions, though I won't be working on anything IL2-specific (like automatic switching) as I'm banned from posting in their community (my guess is for explaining OpenKneeboard's anti-cheat warning, though no reason was given).

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:44 PM, actually_fred said:

It currently supports joystick buttons; the warthog throttle pretends that some of its' hats are buttons - these one works. True hats are not currently supported - updates for that will be here: https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/issues/80

The easiest way is to use multiple tabs; alternatively, you can switch out Saved Games\OpenKneeboard\settings.json with different versions for different aircraft. Updates on support for profiles in general will be at https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/issues/63 . The DCS forums aren't really the right place for IL2-related questions, though I won't be working on anything IL2-specific (like automatic switching) as I'm banned from posting in their community (my guess is for explaining OpenKneeboard's anti-cheat warning, though no reason was given).

Thanks for the headsup...any idea when 1.2 will be released?

No ETA, though you can get an idea of progress here: https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/projects/2

My projects:

I'm having an issue where Open VR Kneeboard moves positions every time I load into DCS and also during flight.  I've never had this problem and been using it for months.  I keep having to go in and adjust the kneeboard position every time.  Any suggestions?

On 8/17/2022 at 9:49 PM, Tonester said:

Thanks for the headsup...any idea when 1.2 will be released?

v1.2-beta2 includes support for hats: https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/releases/tag/v1.2-beta2

This also includes the changes in v1.2-beta1: https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/releases/tag/v1.2-beta1

22 hours ago, thetford569 said:

I'm having an issue where Open VR Kneeboard moves positions every time I load into DCS and also during flight.  I've never had this problem and been using it for months.  I keep having to go in and adjust the kneeboard position every time.  Any suggestions?

If you're using WMR, https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard/blob/master/docs/troubleshooting/wmr-kneeboard-position.md

More generally: bind a button/combo to 'recenter' in OpenKneeboard settings; it generally works best if you use the same button/combo for VR recenter in DCS and OpenKneeboard.

OpenKneeboard asks to be in the same place every time; it's up to SteamVR and/or the headset manufacturer to make that happen, and OpenKneeboard can't detect when they fail; recentering as soon as you're in-game is the best workaround.

Edited by actually_fred
  • Like 1

My projects:

A couple questions if i may as i have installed the software to try with my G2 and OpenXR

1. Where does the program install?  I checked my program files after i ran the msix.zip and even tried searching for it but i can't find its install path?
  2. Subsequently - how would i uninstall if i cant get it to work?
  3. I installed - my default keybinds to bring up kneeboard in DCS just bring up the regular kneeboard i have been using. I assume this is because I did not set OKB bindings yet?  OKB doesnt seem to accept multi-key binds or the hat switches i have available for binding... what key binds are you folks using that do not conflict with any DCS modules?

Looking forward to trying it out.

EDIT**

I set up my keybinds and confirmed both the saved games and exe folders are being pointed at but nothing renders for a kneeboard when i click the assignment for show/hide... am i missing something?  OpenKneeboard is running in the background and I even see the message log when i quit dcs.  nothin in-game though.  Help?

Edited by dooom

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Anyone else having trouble getting the kneeboard to turn on?  I installed with the exe and confirmed all the paths are correct, i bound my keys and i have OKB running in background when i fly but i can get anything to render in the VT pit.

Help?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

Take a look at https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard#getting-help ; if the guides linked here don't help, please include whether or not you're using VR, and if so, what headset you're using, and if you're using OpenComposite

> Where does the program install?  I checked my program files after i ran the msix.zip and even tried searching for it but i can't find its install path?

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps ; this is used for any MSIX or Appx package, and anything installed from the MS store. Windows locks this down a lot and it's not really possible to workaround that without breaking stuff.

It can be launched from the start menu, or as 'openkneeboard.exe' without a path; if you need an exe path for some other launcher, use C:\ProgramData\OpenKneeboard\OpenKneeboard-Launch-WindowsApp.exe

> Subsequently - how would i uninstall if i cant get it to work?

"Add or Remove Programs"

My projects:

D’oh I was launching with a mismatch of elevation - both need to be admin or both not.  Found that in the GitHub.  Sorry Fred I should have looked there first.

I’m getting the message history and aircraft tabs now - just have to test a bit more but I think everything is working. 

Am I correct to expect it to be pulling all the flight frequencies and tacans in from briefing - didn’t see that’s in my test miz- maybe I need to try a different miz..

> Am I correct to expect it to be pulling all the flight frequencies and tacans in from briefing - didn’t see that’s in my test miz- maybe I need to try a different miz..

If the mission kneeboard images (not briefing) include it, they should be shown in the 'Mission' tab.

If you're on a stable release, nothing from the briefing will be shown. If you're on the betas, there is a separate briefing tab, but it doesn't include the frequencies/tacans unless the mission author put them in the briefing text or images. If someone can show me how to figure those out from the LUA files in the theater and mission (ideally without using DCS functions), I can add them.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting really inconsistent behavior, as it only opens/works sometimes. I tried to launch DCS without admin as I've read in the troubleshooting and it doesn't seem to improve.
one thing I've noticed, even if its not showing in VR, the kneeboard tab in windows shows the actual briefing. centering bind for VR is the same for openkneeboard.

EDIT: defaulted the settings, installed a updated c++ library or something and it now works all the time, the problem is its always on a different setting/position 😞

Edited by t-stoff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"