You can lock the aircraft with radar on the ground

FrostLaufeyson

Maybe a similar question to this thread, but I noticed that if an aircraft has ECM turned on, my radar can lock onto enemy aircraft on the ground even in SIL state.

I've inadvertently locked onto air targets several times while on the ground, the last time I noticed was my teammates turning on ECM.

Not sure if ECM is the main reason for this

RADAR ECM BUG.trk

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was more going towards since we can only step through radar trackfiles at the moment (until we have the ability to step MSI offboard tracks), the trackfiles should time out or remain offboard on the ground while the radar isn't emitting.

If the radar track is still in memory after WonW then it's all good.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I was more going towards since we can only step through radar trackfiles at the moment (until we have the ability to step MSI offboard tracks), the trackfiles should time out or remain offboard on the ground while the radar isn't emitting.
If the radar track is still in memory after WonW then it's all good.
Yes, but these are AOTs from jammers. The radar dosen't emit, but the reciever is still energized to receive incoming radar emissions. Hence the onboard track.

• ED Team

Hi, to follow up on this I have a replay from the team.

In SIL mode and on the ground, radar works only for receiving. If the target emits interference, then the radar sees it. 

This is correct as is. 

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
On 4/17/2022 at 3:43 PM, Tholozor said:

Designating L&S isn't dependent on A/A master mode, but the underlying issue has already been reported.

That report has since been marked correct as is, if you have more for this report, let me know.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 4/19/2022 at 3:15 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, to follow up on this I have a replay from the team.

In SIL mode and on the ground, radar works only for receiving. If the target emits interference, then the radar sees it. 

This is correct as is. 

thank you

Is everyone here running on different builds? Perhaps MP makes a difference.

Here's what my radar does (latest OB, tested in SP only):  WonW puts the radar on stby. Maltese cross is showing, scan stops.  I had a ST lock on a friendly when approaching a runway on short final. Stayed in A/A and maintained the lock till touchdown. About 4secs after WonW, the lock disappeared, radar went to stby and the contact changed into D/L fed symbol. Same radar behavior before T/O. All my tests were from hot starts though, if that makes any difference. I also pressed NWS button numerous times with WonW, same.

Next, I tried jamming bandit. Going head on against a Flanker with jamming pods. He turned them on fairly close and his ST jumped into a AOT dugout. I pressed SIL and the radar behaved similar to previous tests. All contacts turned D/L only, AOT disappeared.

I remember providing a track a while back showing the issue with radar on the ground creating a track when NSW button was pressed. Not anymore though.

Edited by oldcrusty

Is everyone here running on different builds? Perhaps MP makes a difference.
Here's what my radar does (latest OB, tested in SP only):  WonW puts the radar on stby. Maltese cross is showing, scan stops.  I had a ST lock on a friendly when approaching a runway on short final. Stayed in A/A and maintained the lock till touchdown. About 4secs after WonW, the lock disappeared, radar went to stby and the contact changed into D/L fed symbol. Same radar behavior before T/O. All my tests were from hot starts though, if that makes any difference. I also pressed NWS button numerous times with WonW, same.
Next, I tried jamming bandit. Going head on against a Flanker with jamming pods. He turned them on fairly close and his ST jumped into a AOT dugout. I pressed SIL and the radar behaved similar to previous tests. All contacts turned D/L only, AOT disappeared.
I remember providing a track a while back showing the issue with radar on the ground creating a track when NSW button was pressed. Not anymore though.
Did the Flanker track indicate jamming? "J" next to the HAFU symbol.

The radar is still scanning in SIL, the B-sweep actually shouldn't be frozen as it is in DCS.

8 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Did the Flanker track indicate jamming? "J" next to the HAFU symbol.

The radar is still scanning in SIL, the B-sweep actually shouldn't be frozen as it is in DCS.

Yep, 'J' was there.  For some weird reason, the first press of the 'SIL' button simply drops the track. The second press silences the radar.