VR HMD vertical alignment.

Ourorborus

I know the HMD alignment system is simulated however it doesn't allow alignment of a VR HMD.

When conducting alignment, the cross hair has to be put on the other cross hair. Unfortunately, this does not correct for VR headset alignment.

To explain. The center of the HMD display is placed over what the sim thinks is the center of our VR HMD. However, if for example the VR HMD physically points slightly upwards on our face, the sim thinks we are looking slightly up, even though we looking straight ahead. i.e. the real center of the VR HMD is below  where the sim thinks it is.

Consequently to align the cross hairs during the alignment procedure the pilot has to physically tilt their head down.

Once "aligned" the HMD display remains high within the VR HMD for the duration of the flight. (for me it is about 4degrees)

The reverse would happen if the VR HMD pointed slightly down on your head.

To replicate this issue, place two pads between your VR HMD cheek pads and your face to physically tilt it upward, and see where the HMD display sits in your field of view.

Request a setting (even in a lua) to permanently/semi-permanently account for personal variations of VR HMD fitment.

• Thanks 3

On 2/1/2022 at 10:52 PM, Ourorborus said:

the VR HMD physically points slightly upwards

Thanks for bringing this up. I get this on the A-10 as well. I thought it was either just my eyes or my headset (Valve Index). The HMD display always appears up and slightly to the right for me. It failed alignment when I tried to force it down using the built in alignment system. The symbology overlaying external objects (other aircraft, mark points etc) appears correctly over the associated item, just not in the center of your vision. The problem is exacerbated by VR headset sweet spot issues causing the HMD display to be blurry as well as misaligned. 

I can adjust the left right alignment with a "VR recenter" keybind. In fact the recentre keybind works for 5 degrees of movement, forward back, left right, , up/down, rotate left right, but not tilt up down. That is fixed slightly high for me.

For ED to replicate, it is NOT noticeable unless using an in game HMD display such as the F18 JHMCS. It is the JHMCS that displays high/low, not the whole VR picture.