Clean Canopy Glass

Caldera

Hey All,

As I am acquiring more and more DCS aircraft modules I have noticed something vastly different in the canopy modeling.  Where I should actually post this thread is unknown to me.

This is the A-10C ii (I am running Taz's canopy mod which I believe just removes the yellow tint)

Glass Fog 07 .gif

The canopy is clean as a whistle

This is the AV-8B

Glass Fog 02 .gif

This is the F-16C

Glass Fog 06 .gif

OK...

I could go on and on.  Sometimes these canopy effects are so extreme I can not see didly as the entire view point is blanked out like some one pulled a plastic bag over my head.  For reality sake or not, either way I don't really like this effect.  I much prefer the clear canopy of the A-10C ii.

I do not know which is more true for the A-10C ii:

• Canopy effect is not modeled
  • Pilots visor effect is modeled

For the other aircraft, I think that these canopy effects are beautifully modeled and that the effect is absolutely stunning.  And to me, they seem very very realistic if I were a camera sitting on the pilots shoulder (YouTube videos).  However, this is not the case, as I am indeed simulating that I am the simulated eyeballs of a simulated pilot viewing the world through a simulated helmet visor or even simulated aviators glasses.

Is there an option some where to do away with this effect or do I need an aircraft by aircraft mod of some sort?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

• Like 1

@Caldera - its pretty well known issue. FA-18C too by the way. i could not find an answer. but honestly i never noticed until now. now i cannot get it out of my head. lol. seriously though. reflections are a thing.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Silver,

F-16C default

Glass Fog 06 .gif

F-16C with options changed

Glass Fog 09 .gif

Glass Fog 10 .gif

Buzz,

This is my system options

Glass Fog 11 .gif

Maybe some one could suggest a mod?

Caldera

The setting in Options only disables static reflection and those are cubemap reflections.  Only way I know of to disable them is using Simple Glass option in Kegety's shader mod.

• Like 2

Silver,

Yes, the outside lighting has a large effect. 

The Mod that Taz suggested, it will fail IC unfortunately.   But it sounds inspiring with even a substantial FPS gain.  But it is either use that or no MP for many servers.

And...

I guess this effect has been an in place for quite a few years and I am just the one of the latest victims to not really enjoy it.  There has been no in game solution or alternative.

This is a picture from a AV-8B west of Batumi at 0815 and gave me a serious WTFO moment.  Guess what it is I am looking at?

Glass Fog 13 .gif

The effect seems a bit overdone if not allot overdone, maybe it works and looks better in VR.  I do not know.  I kind of doubt a that pilot wearing a visor would ever notice this much effect.  I call it the "GoPro effect".  I have seen similar views out the side of the P-51D. 

Like you said, once I start to notice this effect it becomes about all I focus on and ruins my immersion.  As for the AV-8B, for this one effect, I am starting wish that maybe that I had decided not to purchase.  Other than that, the module is allot of fun.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

@Caldera - LOL. any open canopy in route to target. 😉 seriously though. i have been messing around in F16 and the lighting from Sun definitely affects the reflections. i do not have anything as pronounced as what your harrier screenshot shows. as i had said before, real world would have similar effects but would not look like a Monet painting for sure. i looked at a GR video and at about 5:15 into it he looks around and over his shoulder and no reflection. maybe its an old video or something else. https://youtu.be/cPt9Fli14EA

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

There is always reflection on glass within any cockpit, it is the law of physics and how light travels and bounces around and reflects off other surfaces.

I think its one of those totally superb, no compromise designs in the DCS engine!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

16 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

There is always reflection on glass within any cockpit, it is the law of physics and how light travels and bounces around and reflects off other surfaces.

I think its one of those totally superb, no compromise designs in the DCS engine!

I wouldn't argue with some compromise, though--IRL, you'd know instinctively how to move around to deal with glass reflections, but in DCS they don't behave exactly like they should IRL

• Like 1

for sure the sim is not quite like real life, but it is a start.

I think some sort of mod should be used to clear the glass, but without doubt an integrity check in multiplayer is an essential way of kicking those mods out in order to level the playing field to DCS default.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

perhaps this should be requested as a wishlist item. i have not spent a lot of time thinking about it until i saw this post. lol. the reflection 'anomaly' moves around, giving you the sensation of what it would be like irl.

4 hours ago, WRAITH said:

The only thing I can suggest is to have a option in game feature in SETTINGS and turn off sun glare and allow the canopies to just appear like glass no reflections or weather affects

my thought too. like the yellow or clear checkbox in F-16. it may even help some fps issues.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, silverdevil said:

sorry i was incorrect. i can still see reflections. if i look over a shoulder towards the sun it is pronounced. though honestly it seems to be realistic.

when I said that over a year ago first time that in some models there is an issue I was harrassed by fanboys... now we have those f*** issues in nearly every module; it was first in the su-25 / T and the A-10A; then in all other planes ED "Updated" with this buggy things. I even sent TRK / Screens to the support, but it is ignored. Better, Bigtralalaa muted me a time for being too "explicit" after months of talking and nothing happend. Those reflections are even worse when you fly nightmissions with NVGs in the Ka-50. You aint see a s**t.

23 hours ago, ASAP said:

It would be sweet if the gun gas actually builds up on the windscreen too. They'd have to model the window wash feature to go along with it.

let them fix the actual mess first, god knows what they break when they implement that...

On 2/5/2022 at 7:56 PM, Caldera said:

Silver,

Yes, the outside lighting has a large effect. 

The Mod that Taz suggested, it will fail IC unfortunately.   But it sounds inspiring with even a substantial FPS gain.  But it is either use that or no MP for many servers.

And...

I guess this effect has been an in place for quite a few years and I am just the one of the latest victims to not really enjoy it.  There has been no in game solution or alternative.

This is a picture from a AV-8B west of Batumi at 0815 and gave me a serious WTFO moment.  Guess what it is I am looking at?

Glass Fog 13 .gif

The effect seems a bit overdone if not allot overdone, maybe it works and looks better in VR.  I do not know.  I kind of doubt a that pilot wearing a visor would ever notice this much effect.  I call it the "GoPro effect".  I have seen similar views out the side of the P-51D. 

Like you said, once I start to notice this effect it becomes about all I focus on and ruins my immersion.  As for the AV-8B, for this one effect, I am starting wish that maybe that I had decided not to purchase.  Other than that, the module is allot of fun.

Caldera

I own nearly every module aside some warbirds; for warbirds i use IL2 - much better damage models, smoother and imo also a great modelwork, except you are an ED fanboy ^^

A10ii currently does not have any canopy reflections modeled with the latest updates, and if DCS ever does model reflections again at some point with future A10 updates, they will most certainly 'unmodel' it again with other updates.   At least this has been the case throughout the A-10s development history.  

I've never upgraded DCS world since before the new cloud modeling system was implemented.   I still have realistic canopy reflections implemented on my version of the A10ii, along with full TGP functionality under all weather conditions.   The latest is not always the greatest in regard to software development. 

Rogue,

On 2/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, Rogue Trooper said:

Yes...   I agree that the effect is totally superb.  It is phenomenal really.

And I do realize this is a IRL effect.  I have noticed it many times watching aircraft videos (and driving my car).  These videos are typically done with a GoPro camera or some such.  There is not a filter used on the camera that I can tell and these effects are what you would most likely see if you were not wearing any sort of eye covering.

This is typically, not the case post WW2?

What Are Polarized Lenses For? - American Academy of Ophthalmology

I am sure that a pair of expensive Ray-Ban's would take care of a great deal of it or even a very cheap pair of polarized fishing glasses, no less a modern jet pilots helmet face shield.  FWIW these eye coverings do not always need to be dark to be very effective. 

The DCS simulation misses that part.  That is my point.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Rogue,

Yes...   I agree that the effect is totally superb.  It is phenomenal really.

And I do realize this is a IRL effect.  I have noticed it many times watching aircraft videos (and driving my car).  These videos are typically done with a GoPro camera or some such.  There is not a filter used on the camera that I can tell and these effects are what you would most likely see if you were not wearing any sort of eye covering.

This is typically, not the case post WW2?

What Are Polarized Lenses For? - American Academy of Ophthalmology

I am sure that a pair of expensive Ray-Ban's would take care of a great deal of it or even a very cheap pair of polarized fishing glasses, no less a modern jet pilots helmet face shield.  FWIW these eye coverings do not always need to be dark to be very effective. 

The DCS simulation misses that part.  That is my point.

Caldera

FWIW, I'm not sure if helmet visors are polarized to remove sun glare anymore, since they also render LCD screens visible only at certain angles.  Polarizing filters are great for removing surface reflections, but tinted unpolarized visors and glasses don't do that, they just reduce eyestrain.  Anyone know?