TrackIR 5 and Tobii Eye Tracker 5 comparison

I made this video seeing as there was a lack of good comparisons between the two. This is mostly for people who are deciding between the two, or want to upgrade from the TrackIR 5 to the Tobii Eye Tracker 5 (spoiler alert: don't if you primarily want it for DCS). I hope this helps.

Edited by SageNTitled
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From my own experience I strongly second this! Don't switch from TrackIR to Tobii until you really need to. The lag of Tobii (not to mention the pain to set up functioning curves) gave me more nausea than my first VR steps.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Yeah, I sent mine back, was no good compared to track ir.....

• Like 2

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Backy 51 said:

Using Tobii 5 on a 55" 4K TV and loving it.  TIR 4 just could not track well off the ball cap reflectors positioned at that seat height disparity.  Every setup is unique.

Trackir4? The thread was comparing V5 which is head and shoulders above V4

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, [WF]-Templar said:

Tobii 5.  Set it up, turn off eye tracking, tune head tracking = awesome.

TrackIR5 in the bin - the hardware is obsolete - the world moves on.  Naturalpoint have / did not.

Don't get rid of TrackIR until satisfied with Tobii though....... 😬

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 hours ago, [WF]-Templar said:

Agreed completely. 

It went in the bin 10 minutes later.

The Tobii? Yeah, mine too!

1 hour ago, [WF]-Templar said:

Hell no man.

The TrackIR!

You must be very tolerant towards lag.....

Kidding aside. I see how beneficial the Tobii solution would be in theory. That's why I bought one. My conclusion after testing was however, that it doesn't work as good as TrackIR. Main problem from my point of view is the software. The adjustment possibilities are lacking and the responsiveness is bad. Compared to TrackIR it has noticable more input lag, which caused more nausea for me than my first steps with VR.

Bottom line - pretty much a matter of taste and preferences. But to announce TrackIR obsolete is bit of a stretch.

as ever, of course a view / opinion.  Horses for courses.  However, in my case I've been around a while since the days of LOMAC, a former tester for ED with BS and A10C and been around longer than these forums have.  TrackIR is dead for me.  Tobii 5 is the way to go.  As for Lag?  Nope.  none.  Like an opinion or view, everyone has one and, it's all about how it's set up.  

Mine's wicked.

Enjoy!

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

35 minutes ago, [WF]-Templar said:

However, in my case I've been around a while since the days of LOMAC, a former tester for ED with BS and A10C and been around longer than these forums have. 

<slow clap> 🙄

doesn’t make your opinion any more valid….

20 hours ago, [WF]-Templar said:

Tobii 5 is the way to go.  As for Lag?  Nope.  none.  Like an opinion or view, everyone has one and, it's all about how it's set up.

Please do show your setup/settings. I failed to get the Tobii Eye Tracker anywhere near as responsive and accurate as the TrackIR.

• Thanks 1

I’m really not happy with the Tobii, even if I deactivate the eye tracking when I use the zoom if I move my eyes it continues to work as if it were set with a reduced sensitivity of + \ - 95% and if I move the eyebrows or any facial muscles I have po same problem.  I have tried many settings but with poor results.  I haven't tried TrackIr yet ...

On 4/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, Hiob said:

<slow clap> 🙄

doesn’t make your opinion any more valid….

no it doesn't.  It does however mean I've been around a bit and used all variations of TrackIR, know how to setup, finetune etc etc which, whether you agree or not, brings credence.  Look, everyone has a view, everyone's toleration of what they want in a tracker is different, I get that - all I'm saying is that Tobii works very well for me - it may not for you.  Back to TrackIR you go and enjoy it.

Edited by [WF]-Templar

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

On 4/12/2022 at 1:37 AM, [WF]-Templar said:

no it doesn't.  It does however mean I've been around a bit and used all variations of TrackIR, know how to setup, finetune etc etc which, whether you agree or not, brings credence.  Look, everyone has a view, everyone's toleration of what they want in a tracker is different, I get that - all I'm saying is that Tobii works very well for me - it may not for you.  Back to TrackIR you go and enjoy it.

I'm curious that you like Tobii so much. I really want to like it, but I sent mine back after a few days, mainly because of the image jumping around when looking at cockpit dials etc. compared to TrackIR.

Did you not see that issue at all?  It is demonstrated well in the video in the first post around 6'40! 

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box