Cockpit sounds cutting out in the F-14A after use of afterburner...

JupiterJoe

...you cannot hear the cockpit's systems (cooling fans and whatnot).  Just the wind whistling past the canopy and compressor whine (and the air-con, if you have it engaged).  Sound is restored once you drop back below a certain speed.

Edited by JupiterJoe

3 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

So, full MIL thrust @450 or so? Did you shut off the ECS to verify as well?

It's after using the afterburner.  Same with ECS switched off.  It also happens in single player.  Sound comes back below a certain speed  (exact criteria is yet to be determined).

Edited by JupiterJoe

• JupiterJoe changed the title to Cockpit sounds cutting out in the F-14A after use of afterburner...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I notice a weird whine when reducing airpseed and getting close to the tanker, before deploying the probe... Im not sure it´s the same thing discussed on this topic

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Hm, weird. That should have been fixed in the meantime. We will take another look.

8 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

The whole internal sounds need a rework - same as the canopy not having any effect on the engine and external sounds when open, like in every other module.

They certainly do not. We completely overhauled them around the release of the TF-30s. The canopy + external sounds thing is a DCS limitation. But we won't rework any internal sounds.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

14 hours ago, IronMike said:

The canopy + external sounds thing is a DCS limitation.

It most certainly is not a limitation - it works in other modules just fine. Closing canopy dampens external sounds.

Edit: Just to confirm that it also work in F-14, if you didn't know.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

2 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

Exactly, it works in every single other module I know. 

Including F-14A/B, mind you! Just tested @open beta.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

9 hours ago, draconus said:

It most certainly is not a limitation - it works in other modules just fine. Closing canopy dampens external sounds.

Edit: Just to confirm that it also work in F-14, if you didn't know.

Oh yeah the dampening, but to have a completely external soundscape come to live I mean, which ideally should include more. From dunno, ground crew, bird sounds if you like (stupid example), different weather noises, etc etc...

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

18 minutes ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

Ok, just tested on my end in the latest open beta - canopy position has no effect on internal engine sounds in both the A and B. Tried in hotstarted jets on the ramp. So either it somehow works for you (of which I'd kindly request video proof) or it simply is not the case.

This is an item still on the list, you will likely currently also not hear the minor differences, as they are being drowned out by the ECS, which ofc is not affected by canopy position. If you turn it off, you hear more of a difference. But external engine sounds flooding the cockpit when the canopy is open is yet to come.

Here's a video to compare open and closed canopy with ECS turned off.

And we agree, we can do better than this, and will. (But that has nothing to do with internal sounds.) 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

6 minutes ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

And this is what I meant from the start - with an open canopy you shouldn't even hear the ECS or canopy mecahnism at all. It should literally be defening like it sort of is in the Mig-29, F-16 and other modules out of memory. The current sound mix internally seems very weird to me.

Why do you say you should not hear the ECS or canopy mechanism at all? Do you have any sources for that? Other than other DCS modules? The ECS in the Tomcat was extremely loud.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

You do also need to do some of your own mixing in the audio settings. Not everyone is pumping everything through one speaker. So you have to balance it for your equipment. Especially if you run external speakers and a headset. Or headphones over earbuds etc. 

I do wish ICS side tone and switch noises were on their own channels, but that’s a DCS limitation. 

I still don’t understand how you can have anything more than a 2 channel headset. Signal processing magic, or just manufacturer lying?

Either way, you do what you need to do to make it work. F-14 isn’t other modules, and other modules aren’t the F-14. And none of them know or care what equipment you have.

Others are saying we hear it different from you. And actual F-14 pilots helped Heatblur make that soundscape, so. Assume client side.

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

Oh yeah the dampening, but to have a completely external soundscape come to live I mean, which ideally should include more. From dunno, ground crew, bird sounds if you like (stupid example), different weather noises, etc etc...

Not at all stupid. Put a cold Tomcat at the night in Caucasus ex. in Beslan AFB. You'll hear crickets, howling wolfs (or is it a bird sound?), etc. all gone after closing canopy. Weather sounds are affected too.

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Not at all stupid. Put a cold Tomcat at the night in Caucasus ex. in Beslan AFB. You'll hear crickets, howling wolfs (or is it a bird sound?), etc. all gone after closing canopy. Weather sounds are affected too.

I think I was a bit unclear, and limitation was the wrong word. What I meant by that is that we have no influence on the non-aircraft external sounds, as it is DCS side. But the external aircraft sounds when the canopy is open and engines are running, indeed need improvement from us.

Anyway, we digressed far from the initial bug report. Let us try to get back on topic.

We have yet to find the cause for why that is happening, hopefully we can do so soon. From what I could gather so far it happens predominantly for VR users.

Heatblur Simulations

2 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I think I was a bit unclear, and limitation was the wrong word. What I meant by that is that we have no influence on the non-aircraft external sounds, as it is DCS side. But the external aircraft sounds when the canopy is open and engines are running, indeed need improvement from us.

Anyway, we digressed far from the initial bug report. Let us try to get back on topic.

We have yet to find the cause for why that is happening, hopefully we can do so soon. From what I could gather so far it happens predominantly for VR users.

Happens to me as well, non vr user here. Sometimes coming out of afterburner in the F14A causes the issue as OP describes. It does come back on its own though by playing with the throttle.

9 hours ago, IronMike said:

From what I could gather so far it happens predominantly for VR users?

I'm not a VR user either.  It's an internal sound issue when airborne.  To reiterate, after AB use in the F-14A one or more internal sound files stops playing (cockpit avionic cooling fan sounds, or whatever.  It's a perpetual/looped file that doesn't change tone with speed, but is noticeable when it's absent).  The file begins playing again when the aircraft falls below a certain speed/throttle position.  This sudden change in the soundscape of course hurts immersion a little, but is not a huge deal.

Would HB maybe consider posting a spreadsheet/snagging list of currently tracked bugs (Ejection arming switch sound file looping for example) and not yet implemented features (engine fire extinguishers for example)?  Colour coded for priority of course.  Perhaps if there was an updated spreadsheet/snagging list for everyone's reference, pinned to the very top of the Bugs & Problems Forum? 

The F-14 is the jewel in the crown of DCS and is a landmark in the field of simulation.  What you guys do with the resources you have is nothing short of incredible.

Edited by JupiterJoe

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - cockpit sounds reappear after gate when the engine rpm decreases below 76%. LEFT engine rpm to be specific.

Doesn’t seem to have anything to do with throttle settings, speeds or vr.

As an example:
If you’re flying with a lot of smash on the airplane - it takes a while for the engines to spool down after idling - hence leaving you without the sounds for quite a bit of time. 
If - on the other hand - you’re performing a gate climb at say 200kias in a vertical, and then idling - your cockpit sounds reappear almost instantly due to the fact that the engines are spooling down rapidly.

Edited by gorma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1