Petrovich: attack target inside inner gunsight circle

scoobie

Hi folks!
Sorry for wrong nomenclature here and there, I don't have DCS with me here.

There used to be two methods for telling Petrovich which target you want him to attack:
Method 1: Petrovich menu, look at the general target area, Petrovich forward short (e.g. "W"), select target from the list, confirm with Petrovich right short (e.g. "D").
Method 2: Place the target inside the inner small gunsight circle (pilot's gunsight) and press button "XYZ" (I can't remember the binding name). Petrovich should attack this particular target.

I used method 2 a lot and it used to work. Since one of the latest OB updates (I think THE latest, but I'm not sure), it doesn't seem to work.

When I press the "XYZ" button in current OB, and - rest assured - only one target is within the small gunsight circle (no risk of ambiguity), the list of nearby targets pop up - exactly as in the method 1. Point is, in many cases the method 1 is inferior to 2, it's a long story, but method 2 was super cool, my favourite.

Does any of you use method 2? Does it still work for you?

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Why is 1 inferior to 2? When you scroll through the list reticule will jump to show you position, just select your wanted target from the list?

And TBH, I know of simplified AI, where Petrovich is boresighted, but you need to keep piper manualy on target all the time

Inferior because unnecessary (in some cases). I have to scroll throught the goddamned list 🙂, e.g. "APC1, APC2, APC3, APC4", see where he places his "aim cross" to find the one I want, then confirm, then repeat for another target.

Method 2 is fast - aim, press the button, kill. I have it bound conveniently to my pinky button on TM Warthog. This helps attack a few targets in a single run before I fly into their guns/cannons range. Of course the obvious trick is to shoot closer targets first. It feels like telling Petrovich "Man, see the APC ahead? The nearest one? Shoot this one!", instead of (use strong Russian accent for this one) "Comrade pilot, I can see a myriad of juicy steel bugs on the ground, let me decribe them for you in terms of their category and I will conveniently enumerate them for you, then let's talk about which one you like most". I don't wanna talk that much, I want kaboom! 🙂

Yep, in the "one button" method I need to aim beforehand and then keep aim, but everyone has to keep aim sooner or later - to support the missile, so... no sweat, I can keep it for good old chap Petrovich, I like flying those whirl-top things, so it's even more fun for me if I have to be precise 🙂
I don't claim the method 1 (target list) is "cr*p" or something, not at all, it's good in some cases, while method 2 is good in other cases.

Anyway, both methods used to work, now the "one button" method stopped working for me, so I wonder whether I messed something up on my end or it's a bug, or maybe a design decision on ED's part.

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious myself about this method so I mapped "Designate Target" under "Petrovich" AI helper which is under "MI-24 Pilot".  When pointing the pilots gunsight at the target area it's bringing up the list in the same way that the other method works (multiple targets close to each other). So it's working this way for me as well, he is not selecting just one target but bringing up a list of targets you must select.

However if the target is alone he locks onto it automatically, so it seems they are both the same command it's just that with method 1 he will search where you are looking when you give him the command and in method 2 he looks where the gunsight is boresighting at that moment. 

So what you are saying is that in the past using method 2 he would never bring up the selection method even if there were multiple targets near the boresight? (even if there were other targets in the "area")

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...

As an add onto this, and why it would be useful, is there a maximum number to the targets that can be listed? I've been trying to do the H4 Mission  and using missiles to take out the Gepards is almost impossible because there are just too many targets. Even when you point the cursor right at a Gepard and tell Petro to look he often lists about a dozen other targets and you just have to select one, tell him to look again, and it's totally random whether he'll  show you a AAA listing to select. As far as I know there's no way to set his target priority but being able to look directly at a target and hit a designate button would kind of solve this.

In DCS the old gods are dead and we pray to the new gods RNG and Fate. It's time to toss the dice.

1 hour ago, ColonelColt said:

As an add onto this, and why it would be useful, is there a maximum number to the targets that can be listed? I've been trying to do the H4 Mission  and using missiles to take out the Gepards is almost impossible because there are just too many targets. Even when you point the cursor right at a Gepard and tell Petro to look he often lists about a dozen other targets and you just have to select one, tell him to look again, and it's totally random whether he'll  show you a AAA listing to select. As far as I know there's no way to set his target priority but being able to look directly at a target and hit a designate button would kind of solve this.

The target priority is based on danger. AAA will always be shown first of all other targets are infantry or APC or IFV or even tanks. SR SAMs will be shown above AAA. If you point it at te geoards in those missions, and it shows vehicles first, it does not see AAA at all. In that mission the revetments seem to cause funny issues, it may take a few tries and angles but the only thing that should be shown before AAA in the list is SAMs

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

4 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

The target priority is based on danger. AAA will always be shown first of all other targets are infantry or APC or IFV or even tanks. SR SAMs will be shown above AAA. If you point it at te geoards in those missions, and it shows vehicles first, it does not see AAA at all. In that mission the revetments seem to cause funny issues, it may take a few tries and angles but the only thing that should be shown before AAA in the list is SAMs

Alright good to know. I almost thought it was the revetments but I thought it was weird because I turned on labels and clearly if I was *really* low they weren't display but when I rose up the Gepard labels would appear but Petrovich still wouldn't see them. So is there a limit to the number of targets that can be listed at once?

In DCS the old gods are dead and we pray to the new gods RNG and Fate. It's time to toss the dice.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Aqil Huseynov said:

During the night flights, A.I does not see any targets.

This has been reported already in another thread.

• Like 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3