Rudder trim use (adjustments in flight) for cruise, dogfight and Landing phases

Hamilton

Dear friends,

I just bought this module and I have a question about the rudder trim use, I mean after take off, do you keep changing that setting in the various phases of the flight or is it basically the same setting, and during landing phase, what rudder trim setting do you use for landing ?

Thanks!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

For take off full right rudder trim, for other phases of flight as required. If you have rudder pedals you don't need to trim much because you can compensate slip with rudder pedals.

With rudder trim you mitigate slip, and slip will depend on power, speed of the plane basically you need to correct trim very often in warbirds.

Slip/turn indicator ofc had to be different then in other planes because British design

You want this upper arrow be in the middle all the time. But i will say that rudder trim is useful only for calm flying, take off, cruise, landing for combat trim won't help much, rudder pedals is the way.

7jDbCCh.png

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

You want this upper arrow be in the middle all the time. But i will say that rudder trim is useful only for calm flying, take off, cruise, landing for combat trim won't help much, rudder pedals is the way.

Thank you so much for your answer, yes I have a rudder pedal. So, if I understand correctly, I take off with full Right rudder trim (or less), and after that I adjust according to the phases of the flight, sorry to insist, for landing, what time would you suggest to "zero" the trim.

Thanks again!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

@Hamilton "Full right rudder for take off" this is procedure from Spitfire manual,  you can use what ever you like, what fits you best this is just a game. This right rudder trim is part of plane configuration for climb, you use high power and with low speed it require a lot of right rudder, so to make it easier for pilot trim lifts some workload from pilot.

"zero" the trim never happens 🙂 , You compensate your slip with rudder pedals or with trim if you want put your foot off from rudder pedals that's it.

• Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 minutes ago, grafspee said:

You compensate your slip with rudder pedals or with trim if you want put your foot off from rudder pedals that's it.

@grafspee Thanks a lot sir, last question 😃.  In your case, do you use any rudder trim for landing?

I "zero" the slip with whatever rudder trim necessary after extending gear and flaps on downwind leg and slowing down to 120-130, 'cause that's close to approach speed I'm going to have soon on final and it's the last phase when I still have time and altitude to do it.

There's no time, however, to fiddle with trims on base and final, as there are more important things to cope with in these critical phases. As graf said, it's pedals then all the way to touch down.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, Art-J said:

I "zero" the slip with whatever rudder trim necessary after extending gear and flaps on downwind leg and slowing down to 120-130, 'cause that's close to approach speed I'm going to have soon on final and it's the last phase when I still have time and altitude to do it.

There's no time, however, to fiddle with trims on base and final, as there are more important things to cope with in these critical phases. As graf said, it's pedals then all the way to touch down.

This!!

• Like 1