Wish - Update on Multicore and Vulkan

Nomatic

11 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I also hope this move to Vulkan will fix the shimmering in VR. I don't know enough about the subject to know what it is that actually causes the current shimmering, but I hope there is something that can be done to fix it...

Antialiasing has really not much to do with Vulkan and Multicore apart from the fact that you could spend the possible gains in performance on better image quality 🙂

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 minutes ago, draconus said:

Antialiasing has really not much to do with Vulkan

I’m not talking about AA, which is just a workaround. I’m talking about the removing the cause of the shimmering, which I suspect has to do with stereoscopic rendering.

Removing jaggies are not going to help with game objects only rendering half per frame, which you can clearly see when looking at power pylons and fences.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

6 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I’m not talking about AA, which is just a workaround. I’m talking about the removing the cause of the shimmering, which I suspect has to do with stereoscopic rendering.

Removing jaggies are not going to help with game objects only rendering half per frame, which you can clearly see when looking at power pylons and fences.

You only mentioned shimmering so how'd I know. But this is not the job of Vulkan/Multicore either.

I'd like to have it fixed too but that needs some rendering code fix/improvement.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I’m talking about the removing the cause of the shimmering

I always thought that one of the strongest contributors to VR shimmering are jaggies in near-horizontal or near/vertical lines, and the fact that they are strongly accentuated by minute head movement. Put differently, one of the best anti-shimmering measures that I know is temporal AA, but this may just be coincidental. What part of stereoscopic rendering introduces shimmer that is not linked by jaggies? I admit that it has been some time since I worked in that field, and I'd love to reduce shimmer in my VR, so any guidance is welcome. 

That being said, I we get a big performance boost, I'd be happy to spend part of that on any anti-shimmer 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The only way to effectively remove shimmering in vr is using some temporal AA like TAA or DLSS. Hopefully vulkan gives access to it

• Like 2

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

23 hours ago, A Hamburgler said:

All I know is I cannot wait for my CPU to actually be fully utilized. With the current state my CPU frame times go through the roof when I'm on the ground or near a lot of AI even though my CPU is only 15% utilized.  

Vulkan API will use less of your CPU than DX11 API did, as commands are sent more to the GPU and not to the CPU to process.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

19 hours ago, DigitalEngine said:

"What is Spock doing over there?" 

Or, he could go about it a bit more subtle: briefly showing some new (Vulcan)-specific items on the settings page, while muttering "fascinating..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, cfrag said:

Or, he could go about it a bit more subtle: briefly showing some new (Vulcan)-specific items on the settings page, while muttering "fascinating..."

This… this is what I could see happening.

Edited by Nomatic
  • Like 1

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

• 1 month later...

Very late post on this but could someone competent on reddit start a poll to see if people would be willing to pay for vulkan and multicore development? I would ...the way I see it they have to keep developing modules to maintain an income stream. If we are prepared to pay a subscription fee or base game one off fee and Ed contractually committed to spend that income on the core engine they could employ new developers to do the work on the core or modules. Not sure how they make money unless they change the financial model...modules will always be priorities otherwise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Regperinwodge said:

Very late post on this but could someone competent on reddit start a poll to see if people would be willing to pay for vulkan and multicore development? I would ...the way I see it they have to keep developing modules to maintain an income stream. If we are prepared to pay a subscription fee or base game one off fee and Ed contractually committed to spend that income on the core engine they could employ new developers to do the work on the core or modules. Not sure how they make money unless they change the financial model...modules will always be priorities otherwise.

You're new here, so keep in mind this is not first or last idea, but this is what devs think about it:

• Like 2

I'd love another update like the one they posted in October, just to give us an idea of whether they've made progress of not. Obviously they have, and I'm not asking for a timeframe; just an update on what they've done since they last chatted with us, whats being done now, and whats left to do.

Ya know: a stand-up for your customers about this long-awaited, long-sought-after feature!

Much love to ED for making my favorite game/sim I've ever played.

Multicore support is getting critical.

Last night i was testing with OpenXR overlay, trying to find where i have fps drops and almost 95% of the time i have a drop it´s because of CPU, having the GPU more than enough room to maintain 72 fps on VR, specially on SuperCarrier, and that with a 9700k overclocked to 5ghz, is insane

• Like 5

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi all, 

as we have mentioned in the past as soon as we have news to share on multicore and vulkan we will let you all know. 

Multicore will likely come first and is already in the late stages of development. 

thank you

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2